Aspect ratio correction

I've got some vidcaps at 704x384. These appear stretched in the horizontal
direction when played back through various players. I want to correct this
when I transfer to SVCD. It is interesting to note that when scaled to
480x480 for the transfer by TMPGENC, the resulting file looks about normal
on the computer screen preview, but it is stretched again when played back
through the DVD player. How can I fix this?

Is not your television that is stretching the image.?

"JohnBickerstaffe" <John@routerer.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> Is not your television that is stretching the image.?

This isn't the issue. Other vidcaps transferred to SVCD look OK on the TV.

This one looks like it was captured incorrectly (at 1.83:1 when the source
was the usual 1.3:1.) I want to take the aspect ratio back to 1.3:1
*before* I create the SVCD. Any suggestions on how to do this?

HansUndFranz <HansUndFranz@PumpedUp.net> wrote in

> I've got some vidcaps at 704x384. These appear stretched in the
> horizontal direction when played back through various players. I want
> to correct this when I transfer to SVCD.

Some different Google search terms found the answer. A resize to 512x384
in Virtualdub did the trick.