Newbie: Looking for reliable DVD-R Writer

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Sorry for cross-posting, just looking many opinions to transfer home
video to DVD.

My Toshiba dvd plays only -R DVD's so I am looking at getting a burner
that records -R's, but the only caveat (I think) is that my system is
an older BH6 BX Motherboard P3 800 mhz (the board officially supports
upto 500 mhz), but if necessary I can hook-up the burner to my
sister's Celeron 1.8Ghz but the hard drive is slow (old 20 gig 5400
rpm). If I can get a -+R that probably would be better.

Any opinions on which burners effectively burn @ -R with my [hardware]
limitations? Would I have to burn at 1X?

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about newbie reliable writer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Sam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry for cross-posting, just looking many opinions to transfer home
    > video to DVD.
    >
    > My Toshiba dvd plays only -R DVD's so I am looking at getting a burner
    > that records -R's, but the only caveat (I think) is that my system is
    > an older BH6 BX Motherboard P3 800 mhz (the board officially supports
    > upto 500 mhz), but if necessary I can hook-up the burner to my
    > sister's Celeron 1.8Ghz but the hard drive is slow (old 20 gig 5400
    > rpm). If I can get a -+R that probably would be better.
    >
    > Any opinions on which burners effectively burn @ -R with my [hardware]
    > limitations? Would I have to burn at 1X?
    >
    > Thanks

    Well, I just chose a random burner to review the specs. It happened to be a
    Plextor 12X retail box burner that is on sale at Newegg at the moment.
    (looks like a good deal, too)

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-131-327&DEPA=0

    Reading the system requirements, I think you should be OK if you have more
    than 128MB of RAM and a fast hard drive with about 20Gig or more of free
    space. The official specs list 128MB RAM, but you need more than that for
    the OS alone. The official specs list (6GB?) of hard drive space, but that
    would leave no space for a large swap file, unless your swap file is fixed.

    I think you'll be OK, as your system barely meets the requirements for a 12X
    burner. Therefore, I'd be surprised if you couldn't burn at least 4X speed
    on it. I'd recommend Ritek G04 DVD-R media for it. Most people report
    burning this media at 6X or 8X with no problem at all (I can verify that, as
    it burns at 6X on my NEC 8X burner), and you can find it CHEAP, if you look
    around. Newegg has the (ritek) ridata branded 50-pack spindle for $25, but
    I've seen 50-packs for less than $20. -Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Sam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry for cross-posting, just looking many opinions to transfer
    > home video to DVD.
    >
    > My Toshiba dvd plays only -R DVD's so I am looking at getting a
    > burner that records -R's,

    The burner is the easy bit, there are plenty of good ones around, and most
    (all?) PC DVD writers will burn -R/RW as well as +R/RW so compatibility
    shouldn't be an issue. FWIW the Pioneer DVR-A08XL is excellent, as is its
    cheaper, non dual-layer record capable older brother the A07XL.

    > but the only caveat (I think) is that my system is an older BH6 BX
    > Motherboard P3 800 mhz

    The problem you will have with that is capturing and encoding your video in
    the first place, before you even get to the burning stage.

    > Any opinions on which burners effectively burn @ -R with my
    > [hardware] limitations?

    The burner is effectively a non-issue, as all the ones you're considering
    will have throughput linking and buffer underrun protection, so the drive
    will throttle itself back if it can't get the information quick enough.

    > Would I have to burn at 1X?

    The limitations of your hardware would almost certainly prevent you encoding
    and burning on the fly at all, unless you have a hardware based capture
    solution you haven't told us about. If not, and you're planning to stick
    with your current PC, a hardware MPEG solution would seem to be the best
    bet. However, if your own hard disk is of the same vintage as your
    motherboard, it's a fair bet that you'll also be needing a new hard disk to
    store the files prior to burning.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    :
    : The burner is the easy bit, there are plenty of good ones around,
    and most
    : (all?) PC DVD writers will burn -R/RW as well as +R/RW so
    compatibility
    : shouldn't be an issue. FWIW the Pioneer DVR-A08XL is excellent, as
    is its
    : cheaper, non dual-layer record capable older brother the A07XL.

