USB 2.0 external HDD....

Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097

Thanks
Mike
10 answers Last reply
More about external

    I should work OK, but keep in mind that USB is more CPU intensive than just
    about any other hard drive connection method. Firewire is less CPU intensive.

    "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
    > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
    > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    Mainly overheating.
    Many of these units are fanless products, the designers apparently gambling
    that they will last the warrant period.
    Complaints have been noted about Lacie, Maxtor, and Western Digital.
    The drives run so hot that the bearing lubricant oxidizes.

    Buy an external case with a fan and instaall the drive yourself.

    I lost more than one drive to overheating. Even cases with a fan
    actually have no air circulating through the case, as there is no
    intake port for air to flow through.

    I finally bought an accessory fan that clips on front of the case, it
    contains 3 small fans behind a plastic grille, and it clips in the
    place of the front panel. However, this is no good unless there is a
    way for hot air to exhaust. Right now on the present rig, I have to
    run with the rear of the cover cracked open to let the hot air out.
    You will be surprised how much heat a large hard drive will generate.
    The little fan accessory (called "Hard Drive Cooling Kit" sells for
    about $8 and worth 5 times the price.

    I have lost 3 ADS external cases due to failure (one is now sitting on
    the desk awaiting a replacement - I won't buy ADS again) and a few
    hard drives, although two were still under warranty, but I lost the
    data).

    My advice from experience, don't trust these things as being reliable,
    most are expensive junk. If anyone knows of a good one, please let me
    know. They all seem to be made by the same few chinese companies.
    I have yet to find one that you can run reliably in it's enclosure.

    Rant over.

    Jim

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:25:15 +1000, "Mike Alpha"

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs
    for
    > > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    > > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Mike
    > >
    > Mainly overheating.
    > Many of these units are fanless products, the designers apparently
    gambling
    > that they will last the warrant period.
    > Complaints have been noted about Lacie, Maxtor, and Western Digital.
    > The drives run so hot that the bearing lubricant oxidizes.
    >
    > Buy an external case with a fan and instaall the drive yourself.

    My other choice was going to be a Seagate Barracuda HDD in an external case,
    so I'll make sure it's also fan cooled.

    Thanks for your help.
    Mike

    I was just about to buy one. I want to use it to store digital images, movie
    clips, and Drive Image system baclups.

    If I leave it unattached to the computer and only turn it on when I have
    something to write to it, would that solve the overheating problem?

    Allen
    --
    C and A Bredt

    > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs
    > for
    > > > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    > > > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Mike
    > > >
    > > Mainly overheating.
    > > Many of these units are fanless products, the designers apparently
    > gambling
    > > that they will last the warrant period.
    > > Complaints have been noted about Lacie, Maxtor, and Western Digital.
    > > The drives run so hot that the bearing lubricant oxidizes.
    > >
    > > Buy an external case with a fan and instaall the drive yourself.
    >
    > My other choice was going to be a Seagate Barracuda HDD in an external
    case,
    > so I'll make sure it's also fan cooled.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Mike

    This is a fanless enclosure I think works:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=drive+enclosure&srchFor=N82E16817145320

    The enclosure is heavy extruded aluminum, and the drive can be sinked by one
    side to the case.
    My assessment is that it's as good as conduction cooling is going to get.
    I bought five, and they work.
    If you can find a fan cooled enclosure that actually has an air inlet, that
    would be better.

    "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I was just about to buy one. I want to use it to store digital images,
    >movie
    > clips, and Drive Image system baclups.
    >
    > If I leave it unattached to the computer and only turn it on when I have
    > something to write to it, would that solve the overheating problem?
    >
    > Allen
    > --
    Allen,
    That should be fine, what happens also, some of these drives have no on/off
    switch on them and people forget to unplug them after turning off their
    computers and so they run day and night, that isn't good.

