Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't execute and install .MSI files on Win 7 64bits

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 2, 2011 6:07:09 PM

Hello, I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my machine. I had 32-bits installed on my OLD computer, but since I got new , I installed 64-bits version.
I downloaded STEAM and tried to install it but it gives me an error saying :
The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
I need to fix this problem fast so I could play my games via Steam.
any help?
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2011 9:13:16 PM

Well I know steam works fine on x64, have it on sons pc, probably corrupt, did you download it from

http://cdn.steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.msi

Steam itself is only a 32-bit and probably won't go 64-bit until Windows 8 is released as rumour is its will but x64 only.
January 3, 2011 7:14:07 AM

well my friend is running Steam on x64 windows 7 ultimate. Also I heard that almost 25% of steam users is using x64 windows 7. Maybe I need to reinstall the windows?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 7:19:28 AM

Try downloading Steam again, it could just be a corrupt file.
January 3, 2011 7:28:48 AM

das_stig said:
Well I know steam works fine on x64, have it on sons pc, probably corrupt, did you download it from

http://cdn.steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.msi

Steam itself is only a 32-bit and probably won't go 64-bit until Windows 8 is released as rumour is its will but x64 only.

woash since i have my steam game disc i gonna try to install it from it. Gonna reply to u when i'm done
January 3, 2011 7:30:08 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Try downloading Steam again, it could just be a corrupt file.

downloaded it several times. Gonna install it from my Counter-Strike Athology disc.
January 3, 2011 7:38:02 AM

Fixed!
Solution
If you got a Disc when u bough the game, just plug the disc into ur computer and install it. It may ask u : Have u got Steam? Press no and It will install it :) 
Thanks all for ur help.
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 12:39:30 PM

Hmm. I have Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 on machines in my house, and I have never had any problem downloading and installing Steam.
January 3, 2011 6:54:44 PM

jitpublisher said:
Hmm. I have Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 on machines in my house, and I have never had any problem downloading and installing Steam.

nor did my friend :/ 
!