    Really? I have read reviews on Liteon DVD -R/RW, +R/RW where burning
    the +R/RW was very good but using - resulted in considerable coasters.
    One burner +R/RW, Khypermedia DVD Burner that I was looking at had a
    firmware upgrade to allow -R/RW, but even with the upgrade most got
    coasters.

    : > Would I have to burn at 1X?
    :
    : The limitations of your hardware would almost certainly prevent you
    encoding
    : and burning on the fly at all, unless you have a hardware based
    capture
    : solution you haven't told us about. If not, and you're planning to
    stick
    : with your current PC, a hardware MPEG solution would seem to be the
    best
    : bet. However, if your own hard disk is of the same vintage as your
    : motherboard, it's a fair bet that you'll also be needing a new hard
    disk to
    : store the files prior to burning.

    I don't think hard drive is an issue it has been upgraded to a WD 7200
    rpm 120 G drive. I am not familiar with hardware MPEG. Please tell me
    more.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Well, I have an old AMD 750MHz PC and just recently got an NEC ND-3500A 16x DVD
    DL burner. So far I've used generic 4 4x DVD-R and Memorex and 2 4x DVD+RW with
    out any problems and only once I got a buffer underrun.

    As for hardware MPEG, he's talking about a video capture board with an MPEG
    encoder chip. Otherwise, your processor has to do the encoding. It depends on
    the type of compression your using and the resolution you plan to capture.

    Sam wrote:

    > "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > :
    > : The burner is the easy bit, there are plenty of good ones around,
    > and most
    > : (all?) PC DVD writers will burn -R/RW as well as +R/RW so
    > compatibility
    > : shouldn't be an issue. FWIW the Pioneer DVR-A08XL is excellent, as
    > is its
    > : cheaper, non dual-layer record capable older brother the A07XL.
    >
    > Really? I have read reviews on Liteon DVD -R/RW, +R/RW where burning
    > the +R/RW was very good but using - resulted in considerable coasters.
    > One burner +R/RW, Khypermedia DVD Burner that I was looking at had a
    > firmware upgrade to allow -R/RW, but even with the upgrade most got
    > coasters.
    >

    > : > Would I have to burn at 1X?
    > :
    > : The limitations of your hardware would almost certainly prevent you
    > encoding
    > : and burning on the fly at all, unless you have a hardware based
    > capture
    > : solution you haven't told us about. If not, and you're planning to
    > stick
    > : with your current PC, a hardware MPEG solution would seem to be the
    > best
    > : bet. However, if your own hard disk is of the same vintage as your
    > : motherboard, it's a fair bet that you'll also be needing a new hard
    > disk to
    > : store the files prior to burning.
    >
    > I don't think hard drive is an issue it has been upgraded to a WD 7200
    > rpm 120 G drive. I am not familiar with hardware MPEG. Please tell me
    > more.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message

    : SO your mobo officially support up to 500Mhz processors, but youa re
    running
    : it at 800Mhz? Thats quite an overclock if true.

    Actually no. The motherboard isn't guaranteed to take any processor
    above a P3 500 mhz due to [various] mosfet designs. My mosfet happens
    to be one that actually can support the 800 mhz.
    :
    : Anyway, you would probably be restricted to lower burning speeds
    like 1X, or
    : maybe 2X. That old a system just cant keep up with the higher
    burning
    : speeds. If money is that tight that you cant afford to buy an
    updated pc,
    : personally I question buying a DVD burner at all, but to each his
    own.

