USB 2.0 external HDD....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2004 2:25:15 PM

Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097

Thanks
Mike

More about : usb external hdd

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:25:16 PM

I should work OK, but keep in mind that USB is more CPU intensive than just
about any other hard drive connection method. Firewire is less CPU intensive.

"Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
> video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:25:16 PM

"Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
> video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Mainly overheating.
Many of these units are fanless products, the designers apparently gambling
that they will last the warrant period.
Complaints have been noted about Lacie, Maxtor, and Western Digital.
The drives run so hot that the bearing lubricant oxidizes.

Buy an external case with a fan and instaall the drive yourself.
Related resources
October 12, 2004 2:25:16 PM

I lost more than one drive to overheating. Even cases with a fan
actually have no air circulating through the case, as there is no
intake port for air to flow through.

I finally bought an accessory fan that clips on front of the case, it
contains 3 small fans behind a plastic grille, and it clips in the
place of the front panel. However, this is no good unless there is a
way for hot air to exhaust. Right now on the present rig, I have to
run with the rear of the cover cracked open to let the hot air out.
You will be surprised how much heat a large hard drive will generate.
The little fan accessory (called "Hard Drive Cooling Kit" sells for
about $8 and worth 5 times the price.

I have lost 3 ADS external cases due to failure (one is now sitting on
the desk awaiting a replacement - I won't buy ADS again) and a few
hard drives, although two were still under warranty, but I lost the
data).

My advice from experience, don't trust these things as being reliable,
most are expensive junk. If anyone knows of a good one, please let me
know. They all seem to be made by the same few chinese companies.
I have yet to find one that you can run reliably in it's enclosure.

Rant over.

Jim

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:25:15 +1000, "Mike Alpha"
<mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
>video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
>http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
>
>Thanks
>Mike

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:31:36 PM

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs
for
> > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
> > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike
> >
> Mainly overheating.
> Many of these units are fanless products, the designers apparently
gambling
> that they will last the warrant period.
> Complaints have been noted about Lacie, Maxtor, and Western Digital.
> The drives run so hot that the bearing lubricant oxidizes.
>
> Buy an external case with a fan and instaall the drive yourself.

My other choice was going to be a Seagate Barracuda HDD in an external case,
so I'll make sure it's also fan cooled.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 12:17:26 AM

I was just about to buy one. I want to use it to store digital images, movie
clips, and Drive Image system baclups.

If I leave it unattached to the computer and only turn it on when I have
something to write to it, would that solve the overheating problem?

Allen
--
C and A Bredt
"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
> I lost more than one drive to overheating. Even cases with a fan
> actually have no air circulating through the case, as there is no
> intake port for air to flow through.
>
> I finally bought an accessory fan that clips on front of the case, it
> contains 3 small fans behind a plastic grille, and it clips in the
> place of the front panel. However, this is no good unless there is a
> way for hot air to exhaust. Right now on the present rig, I have to
> run with the rear of the cover cracked open to let the hot air out.
> You will be surprised how much heat a large hard drive will generate.
> The little fan accessory (called "Hard Drive Cooling Kit" sells for
> about $8 and worth 5 times the price.
>
> I have lost 3 ADS external cases due to failure (one is now sitting on
> the desk awaiting a replacement - I won't buy ADS again) and a few
> hard drives, although two were still under warranty, but I lost the
> data).
>
> My advice from experience, don't trust these things as being reliable,
> most are expensive junk. If anyone knows of a good one, please let me
> know. They all seem to be made by the same few chinese companies.
> I have yet to find one that you can run reliably in it's enclosure.
>
> Rant over.
>
> Jim
>

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:25:15 +1000, "Mike Alpha"
> <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
> >video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
> >http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
> >
> >Thanks
> >Mike

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 1:53:28 AM

> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs
> for
> > > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
> > > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Mike
> > >
> > Mainly overheating.
> > Many of these units are fanless products, the designers apparently
> gambling
> > that they will last the warrant period.
> > Complaints have been noted about Lacie, Maxtor, and Western Digital.
> > The drives run so hot that the bearing lubricant oxidizes.
> >
> > Buy an external case with a fan and instaall the drive yourself.
>
> My other choice was going to be a Seagate Barracuda HDD in an external
case,
> so I'll make sure it's also fan cooled.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Mike

This is a fanless enclosure I think works:
http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submi...

