No full screen mode for DOS programs?

Tags:
  • DOS
  • Command Prompt
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 27, 2009 4:05:06 PM

Hello friends.
I am supposed to run an old DOS program on my Windows 7 OS. But when I try to run i get the message
c:\winndows\system32\cmd.exe
This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I tried to change the compatibility mode of the application, which starts by a PIF file by the way, tried to run it in windows mode. But It simply wont work.
What should I do? I dont want to run it in XP virtual mode.

Thanks for the answers

More about : full screen mode dos programs

a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 6:33:33 PM

There is no DOS in Windows 7. Update the program or get an older computer to run it on, there are plenty of old ones around to give away.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 7:52:17 PM

...you can also install Dosbox
Score
Related resources
October 28, 2009 7:27:03 AM

Thanks for the answers. Though non of them helps me.
I know that there is no DOS, but there IS cmd.exe that allows to run the programs. All i need is to run it fullscreen. Strangely enuf, on another PC, with the same Windows 7 loaded, the program is working perfectly, with fullscreen. Surely there is something that has to be adjusted on my PC.
Score
November 12, 2009 2:08:24 AM

Hi,
Just loaded windows 7 and found the same problem - no full screen mode for dos programs. Did you find an answer?
Regards
GeoffL
Score
November 18, 2009 9:44:04 AM

My problem the same. Do you have answer?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2009 12:05:05 PM

Have a look here.
Score
November 22, 2009 12:04:33 AM

Hi,
I got the command prompt to run full screen but as soon as I load my stuff it goes back to the little window.
Geoffl
Score

Best solution

December 5, 2009 6:00:04 AM

fault123 said:
Thanks for the answers. Though non of them helps me.
I know that there is no DOS, but there IS cmd.exe that allows to run the programs.

Indeed, the fact is that NTVDM that is used to run DOS and 16-bit Windows programs still exist in 32-bit Windows 7.
fault123 said:
All i need is to run it fullscreen. Strangely enuf, on another PC, with the same Windows 7 loaded, the program is working perfectly, with fullscreen. Surely there is something that has to be adjusted on my PC.

The difference is that the WDDM drivers introduced with Vista and later have no full-screen support, where the XP display drivers does. Note that XP display drivers, however, has no support for any version of DirectX beyond 9 or Aero/DWM.
June 2, 2010 5:16:14 PM

Scotteq mentioned DosBox, but did not explain. DosBox is a programs that is used to run DOS programs on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It is available from www.dosbox.com

woodstrapper
Score
August 7, 2010 11:41:00 AM

for getting full screen mode in vista and 7 do as below
start>Run>cmd

after getting cmd prompt click on properties of cmd , click Font Tab
select font style as "consolas " and font size as "28"..after apply .,ok

you will see your cmd prompt full screen

enjoy

faisu.com
Score
March 25, 2011 4:59:06 PM

Scotteq said:
...you can also install Dosbox

Where, what & How can I get "DOSBOX".

bob rensen
Score
April 9, 2011 3:25:27 AM

uninstall your graphic driver and then press alt + enter on dos windows it will be appear in full screen...

sharad
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2011 10:06:06 PM

Excellent dude, I remember I used to do it a different way.. maybe something to do with compatability mode, but this doesn't seem to work anymore..

For all you who said, dosbox, font properties in DOS, install Microsoft Goldfish Edition blahblahbah, you all completely suck.
Disabling graphics is the answer. Thank you.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2011 4:50:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!