    But it really is so simple to make an external one for what you describe and
    save money.
    Buy any HD, &200 rpm is better, and should find them on sale or with a
    rebate pretty cheap.
    Then buy a good external enclosure with fan cooling and on/off switch on the
    unit, check out www.newegg.com
    and expect to pay around $30 for a good USB2 case.
    Plug the Hard Drive ribbon and power cables together, screw the HD to case,
    close case and viola!
    That is it! Plug it in and go to the control panel, then administrative
    tools, then computer management and finally choose storage. Then in the disk
    management tab choose the empty drive and format it.
    It sounds harder than it is.
    Good Luck,
    AnthonyR.

    You should get an external enclosure with fan. Usually, for those who
    want an external hard drive and with tight budget, they mount an
    internal IDE hard drive with an external enclosure. But, the major
    issue with this method is none other than the heating issue.

    To solve this problem, or to be on the safe side, get an external
    enclosure with fan, which are usually built at the rear. That should
    be in the decision of everyone when shopping for a 3.5 case external
    enclosure.

    Unless you are willing to spend more on external hard drive, which is
    the combination of 2.5 case and a laptop hard drive, there is no
    heating issue with this kind of external hard drive because the laptop
    hard drive itself does not generate much heat.

    The last resort, if you have no choice at all, try to remove the
    casing cover whenever you are using it, so that it leaves more space
    for air circulation. It should work fine for everyone, but do not
    touch any circuit or metal area in the case or the hard drive, or not
    you will get electric shock.

    Hope these notes help! If you want to know more about external
    enclosure, please visit this website at

    http://www.removable-storage-guide.com

    "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<416b2478$0$20127$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
    > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
    > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    >Unless you are willing to spend more on external hard drive, which is
    >the combination of 2.5 case and a laptop hard drive, there is no
    >heating issue with this kind of external hard drive because the laptop
    >hard drive itself does not generate much heat.

    In the 5 different 2.5 inch external HDD enclosures (USB 2.0, '1394 v1), the
    HDDS (Toshiba, Fujitsu, IBM) get too hot to touch if run longer than 30 minutes
    with the enclosures' tops installed. If you think notebook HDDs "don't generate
    much heat", I suggest you run your notebook for a couple of hours then pop the
    HDD out...for safety, you'd best wear thermal gloves.
    >casing cover whenever you are using it, so that it leaves more space
    >for air circulation. It should work fine for everyone, but do not
    >touch any circuit or metal area in the case or the hard drive, or not
    >you will get electric shock.
    >
    >Hope these notes help! If you want to know more about external
    >enclosure, please visit this website at
    >
    >http://www.removable-storage-guide.com
    >

    >"Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs for
    >> video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    >> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Mike

    webpa

    I've decided to go with an internal drive (I don't really need the
    portability) but the heating issue still worries me. I might try an internal
    HDD cooler like this - http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/HCP-3502.htm

    Are there any issues to be wary of with internal HDD coolers?

    Thanks
    Mike

    "Victor Ng" <khuenping@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > You should get an external enclosure with fan. Usually, for those who
    > want an external hard drive and with tight budget, they mount an
    > internal IDE hard drive with an external enclosure. But, the major
    > issue with this method is none other than the heating issue.
    >
    > To solve this problem, or to be on the safe side, get an external
    > enclosure with fan, which are usually built at the rear. That should
    > be in the decision of everyone when shopping for a 3.5 case external
    > enclosure.
    >
    > Unless you are willing to spend more on external hard drive, which is
    > the combination of 2.5 case and a laptop hard drive, there is no
    > heating issue with this kind of external hard drive because the laptop
    > hard drive itself does not generate much heat.
    >
    > The last resort, if you have no choice at all, try to remove the
    > casing cover whenever you are using it, so that it leaves more space
    > for air circulation. It should work fine for everyone, but do not
    > touch any circuit or metal area in the case or the hard drive, or not
    > you will get electric shock.
    >
    > Hope these notes help! If you want to know more about external
    > enclosure, please visit this website at
    >
    > http://www.removable-storage-guide.com
    >

    > "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Are there any known issues with using Hi speed USB 2.0 externall HDDs
    for
    > > video editing? I'm thinking of getting the LaCie 160GB HDD.
    > > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10097
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Mike

Tuner Cards Video Editing USB External Hard Drive Graphics