    I have a 2.8G Dell Laptop, but it only has a DVD rom and no firewire
    connections. My movies all use firewire to transfer.
    :
    : At least buy one of the more reliable namebrands say a Pioneer
    : A06-A07(106-107), or the NEC-2500, or maybe a Sony DRU-500-510.
    There is
    : absolutely no need for you to buy the latest and greatest since your
    system
    : wont be able to burn at the higher speeds anyway, neither will that
    Celeron,
    : so save money and buy one of the older models of the multi-format
    burners,
    : and buy 1X media for the time being until you can afford to buy a PC
    worthy
    : of a DVD burner.
    :
    :
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    What speed(s) are you burning the DVD's? I really have no idea what
    resolution and/or compression I will need as the movies are on digital
    high8 and I wish to burn them to PAL and also to the regular NTSC for
    safekeeping.

    "Ed Coolidge" <semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    : Well, I have an old AMD 750MHz PC and just recently got an NEC
    ND-3500A 16x DVD
    : DL burner. So far I've used generic 4 4x DVD-R and Memorex and 2 4x
    DVD+RW with
    : out any problems and only once I got a buffer underrun.
    :
    : As for hardware MPEG, he's talking about a video capture board with
    an MPEG
    : encoder chip. Otherwise, your processor has to do the encoding. It
    depends on
    : the type of compression your using and the resolution you plan to
    capture.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Get yourself a SONY DRU 700a. It will burn anything and has the new
    NERO software bundled with it. If you have another CD drive in the
    puter it will burn from drive to drive.

    HAC
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    So far only 4x because I got the 4x DVD-Rs with the drive and I bought the 4x
    DVD+RW for backus (which is the fastest for rw media right now). Just bought 8x
    DVD+R but haven't tried them yet.

    As for encoding video, I have been able to do real-time encoding with my Radeon
    video card at standard NTSC resolution with MPEG2 compression. I'm not sure if
    it has any hardware encoding support, but if it did it's probably not much.
    Unfortunately, if the compression was too low my hard drive couldn't keep up and
    my dropped frames was 5% or higher. Since your's is probably faster this would
    be less of an issue.

    The problem with real-time video is that if the CPU isn't fast enough to encode
    it, frames will be dropped from the source. This depends on the resolution of
    the source and the compression used. Higher resolutions require more data to be
    encoded. Higher compression requires more power to encode it, but requires less
    space to store. This is where a faster CPU or hardware encoder can help. Once
    the video is encoded it's written to disk, but if it can't keep up frames will
    be dropped.

    You said that you would be recording PAL and NTSC, which would be the resolution
    and frames/second. I'm assuming that the source on high8 was recorded using one
    of those. I also assume that you would be using MPEG2 compression, which is
    standard for DVD video. Others such as DivX however would require a much faster
    CPU for real-time encoding. You should be able to do it. If you have problems
    with dropped frames, try increasing the compression ratio. If that doesn't
    reduce the precent of frames dropped then you'll need a hardware encoder.

    Sam wrote:
    > What speed(s) are you burning the DVD's? I really have no idea what
    > resolution and/or compression I will need as the movies are on digital
    > high8 and I wish to burn them to PAL and also to the regular NTSC for
    > safekeeping.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Sam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message...
    > I really have no idea what resolution and/or compression I will need
    > as the movies are on digital high8

    I wish you'd told us this stuff at the beginning, it would have made it a
    lot for us to work out your requirements. There's no such thing as "digital
    high8", BTW, there's "digital8", which is a digital system, and "hi8", which
    is an analog system.

    Are we to take it you have a digital8 camcorder, and use a firewire
    connection to get the video across to your PC. In this case do you already
    have a firewire card in the PC?

    > and I wish to burn them to PAL and also to the regular NTSC
    > for safekeeping.

    Why do you wish to use PAL *and* NTSC? If you are in a PAL country, it would
    be easiest (and best from a quality standpoint) to do all your work in PAL.
    If you live in an NTSC country, and your source video is NTSC, there is no
    point at all converting to PAL. Where do you live, what format is your
    source video in, and who do you want to be watching it (i.e. will you be
    sending it to relatives overseas or something)?

