Need Help - How Do I Make My MPEG Files Smaller?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to e-mail a 10 second video clip to some friends, and I cannot
seem to get it smaller than 10 meg. I have encoded a 40 meg .AVI file
I captured from my Sony Camcorder using Roxio (again, lowest quality),
then encoded it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc (lowest quality possible). I
don't understand how some people can send me 2 minute video files that
are less than 1 meg in size.

HELP!!! What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!
Larry

Larry,

Try to use Windows Media format instead.

Peter

"Larry" <larry_both@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I want to e-mail a 10 second video clip to some friends, and I cannot
> seem to get it smaller than 10 meg. I have encoded a 40 meg .AVI file
> I captured from my Sony Camcorder using Roxio (again, lowest quality),
> then encoded it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc (lowest quality possible). I
> don't understand how some people can send me 2 minute video files that
> are less than 1 meg in size.
>
> HELP!!! What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks!
> Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Peter - one more question:

Is there some free software I can download to convert my mpeg or avi
to Windows media format?

Larry

"Peter O Sjostrand" <po.sjostrand@telia.com> wrote in message news:<V8Lbd.6216$d5.51594@newsb.telia.net>...
> Larry,
>
> Try to use Windows Media format instead.
>
> Peter
>
> "Larry" <larry_both@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I want to e-mail a 10 second video clip to some friends, and I cannot
> > seem to get it smaller than 10 meg. I have encoded a 40 meg .AVI file
> > I captured from my Sony Camcorder using Roxio (again, lowest quality),
> > then encoded it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc (lowest quality possible). I
> > don't understand how some people can send me 2 minute video files that
> > are less than 1 meg in size.
> >
> > HELP!!! What am I doing wrong here?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Larry

martin

Or use a bitrate calculator.

Enter the duration of your clip and a desired filesize and a bitrate
calculator will give you a bitrate.
Use that bitrate as an average bitrate for a VBR encode or as the CBR's main
value.

Trial and error will tell you what minimum bitrates still give acceptable
picture quality.

But getting Windows Media Encoder and encoding to Windows Media 9 is also an
excellent idea - better compression quality/size than MPEG1 or MPEG2
compression.

If you send a video to someone with a Windows OS, then the media player
should automatically download and install any codecs that they require.

Martin.

PS Windows Media Encoder and all the codecs you need are free of course from
www.microsoft.com

"Peter O Sjostrand" <po.sjostrand@telia.com> wrote in message
> Larry,
>
> Try to use Windows Media format instead.
>
> Peter
>
> "Larry" <larry_both@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I want to e-mail a 10 second video clip to some friends, and I cannot
> > seem to get it smaller than 10 meg. I have encoded a 40 meg .AVI file
> > I captured from my Sony Camcorder using Roxio (again, lowest quality),
> > then encoded it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc (lowest quality possible). I
> > don't understand how some people can send me 2 minute video files that
> > are less than 1 meg in size.
> >
> > HELP!!! What am I doing wrong here?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks to Martin and Peter. I used Windows Media format and
downloaded the free endcoder from the microsoft web site to convert
from .avi to .wmv. Worked like a charm. Now my video clips are less
than 1meg!

Thanks again!
Larry

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message news:<2t9pg3F1t363gU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Or use a bitrate calculator.
>
> Enter the duration of your clip and a desired filesize and a bitrate
> calculator will give you a bitrate.
> Use that bitrate as an average bitrate for a VBR encode or as the CBR's main
> value.
>
> Trial and error will tell you what minimum bitrates still give acceptable
> picture quality.
>
> But getting Windows Media Encoder and encoding to Windows Media 9 is also an
> excellent idea - better compression quality/size than MPEG1 or MPEG2
> compression.
>
> If you send a video to someone with a Windows OS, then the media player
> should automatically download and install any codecs that they require.
>
> Martin.
>
> PS Windows Media Encoder and all the codecs you need are free of course from
> www.microsoft.com
>

> "Peter O Sjostrand" <po.sjostrand@telia.com> wrote in message
> > Larry,
> >
> > Try to use Windows Media format instead.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Larry" <larry_both@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > I want to e-mail a 10 second video clip to some friends, and I cannot
> > > seem to get it smaller than 10 meg. I have encoded a 40 meg .AVI file
> > > I captured from my Sony Camcorder using Roxio (again, lowest quality),
> > > then encoded it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc (lowest quality possible). I
> > > don't understand how some people can send me 2 minute video files that
> > > are less than 1 meg in size.
> > >
> > > HELP!!! What am I doing wrong here?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Larry

Windows media encoder. Free from Microsoft

--

Dave Jones
817-896-4277

"Larry" <larry_both@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Peter - one more question:
>
> Is there some free software I can download to convert my mpeg or avi
> to Windows media format?
>
> Larry
>
> "Peter O Sjostrand" <po.sjostrand@telia.com> wrote in message
> > Larry,
> >
> > Try to use Windows Media format instead.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Larry" <larry_both@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > I want to e-mail a 10 second video clip to some friends, and I cannot
> > > seem to get it smaller than 10 meg. I have encoded a 40 meg .AVI file
> > > I captured from my Sony Camcorder using Roxio (again, lowest quality),
> > > then encoded it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc (lowest quality possible). I
> > > don't understand how some people can send me 2 minute video files that
> > > are less than 1 meg in size.
> > >
> > > HELP!!! What am I doing wrong here?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Larry

The thought of The Videoguy cajoles my mind into reminiscing about the
smell of poppy seeds and the image of morning dew making rec.video.desktop
glint in the crisp autumn rays of a mature sun.

> Windows media encoder. Free from Microsoft

He may wish to consider DivX or XviD encoders players, whic can give better
results than the bog standard MPEG4 Microsoft use.

--

On 16 Oct 2004 02:22:08 GMT, "POD {Ò¿Ó}" <SMAPTRAP@DEADSPAM.COM>
wrote:

>He may wish to consider DivX or XviD encoders players, whic can give better
>results than the bog standard MPEG4 Microsoft use.

And even more important -perhaps- DivX and Xvid are for Avi, not the
hellish .wmv