Canopus ADVC-300 with the price?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 15, 2004 1:33:51 AM

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to find a plug in or some software to do what the ADVC-300 does
and not need to spend the $500 for this capture device. But no ones seems to
know of any software that can do 3d comb filtering and other restoration
features like the Canopus device, so I was wondering if this device really
does what it says?
Anyone see a big difference using it, and do you feel it's worth it for the
filter alone?
I already own a TBC and a DA-AD Converter, so if I bought this it would only
be to add the filtering before
making the dv files. Sounds like just what I am looking for.

Any opinion would be appreciated,
Thanks,
AnthonyR.

More about : canopus advc 300 price

October 15, 2004 6:14:31 AM

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I was hoping to find a plug in or some software to do what the ADVC-300
> does and not need to spend the $500 for this capture device. But no ones
> seems to know of any software that can do 3d comb filtering and other
> restoration features like the Canopus device, so I was wondering if this
> device really does what it says?
> Anyone see a big difference using it, and do you feel it's worth it for
> the filter alone?
> I already own a TBC and a DA-AD Converter, so if I bought this it would
> only be to add the filtering before
> making the dv files. Sounds like just what I am looking for.
>
> Any opinion would be appreciated,
> Thanks,
> AnthonyR.

Just wanted to add that all the reviews sound great for this product but I
wish someone on here
had first hand experience using it and would answer a few questions about
it.
:)

AnthonyR
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:02:15 PM

> "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >

> > seems to know of any software that can do 3d comb filtering and other
> > Any opinion would be appreciated,
> > Thanks,
> > AnthonyR.

I am thinking of getting a 300 too.... That 3d comb filter caught my eye.

Their 100 thingy was a great product, but no 3d comb.

my 2 cents
October 16, 2004 10:03:19 PM

In article <boGbd.166232$4h7.30249319@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> writes:

> "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I was hoping to find a plug in or some software to do what the ADVC-300
>> does and not need to spend the $500 for this capture device. But no ones
>> seems to know of any software that can do 3d comb filtering and other
>> restoration features like the Canopus device, so I was wondering if this
>> device really does what it says?
>> Anyone see a big difference using it, and do you feel it's worth it for
>> the filter alone?
>> I already own a TBC and a DA-AD Converter, so if I bought this it would
>> only be to add the filtering before
>> making the dv files. Sounds like just what I am looking for.
>>
>> Any opinion would be appreciated,
>> Thanks,
>> AnthonyR.
>>

> Just wanted to add that all the reviews sound great for this product but I
> wish someone on here
> had first hand experience using it and would answer a few questions about
> it.
>:)

I have the complete array of video equipment (including TBCs, DV50 decks and
DV25 decks, etc), and the Canopus ADVC300 makes DV25 look significant better in
general than the encoders in my DHR1000. The 3D comb has so many positive
attributes, with so few disadvantages, that I do believe that the Canopus
would be a good thing for anyone with old equipment to upgrade their capture
capability.

I haven't done very careful comparison of TBC'd (with my pro DPS TBC)
and non-TBC'd input to the ADVC300, but it appears that there is little
difference or advantage of using a pre-TBC operation on LD. (My LD
player has so much time base error that knocking into the LD player
will cause my DV50 decks to loose sync.

In general, using the lowest levels of noise reduction are best on my
ADVC300. Using higher levels of noise reduction seems to cause numerous
artifacts, but might be useful on noisy VHS or SVHS tapes.

John
October 17, 2004 9:04:33 AM

"John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message

>> Just wanted to add that all the reviews sound great for this product but
>> wish someone on here
>> had first hand experience using it and would answer a few questions about
>> it.
>>:)
>>
> I have the complete array of video equipment (including TBCs, DV50 decks
> and
> DV25 decks, etc), and the Canopus ADVC300 makes DV25 look significant
> better in
> general than the encoders in my DHR1000. The 3D comb has so many positive
> attributes, with so few disadvantages, that I do believe that the Canopus
> would be a good thing for anyone with old equipment to upgrade their
> capture
> capability.
>
> I haven't done very careful comparison of TBC'd (with my pro DPS TBC)
> and non-TBC'd input to the ADVC300, but it appears that there is little
> difference or advantage of using a pre-TBC operation on LD. (My LD
> player has so much time base error that knocking into the LD player
> will cause my DV50 decks to loose sync.
>
> In general, using the lowest levels of noise reduction are best on my
> ADVC300. Using higher levels of noise reduction seems to cause numerous
> artifacts, but might be useful on noisy VHS or SVHS tapes.
>
> John

John,
Thanks! for the input, it is appreciated.

