Question on Wireless Network Setup...

Hello,
First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using the
wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow recognize
it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else. But
now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up, NOT
the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks the
new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm guessing
this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no idea..)
I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get onto
it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with this
because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we instated
SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or tell
me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
Sincerely,
Kati
6 answers Last reply
More about question wireless network setup

    A lot of routers or AP's dont have a usb port. Before applying the settings
    from the USB drive you should log into the routers setup and enter the SSID
    and the WPA or WEP code into the right area. Then you should plug the USB
    into the other computers and set it up like that.

    Hope it helps

    Tom, U.K

    "Kati" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
    > well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
    > apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
    > our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
    > wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using the
    > wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
    > device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
    > information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
    > having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
    > router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
    > supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
    > plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow recognize
    > it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
    > Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
    > since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
    > wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else. But
    > now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up, NOT
    > the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks the
    > new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm guessing
    > this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no idea..)
    > I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get onto
    > it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with this
    > because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we instated
    > SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
    > another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or tell
    > me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
    > Sincerely,
    > Kati

    Hello Tom,
    Thank you for writing me back. I have a problem though, I only
    "sorta" understood your reponse. What do you mean by "I should log into the
    routers setup and enter the SSID and the WPA or WEP Code into the right
    area?" I have a CD for my wireless router. Do you mean that it's on that? So
    I have to put that in my computer and enter that router information manually?
    ~Kati

    "Tom" wrote:

    > A lot of routers or AP's dont have a usb port. Before applying the settings
    > from the USB drive you should log into the routers setup and enter the SSID
    > and the WPA or WEP code into the right area. Then you should plug the USB
    > into the other computers and set it up like that.
    >
    > Hope it helps
    >
    > Tom, U.K
    >
    > "Kati" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
    > > well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
    > > apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
    > > our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
    > > wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using the
    > > wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
    > > device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
    > > information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
    > > having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
    > > router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
    > > supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
    > > plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow recognize
    > > it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
    > > Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
    > > since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
    > > wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else. But
    > > now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up, NOT
    > > the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks the
    > > new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm guessing
    > > this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no idea..)
    > > I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get onto
    > > it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with this
    > > because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we instated
    > > SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
    > > another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or tell
    > > me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Kati

    yes, you should enter the router manually and it should give you some sort of
    page to enter the infomation manually.

    tom

    "Kati" wrote:

    > Hello Tom,
    > Thank you for writing me back. I have a problem though, I only
    > "sorta" understood your reponse. What do you mean by "I should log into the
    > routers setup and enter the SSID and the WPA or WEP Code into the right
    > area?" I have a CD for my wireless router. Do you mean that it's on that? So
    > I have to put that in my computer and enter that router information manually?
    > ~Kati
    >
    > "Tom" wrote:
    >
    > > A lot of routers or AP's dont have a usb port. Before applying the settings
    > > from the USB drive you should log into the routers setup and enter the SSID
    > > and the WPA or WEP code into the right area. Then you should plug the USB
    > > into the other computers and set it up like that.
    > >
    > > Hope it helps
    > >
    > > Tom, U.K
    > >
    > > "Kati" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > > First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
    > > > well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
    > > > apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
    > > > our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
    > > > wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using the
    > > > wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
    > > > device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
    > > > information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
    > > > having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
    > > > router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
    > > > supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
    > > > plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow recognize
    > > > it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
    > > > Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
    > > > since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
    > > > wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else. But
    > > > now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up, NOT
    > > > the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks the
    > > > new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm guessing
    > > > this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no idea..)
    > > > I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get onto
    > > > it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with this
    > > > because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we instated
    > > > SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
    > > > another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or tell
    > > > me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
    > > > Sincerely,
    > > > Kati

    Hi Kati,
    Open Internet Explorer then in the address type in http://192.168.0.1
    This will open up the management tool of the Netgear router where you can
    configure the wireless settings like SSID(name of the wireless network) and
    WEP/ WPA(security settings). This is how routers are configured manually. You
    could get the SSID and WEP key from the USB Drive.

    Hope this helps you,
    Jose

    "Kati" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
    > well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
    > apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
    > our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
    > wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using the
    > wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
    > device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
    > information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
    > having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
    > router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
    > supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
    > plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow recognize
    > it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
    > Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
    > since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
    > wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else. But
    > now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up, NOT
    > the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks the
    > new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm guessing
    > this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no idea..)
    > I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get onto
    > it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with this
    > because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we instated
    > SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
    > another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or tell
    > me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
    > Sincerely,
    > Kati

    I just wanted to thank you Tom and Jose. I got it all working fine. Made my
    own network name and it is secured! I greatly appreciate your help. My next
    tast is trying to get my printer through wireless (I'm having some trouble
    with that)
    ~Kati

    Hi
    In general, it is Not a Good idea to have every thing Wireless without the
    capacity to configure the Wireless Cable/DSL Router or Access Point through
    a regular Network Wire.

    1.. Wireless connection is not stable enough in order to totally trust on
    air configuration.
    2.. If your Wireless Clients lose the capacity to connect to the Wireless
    source you would not be able to access the source for re-adjustment.
    3.. Windows can accommodate configuration of Wireless and regular Wire on
    the same computer as long as they are Not used at the same time. If one of
    the computers have regular Wired NIC buy a cable disengaged the Wireless
    plug the regular NIC to the Wireless Router log to the Router and configure
    it.
    If you do not have regular NIC you can buy a USB to Ethernet adaptor and use
    it as a spare alternative when Wireless acts out.
    Example for an adaptor:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10352459&loc=101&sp=1

    On Wireless Configuration.

    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Kati" <Kati@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
    > well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
    > apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
    > our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
    > wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using
    the
    > wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
    > device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
    > information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
    > having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
    > router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
    > supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
    > plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow
    recognize
    > it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
    > Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
    > since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
    > wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else.
    But
    > now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up,
    NOT
    > the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks
    the
    > new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm
    guessing
    > this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no
    idea..)
    > I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get
    onto
    > it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with
    this
    > because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we
    instated
    > SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
    > another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or
    tell
    > me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
    > Sincerely,
    > Kati

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking