VPN question.

I have set up a VPN server with a Linksys router that allows only one VPN
connection at a time. I can get in remotely and have access to whatever
resources are shared on the Win2k server.

My question is how do I see the rest of the Network at the office?

Thanks.

What is it you want to connect to? You probably won't be able to browse the
network, but you should be able to access other computers/servers'
resources.....can you ping them by IP address? By name?

Charles C. wrote:
> I have set up a VPN server with a Linksys router that allows only one
> VPN connection at a time. I can get in remotely and have access to
> whatever resources are shared on the Win2k server.
>
> My question is how do I see the rest of the Network at the office?
>
> Thanks.

How do I access the other computers? I only see the server I am connecting
to.

Thanks.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> What is it you want to connect to? You probably won't be able to browse
the
> network, but you should be able to access other computers/servers'
> resources.....can you ping them by IP address? By name?
>
> Charles C. wrote:
> > I have set up a VPN server with a Linksys router that allows only one
> > VPN connection at a time. I can get in remotely and have access to
> > whatever resources are shared on the Win2k server.
> >
> > My question is how do I see the rest of the Network at the office?
> >
> > Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "see" - and what are the other computers running?
Are you trying to use remote desktop on them?

Charles C. wrote:
> How do I access the other computers? I only see the server I am
> connecting to.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ubRWvLMUEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> What is it you want to connect to? You probably won't be able to
>> browse the network, but you should be able to access other
>> computers/servers' resources.....can you ping them by IP address? By
>> name?
>>
>> Charles C. wrote:
>>> I have set up a VPN server with a Linksys router that allows only
>>> one VPN connection at a time. I can get in remotely and have
>>> access to whatever resources are shared on the Win2k server.
>>>
>>> My question is how do I see the rest of the Network at the office?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

I have access to the remote server's resources like the harddisk is what I
mean by 'see' but I can't 'see' the other computers on the remote network.
If I 'Search' for the remote server from my computer it finds it but it
does not find the other computers on the remote network.
Do I need to setup RADIUS?

Thanks.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Not sure what you mean by "see" - and what are the other computers
running?
> Are you trying to use remote desktop on them?
>
> Charles C. wrote:
> > How do I access the other computers? I only see the server I am
> > connecting to.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:ubRWvLMUEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> What is it you want to connect to? You probably won't be able to
> >> browse the network, but you should be able to access other
> >> computers/servers' resources.....can you ping them by IP address? By
> >> name?

You can't browse across most routed connections. Does your network use WINS?
If so, include the WINS server address in your local TCP/IP config
properties and see if that works.

Or, you should be able to search for each computer by IP address....and/or
do a "blind map" even if you can't browse to it.

Charles C. wrote:
> I have access to the remote server's resources like the harddisk is
> what I mean by 'see' but I can't 'see' the other computers on the
> remote network. If I 'Search' for the remote server from my computer
> it finds it but it does not find the other computers on the remote
> network. Do I need to setup RADIUS?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:u8o$RrUUEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Not sure what you mean by "see" - and what are the other computers
>> running? Are you trying to use remote desktop on them?
>>
>> Charles C. wrote:
>>> How do I access the other computers? I only see the server I am
>>> connecting to.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:ubRWvLMUEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Shouldn't I still be able to ping other computers on the remote network even
if there is no WINS server?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> You can't browse across most routed connections. Does your network use
WINS?
> If so, include the WINS server address in your local TCP/IP config
> properties and see if that works.
>
> Or, you should be able to search for each computer by IP address....and/or
> do a "blind map" even if you can't browse to it.
>

> Charles C. wrote:
> > I have access to the remote server's resources like the harddisk is
> > what I mean by 'see' but I can't 'see' the other computers on the
> > remote network. If I 'Search' for the remote server from my computer
> > it finds it but it does not find the other computers on the remote
> > network. Do I need to setup RADIUS?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:u8o$RrUUEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> Not sure what you mean by "see" - and what are the other computers
> >> running? Are you trying to use remote desktop on them?

Sure, by IP address....

