Laptop Bus Speeds

It has been said that the Centrino CPU Chipset uses separate busses
for the USB and the 1394 ports and therefore can easily handle
throughput from a comcorder on the 1394 to a HDD on the USB busses.
Is there an issue with this on other laptop chipsets like the
E-Machine 6811?

I can't comment specifically, but for my old notebook, which is a 1GigHz Celeron
with older PC133 memory, I get perfect results with an IBM Firewire card. I can
transfer stuff from the camcorder to a firewire hard drive without any problems.

I think the Centrino chipset, while probably perfectly fine, is 99% hype, for
which you pay an extraordinary premium in price.

<chebba@hbci.com> wrote in message news:416ff077.13359046@cnews.newsguy.com...
> It has been said that the Centrino CPU Chipset uses separate busses
> for the USB and the 1394 ports and therefore can easily handle
> throughput from a comcorder on the 1394 to a HDD on the USB busses.
> Is there an issue with this on other laptop chipsets like the
> E-Machine 6811?

<chebba@hbci.com> wrote in message
> It has been said that the Centrino CPU Chipset uses separate busses
> for the USB and the 1394 ports and therefore can easily handle
> throughput from a comcorder on the 1394 to a HDD on the USB busses.
> Is there an issue with this on other laptop chipsets like the
> E-Machine 6811?

I don't have any specific knowledge on that, but it is an issue with many
desktop motherboards.

You need to see a block diagram of the chipset to determine this.

TRENDING THREADS