remote desktop

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

I have a network everywhere cable/dsl 4 port router and
winxp pro can not get it to connect using remote desktop
on my lap top it also has winxp pro i used dmz it didn't
work so could some one tell how to setup my router please

Forward TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of the XP Pro Remote Desktop host machine, which is
hopefully using a static IP address on your home LAN. Call, from a remote location, using the public
IP of the router.

http://www.portforward.com/networkeverywhere/nr041.htm

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Note that you can test this by...

1. Connecting your laptop to your home LAN via a wired/wireless link. Using Remote Desktop call the
desktop using its LAN IP.
2. Go to a remote location, or use a dialup link to the internet, with the laptop and call using the
public IP of the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP. You can *NOT* call the public IP of the
router from the laptop if the laptop is connected to the local LAN.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"billy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a network everywhere cable/dsl 4 port router and
> winxp pro can not get it to connect using remote desktop
> on my lap top it also has winxp pro i used dmz it didn't
> work so could some one tell how to setup my router please

---