AnthonyR.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 6:21:45 PM

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com>

> Hi Guys,
>
> I was hoping to find a plug in or some software to do what the
> ADVC-300 does and not need to spend the $500 for this capture device.
> But no ones seems to know of any software that can do 3d comb
> filtering and other restoration features like the Canopus device, so I
> was wondering if this device really does what it says?
> Anyone see a big difference using it, and do you feel it's worth it
> for the filter alone?
> I already own a TBC and a DA-AD Converter, so if I bought this it
> would only be to add the filtering before
> making the dv files. Sounds like just what I am looking for.
>
> Any opinion would be appreciated,
> Thanks,
> AnthonyR.

I don't know about the 'filter alone' part, but it has a lot of nice
features in one box.

There are two rows of switches for parameter controls, and the audio
/video capture will lock (or not if you set a switch for something more
problematic). IOW, it has some flexibility.

I've been very satisfied with the capture/conversion quality, esp
compared with the ATI AIW128 I've used.

david
October 23, 2004 12:16:52 AM

"david gourley" <davidg@ipass.net> wrote in message

> I don't know about the 'filter alone' part, but it has a lot of nice
> features in one box.
>
> There are two rows of switches for parameter controls, and the audio
> /video capture will lock (or not if you set a switch for something more
> problematic). IOW, it has some flexibility.
>
> I've been very satisfied with the capture/conversion quality, esp
> compared with the ATI AIW128 I've used.
>
> david

David,
thanks for the reply, I ordered on from newegg.com for only $465 and it
arrived yesterday, so I will
finally get to play around with it today! I like the fact it comes with
software to adjust the video parameters (proc amp).
This adds to the flexibility.
It seems much lighter and smaller than I thought it would be. I also own a
DataVideo TBC-1000 and it's heavy and big compared to this unit. I guess
things always get smaller as custom chips are made.
:)

Thanks again,

AnthonyR.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:09:48 PM

> "david gourley" <davidg@ipass.net> wrote in message
>>>

>> I don't know about the 'filter alone' part, but it has a lot of nice
>> features in one box.
>>
>> There are two rows of switches for parameter controls, and the audio
>> /video capture will lock (or not if you set a switch for something
>> more problematic). IOW, it has some flexibility.
>>
>> I've been very satisfied with the capture/conversion quality, esp
>> compared with the ATI AIW128 I've used.
>>
>> david
>
> David,
> thanks for the reply, I ordered on from newegg.com for only $465 and
> it arrived yesterday, so I will
> finally get to play around with it today! I like the fact it comes
> with software to adjust the video parameters (proc amp).
> This adds to the flexibility.
> It seems much lighter and smaller than I thought it would be. I also
> own a DataVideo TBC-1000 and it's heavy and big compared to this unit.
> I guess things always get smaller as custom chips are made.
>:)

Not a problem - I started to go for the 150, but this had more
flexibility and extra features. I think you'll be happy with it.

Amazing how much can be crammed into a small box these days <g>.

david
October 28, 2004 4:03:23 AM

> Not a problem - I started to go for the 150, but this had more
> flexibility and extra features. I think you'll be happy with it.
>
> Amazing how much can be crammed into a small box these days <g>.
>

> david

David,
I haven't tried it yet, believe it or not, will do some captures tomorrow.
Just registered it on
the Canopus site and seen that there is a firmware update for it to work
with Premiere Pro 1.5.
Hmm. I wonder what changed with 1.0 to 1.5 to require a firmware update to
be recognized?
Anyway, I downloaded the file and will run it before testing it.

Yes, it's amazing how small and powerful things are getting every year. :)

AnthonyR.
!