Travelling with a Pocket PC

May 22, 2004 11:52:13 AM

Good afternoon
Some help for a non-techie please.

I am going travelling for a while and want to maintain a
weblog journal on my own web space recording my
adventures (not original I know but...).

Can a pocket pc be used to author web page entries and
save them in the correct format?

Can I plug in my digital camera using a USB cable and
attach edited (ie reduced in definition and file size)
jpegs to the document?

Are the drivers for the USB generic drive available?

Can I then use some software to upload the whole thing to
my web host?

Can I use wifi to make the connection to the web host?

I clearly have a lot to learn but this seems to me to be
an ideal use for a pocket pc.

I have looked at the hp ipaq5550 but no-one seems to be
able to answer these question.

Any thoughts would be very gratefully received.

Kind regards
Jonathan

More about : travelling pocket

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 2:19:21 PM

Jonathan Scandrett wrote:

> Good afternoon
> Some help for a non-techie please.
>
> I am going travelling for a while and want to maintain a
> weblog journal on my own web space recording my
> adventures (not original I know but...).
>
> Can a pocket pc be used to author web page entries and
> save them in the correct format?

What format do you need them saved in? There is no "correct" format that
I am aware of but you are likely to be able to easily translate whatever
format you use to the "correct" format.

> Can I plug in my digital camera using a USB cable and
> attach edited (ie reduced in definition and file size)
> jpegs to the document?

Generally no. The USB port on a digital camera is a slave port and so is
the one on most pocketpc devices. Slave devices cannot talk to other
slave devices, only to a master device. If the memory card on the camera
is the same as the one on the ppc then you can transfer your pictures
that way.

> Are the drivers for the USB generic drive available?

See the answer above. Diskdrives are also slave devices.

> Can I then use some software to upload the whole thing to
> my web host?

Ah, there are some third party programs that do support html editing so
this must be the "correct" format you were refering to above. Yes, you
can use third party apps to edit html and then use an ftp program to
perform the upload assuming you have a modem or cell phone to do the
connection.

> Can I use wifi to make the connection to the web host?

If you can get close enough and if the wifi connection permits
uploading. Wifi is intended for browsing.

> I clearly have a lot to learn but this seems to me to be
> an ideal use for a pocket pc.
>
> I have looked at the hp ipaq5550 but no-one seems to be
> able to answer these question.
>
> Any thoughts would be very gratefully received.
>
> Kind regards
> Jonathan

Dale
--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

> Can I plug in my digital camera using a USB cable and
> attach edited (ie reduced in definition and file size)
> jpegs to the document?
>
> Are the drivers for the USB generic drive available?

How would you edit the photos? You don't mean on a laptop I assume? I
usually use my pocket pc to view photos I've taken by just transferring the
SD card from my camera. Don't know if that's any help.
May 22, 2004 7:58:07 PM

I was hoping to drag and drop image files, turn them into
small jpegs suitable for a web page all within the pocket
pc and then drop them into my web page. The Nikon has a
CF2 reader but the 5550 only takes SD. The 2210 takes
both but doesn't have the wifi capability. It's all too
complicated for me!!

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 7:58:08 PM

Jonathan,

You're almost right... the 5550 only NATIVELY accepts SD cards. You can add
a CF sleeve (or a PCMCIA sleeve) with which you can easily access the CF
card from your camera.

> I was hoping to drag and drop image files, turn them into
> small jpegs suitable for a web page all within the pocket
> pc and then drop them into my web page. The Nikon has a
> CF2 reader but the 5550 only takes SD. The 2210 takes
> both but doesn't have the wifi capability. It's all too
> complicated for me!!

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 7:58:09 PM

You can also use one of the many picture editors to edit the pictures enough
for the web. www.resco-net.com and
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/imageer/?en are just a few.

rights...

>> I was hoping to drag and drop image files, turn them into
>> small jpegs suitable for a web page all within the pocket
>> pc and then drop them into my web page. The Nikon has a
>> CF2 reader but the 5550 only takes SD. The 2210 takes
>> both but doesn't have the wifi capability. It's all too
>> complicated for me!!
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 6:26:26 AM

If your site is a Movable Type blog then you can use Pocket SharpMT
which I use to post most of my blog entries while mobile.

www.randyrants.com
James Kendrick
www.pocketpctools.com
.....using mobile devices since they weighed 30 lbs.
!