Connecting to Home Computer on Wireless Network

At home I've got several Windows XP Home PCs connected using a Linksys
802.11g wireless network. I would like to be able to access one or more of
these PCs (using Remote Desktop Connection) when I'm at work. My ISP is a
cable service (Comcast). The client PCs on my home network do not have
Static IPs. Can someone give me some guidance on how to make this work?

Bob
4 answers Last reply
More about connecting home computer wireless network

    Since the home PCs are running XP Home then Remote Desktop won't work since XP Home can not be a RD
    host. Look at using UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in. Get the server, client and encryption
    plug-in from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    To access multiple instances of VNC through a router call using the public IP of the router. You
    also need to forward one separate port for each PC as detailed in the RealVNC FAQ...

    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

    Port forward TCP 5900 to PC1, 5901 to PC2, 5903 to PC3, etc...etc...

    The calling examples are...

    PC1 12.34.56.78:0
    PC2 12.34.56.78:1
    PC3 12.34.56.78:2

    etc...etc...

    You really need to setup static IPs on your LAN for the PCs. If a PC reboots and gets a different IP
    assigned then the port forwarding scheme is negated...

    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Robert A. Boudra" <rboudra@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > At home I've got several Windows XP Home PCs connected using a Linksys
    > 802.11g wireless network. I would like to be able to access one or more of
    > these PCs (using Remote Desktop Connection) when I'm at work. My ISP is a
    > cable service (Comcast). The client PCs on my home network do not have
    > Static IPs. Can someone give me some guidance on how to make this work?
    >
    > Bob

    ---

    Actually, I do have XP Pro on two of my machines at home and would prefer to
    use Remote Desktop for this purpose. Are the procedures the same for Remote
    Desktop as far as port forwarding, etc as they are for ultraVNC as described
    below?

    Bob

    > Since the home PCs are running XP Home then Remote Desktop won't work
    since XP Home can not be a RD
    > host. Look at using UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in. Get the server,
    client and encryption
    > plug-in from...
    >
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    >
    > To access multiple instances of VNC through a router call using the public
    IP of the router. You
    > also need to forward one separate port for each PC as detailed in the
    RealVNC FAQ...

    > http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall
    >
    > Port forward TCP 5900 to PC1, 5901 to PC2, 5903 to PC3, etc...etc...
    >
    > The calling examples are...
    >
    > PC1 12.34.56.78:0
    > PC2 12.34.56.78:1
    > PC3 12.34.56.78:2
    >
    > etc...etc...
    >
    > You really need to setup static IPs on your LAN for the PCs. If a PC
    reboots and gets a different IP
    > assigned then the port forwarding scheme is negated...
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Robert A. Boudra" <rboudra@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > At home I've got several Windows XP Home PCs connected using a Linksys
    > > 802.11g wireless network. I would like to be able to access one or more
    of
    > > these PCs (using Remote Desktop Connection) when I'm at work. My ISP is
    > > cable service (Comcast). The client PCs on my home network do not have
    > > Static IPs. Can someone give me some guidance on how to make this work?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > ---

    Ok...although that is not what the original post sez...:-)

    Look at this page for help with accessing multiple Remote Desktop sessions behind a
    firewall/NAT/router...

    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    Again, the use of static IPs on the home LAN is highly recommended...

    --

    "Robert A. Boudra" <Robert_Boudra@urscorp.com> wrote in message
    > Actually, I do have XP Pro on two of my machines at home and would prefer to
    > use Remote Desktop for this purpose. Are the procedures the same for Remote
    > Desktop as far as port forwarding, etc as they are for ultraVNC as described
    > below?
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Since the home PCs are running XP Home then Remote Desktop won't work
    > since XP Home can not be a RD
    >> host. Look at using UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in. Get the server,
    > client and encryption
    >> plug-in from...
    >>
    >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    >>
    >> To access multiple instances of VNC through a router call using the public
    > IP of the router. You
    >> also need to forward one separate port for each PC as detailed in the
    > RealVNC FAQ...
    >>
    >> http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall
    >>
    >> Port forward TCP 5900 to PC1, 5901 to PC2, 5903 to PC3, etc...etc...
    >>
    >> The calling examples are...
    >>
    >> PC1 12.34.56.78:0
    >> PC2 12.34.56.78:1
    >> PC3 12.34.56.78:2
    >>
    >> etc...etc...
    >>
    >> You really need to setup static IPs on your LAN for the PCs. If a PC
    > reboots and gets a different IP
    >> assigned then the port forwarding scheme is negated...
    >>
    >> http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "Robert A. Boudra" <rboudra@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > At home I've got several Windows XP Home PCs connected using a Linksys
    >> > 802.11g wireless network. I would like to be able to access one or more
    > of
    >> > these PCs (using Remote Desktop Connection) when I'm at work. My ISP is
    >> > cable service (Comcast). The client PCs on my home network do not have
    >> > Static IPs. Can someone give me some guidance on how to make this work?
    >> >
    >> > Bob

    ---

    OK. I got it working through the RDC and set up static IPs for each of my
    networked PCs. One final question. My ISP (Comcast) tells me that they can
    not give me a static IP address for my connection. They say that the IPs on
    their system "refresh" every 4 to 7 days, and that my IP address may or may
    not change at that time. Does this mean that have to keep checking every
    few days to see what my current IP address is so that I will be able to
    connect to it remotely? If so, is there any workaround for this?

    Bob

    > Ok...although that is not what the original post sez...:-)
    >
    > Look at this page for help with accessing multiple Remote Desktop sessions
    behind a
    > firewall/NAT/router...
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
    >
    > Again, the use of static IPs on the home LAN is highly recommended...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Robert A. Boudra" <Robert_Boudra@urscorp.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually, I do have XP Pro on two of my machines at home and would
    prefer to
    > > use Remote Desktop for this purpose. Are the procedures the same for
    Remote
    > > Desktop as far as port forwarding, etc as they are for ultraVNC as
    described
    > > below?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Since the home PCs are running XP Home then Remote Desktop won't work
    > > since XP Home can not be a RD
    > >> host. Look at using UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in. Get the
    server,
    > > client and encryption
    > >> plug-in from...
    > >>
    > >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > >> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    > >>
    > >> To access multiple instances of VNC through a router call using the
    public
    > > IP of the router. You
    > >> also need to forward one separate port for each PC as detailed in the
    > > RealVNC FAQ...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall
    > >>
    > >> Port forward TCP 5900 to PC1, 5901 to PC2, 5903 to PC3, etc...etc...
    > >>
    > >> The calling examples are...
    > >>
    > >> PC1 12.34.56.78:0
    > >> PC2 12.34.56.78:1
    > >> PC3 12.34.56.78:2
    > >>
    > >> etc...etc...
    > >>
    > >> You really need to setup static IPs on your LAN for the PCs. If a PC
    > > reboots and gets a different IP
    > >> assigned then the port forwarding scheme is negated...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >>
    > >> "Robert A. Boudra" <rboudra@comcast.net> wrote in message
    Linksys
    > > of

    > ---

PCS Wireless Network Internet Service Providers Windows XP