    Again it would be helpful to have greater knowledge of what your exact
    workflow will be here, as to a large extent we are being forced to advise
    you on the basis of an incomplete knowledge of what you are hoping to
    achieve. Assuming you have a D8 camcorder and a Firewire card in your PC,
    you will then need a method of transcoding the DV source video into MPEG2
    for burning to DVD. As stated up top, if you want to do this reasonably
    quickly, without loads of dropped frames, you will either need some sort of
    hardware encoder, or alternatively need to trade up to a system with a
    considerably faster processor.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    (replace .nospam.co.uk with .pipex.com in reply address)

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    :
    : I wish you'd told us this stuff at the beginning, it would have made
    it a
    : lot for us to work out your requirements. There's no such thing as
    "digital
    : high8", BTW, there's "digital8", which is a digital system, and
    "hi8", which
    : is an analog system.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    :
    : Are we to take it you have a digital8 camcorder, and use a firewire
    : connection to get the video across to your PC. In this case do you
    already
    : have a firewire card in the PC?
    :
    That is correct.

    : > and I wish to burn them to PAL and also to the regular NTSC
    : > for safekeeping.
    :
    : Why do you wish to use PAL *and* NTSC? If you are in a PAL country,
    it would
    : be easiest (and best from a quality standpoint) to do all your work
    in PAL.
    : If you live in an NTSC country, and your source video is NTSC, there
    is no
    : point at all converting to PAL. Where do you live, what format is
    your
    : source video in, and who do you want to be watching it (i.e. will
    you be
    : sending it to relatives overseas or something)?

    Yes, I will be sending the DVD overseas to relativies. Unlike
    televesions there, they are not sure if their dvd can play NTSC. The
    source is in NSTC.
    :
    : Again it would be helpful to have greater knowledge of what your
    exact
    : workflow will be here, as to a large extent we are being forced to
    advise
    : you on the basis of an incomplete knowledge of what you are hoping
    : achieve. Assuming you have a D8 camcorder and a Firewire card in
    your PC,
    : you will then need a method of transcoding the DV source video into
    MPEG2
    : for burning to DVD. As stated up top, if you want to do this
    reasonably
    : quickly, without loads of dropped frames, you will either need some
    sort of
    : hardware encoder, or alternatively need to trade up to a system with
    : considerably faster processor.

    I appreciate the advice. A while ago, I recorded some home movies
    onto the VCD format to playback on my DVD. I was not happy with the
    result. I don't need speed and I don't wish to shell out any more
    money, if possibel. I would like to accomplish something similar to
    an eariler post by Ed who has a similar system. The other option is
    to run it on another computer: P4 1.8 Gig Celeron w/256 megs of ram.
    However, I would need another hard drive for that machine, the other
    option is to do the video on my laptop: Dell P4 2.8G with 512 ram.
    But, I would have to get a firewire adapter and either DVD writer
    (internal or internal), but that would add more cost to the equation.
    Also, buying anything used is not an option as when I do, the product
    is always a dud (or soon becomes one).
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Thanks, but I don't believe I need dual layer as my dvd player doesnt
    play +R dvd's. They dont have a -R dual layer writer yet, do they?

    "HAC Brown" <leledog@comcast.net> wrote in message
    : Get yourself a SONY DRU 700a. It will burn anything and has the new
    : NERO software bundled with it. If you have another CD drive in the
    : puter it will burn from drive to drive.
    :
    : HAC
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:06:47 GMT, "Sam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Thanks, but I don't believe I need dual layer as my dvd player doesnt
    >play +R dvd's. They dont have a -R dual layer writer yet, do they?

    Well, get one that does :-) They're cheap enough.

    Sadly, the best advice to someone who paid big money for a DVD player
    when they first appeared is - bin it and replace with a cheap, modern
    unit that plays all formats.

Tuner Cards DVD Video Burner Graphics