Charles C. wrote:
> Shouldn't I still be able to ping other computers on the remote
> network even if there is no WINS server?
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:uhvoAipUEHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You can't browse across most routed connections. Does your network
>> use WINS? If so, include the WINS server address in your local
>> TCP/IP config properties and see if that works.
>>
>> Or, you should be able to search for each computer by IP
>> address....and/or do a "blind map" even if you can't browse to it.
>>

>> Charles C. wrote:
>>> I have access to the remote server's resources like the harddisk is
>>> what I mean by 'see' but I can't 'see' the other computers on the
>>> remote network. If I 'Search' for the remote server from my
>>> computer it finds it but it does not find the other computers on
>>> the remote network. Do I need to setup RADIUS?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:u8o$RrUUEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Okay so what I don't get is that I can make the VPN connection to the remote
server, logon, map a drive of this remote server, yet I can't ping the
remote server I mapped a drive to, nor can I ping any other computer on the
remote network?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Sure, by IP address....
>
> Charles C. wrote:
> > Shouldn't I still be able to ping other computers on the remote
> > network even if there is no WINS server?
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:uhvoAipUEHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> You can't browse across most routed connections. Does your network
> >> use WINS? If so, include the WINS server address in your local
> >> TCP/IP config properties and see if that works.
> >>
> >> Or, you should be able to search for each computer by IP
> >> address....and/or do a "blind map" even if you can't browse to it.

Sounds odd to me, too - but note that ping has nothing to do with browsing,
which is what you were asking about. Are you talking about pinging by
*local* IP address? That should work....

Charles C. wrote:
> Okay so what I don't get is that I can make the VPN connection to the
> remote server, logon, map a drive of this remote server, yet I can't
> ping the remote server I mapped a drive to, nor can I ping any other
> computer on the remote network?
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:OrUPFqTVEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Sure, by IP address....
>>
>> Charles C. wrote:
>>> Shouldn't I still be able to ping other computers on the remote
>>> network even if there is no WINS server?
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:uhvoAipUEHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Yes. The computers at the remote network have static IP's such as
192.168.1.150, the server has a static IP 192.168.1.195. I can't ping these
IP's but I can do a search for the remote server by name (the 192.168.1.195)
and map a drive to it.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Charles C. wrote:
> Yes. The computers at the remote network have static IP's such as
> 192.168.1.150, the server has a static IP 192.168.1.195. I can't
> ping these IP's but I can do a search for the remote server by name
> (the 192.168.1.195) and map a drive to it.

More and more bizarre. You can't ping the server, even by IP address, but
you can map a drive to it? Search? Can you search for the other IPs? I'd say
this is something in your VPN config - I'm not that familiar with MS VPN as
I always set it up on a firewall that can handle VPN, but this sounds fishy.
Event log errors of any sort? Does everyone have the same issue? What server
is handling VPN?

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:O$iOMvbVEHA.3024@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Sounds odd to me, too - but note that ping has nothing to do with
>> browsing, which is what you were asking about. Are you talking about
>> pinging by *local* IP address? That should work....
>>
>> Charles C. wrote:
>>> Okay so what I don't get is that I can make the VPN connection to
>>> the remote server, logon, map a drive of this remote server, yet I
>>> can't ping the remote server I mapped a drive to, nor can I ping
>>> any other computer on the remote network?
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:OrUPFqTVEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

This may be solved or forgotten by now as it's several days old..but...
For starters which Linksys Router are you using and what firmware version ? I've had good and bad results with VPN and Linksys routers.

If you're running a XP or 2K on your workstation, run route print after you get your vpn connection established. You can see from there what is going on with your routing.

Does your linksys router happen to be a newer one that works as a vpn server itself or are you using Microsoft's VPN Server?

Once you've connected to the VPN, if you are using Microsoft VPN, do a net view command. I've seen the computers listed fine that way but not via the NN or MNP icons.

If you have more computers with shared resources, try a net use command to one of those computers after you establish the VPN connection.

There are any number of reasons that the problem you describe can be occuring, right down to the Linksys Router itself.

If you supply more details, I can help you sort this out but there is no point in working blindly.

Supply the following information.

Router Details with firmware version.
What Server OS are you using.
What Workstation OS are you using.
What protocols are you connecting with.
Is the VPN Server actually Microsoft's VPN or is it VPN on the router as is possible iwth the newer linksys routers.
Once connected, what does the net view command yield after you've been connected for several minutes?
What does your route print command tell you?