The enclosure is heavy extruded aluminum, and the drive can be sinked by one
side to the case.
My assessment is that it's as good as conduction cooling is going to get.
I bought five, and they work.
If you can find a fan cooled enclosure that actually has an air inlet, that
would be better.
October 13, 2004 4:57:23 AM

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I was just about to buy one. I want to use it to store digital images,
>movie
> clips, and Drive Image system baclups.
>
> If I leave it unattached to the computer and only turn it on when I have
> something to write to it, would that solve the overheating problem?
>
> Allen
> --
Allen,
That should be fine, what happens also, some of these drives have no on/off
switch on them and people forget to unplug them after turning off their
computers and so they run day and night, that isn't good.

But it really is so simple to make an external one for what you describe and
save money.
Buy any HD, &200 rpm is better, and should find them on sale or with a
rebate pretty cheap.
Then buy a good external enclosure with fan cooling and on/off switch on the
unit, check out www.newegg.com
and expect to pay around $30 for a good USB2 case.
Plug the Hard Drive ribbon and power cables together, screw the HD to case,
close case and viola!
That is it! Plug it in and go to the control panel, then administrative
tools, then computer management and finally choose storage. Then in the disk
management tab choose the empty drive and format it.
It sounds harder than it is.
Good Luck,
AnthonyR.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 9:50:19 PM

You should get an external enclosure with fan. Usually, for those who
want an external hard drive and with tight budget, they mount an
internal IDE hard drive with an external enclosure. But, the major
issue with this method is none other than the heating issue.

To solve this problem, or to be on the safe side, get an external
enclosure with fan, which are usually built at the rear. That should
be in the decision of everyone when shopping for a 3.5 case external
enclosure.

Unless you are willing to spend more on external hard drive, which is
the combination of 2.5 case and a laptop hard drive, there is no
heating issue with this kind of external hard drive because the laptop
hard drive itself does not generate much heat.

The last resort, if you have no choice at all, try to remove the
casing cover whenever you are using it, so that it leaves more space
for air circulation. It should work fine for everyone, but do not
touch any circuit or metal area in the case or the hard drive, or not
you will get electric shock.

Hope these notes help! If you want to know more about external
enclosure, please visit this website at

http://www.removable-storage-guide.com

"Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<416b2478$0$20127$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
> video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 7:06:29 AM

>Unless you are willing to spend more on external hard drive, which is
>the combination of 2.5 case and a laptop hard drive, there is no
>heating issue with this kind of external hard drive because the laptop
>hard drive itself does not generate much heat.

In the 5 different 2.5 inch external HDD enclosures (USB 2.0, '1394 v1), the
HDDS (Toshiba, Fujitsu, IBM) get too hot to touch if run longer than 30 minutes
with the enclosures' tops installed. If you think notebook HDDs "don't generate
much heat", I suggest you run your notebook for a couple of hours then pop the
HDD out...for safety, you'd best wear thermal gloves.
>casing cover whenever you are using it, so that it leaves more space
>for air circulation. It should work fine for everyone, but do not
>touch any circuit or metal area in the case or the hard drive, or not
>you will get electric shock.
>
>Hope these notes help! If you want to know more about external
>enclosure, please visit this website at
>
>http://www.removable-storage-guide.com
>

>"Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
>> video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
>> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike

webpa
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:17:37 AM

I've decided to go with an internal drive (I don't really need the
portability) but the heating issue still worries me. I might try an internal
HDD cooler like this - http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/HCP-3502.htm

Are there any issues to be wary of with internal HDD coolers?

Thanks
Mike

news:D e46e884.0411041850.6a7d0361@posting.google.com...

!