Original Half-Life on XP Pro - non-admin play

abe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

My son wants to play my old copy of Half-Life. I have a Windows XP
Pro machine with fast-user-switching enabled. My son has a normal
(non-administrator) account. I can start the game and it seems to
work (although I haven't done much with it yet). My son can't start
the game. When he tries there's no error message and nothing happens.
Event viewer looks clean. I modified the sierra tree to full-control
for all users on the PC. Any ideas?

** Due to SPAM I no longer receive email responses to
** newsgroup postings, so don't bother.

"Abe" <mark-news@PLEASE.NOSPAM.gags-r-us.org> wrote in message
> My son wants to play my old copy of Half-Life. I have a Windows XP
> Pro machine with fast-user-switching enabled. My son has a normal
> (non-administrator) account. I can start the game and it seems to
> work (although I haven't done much with it yet). My son can't start
> the game. When he tries there's no error message and nothing happens.
> Event viewer looks clean. I modified the sierra tree to full-control
> for all users on the PC. Any ideas?

Have you duplicated the registry settings for his user ID? I don't know if
there are any user-specific ones, but that's where you should start
looking...

abe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:39:57 GMT, "G Hardy"
<gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

>Have you duplicated the registry settings for his user ID? I don't know if
>there are any user-specific ones, but that's where you should start
>looking...

Thanks.

I check the properties on the EXE and checked the compatibility mode
stuff. Set it to W98/Wme and he was able to run it from his account.

** Due to SPAM I no longer receive email responses to
** newsgroup postings, so don't bother.

"Abe" wrote

> I check the properties on the EXE and checked the compatibility mode
> stuff. Set it to W98/Wme and he was able to run it from his account.

Ahh I guess you're running without Steam?
That's ok

What patch level are you on?
IIRC the latest (last pre Steam) it someting like 1.1.10

If you need help obtaining the patch (or other HL stuff) please let us know

- Peter