Wireless connectivity lost after SP2 installation

After installing SP2 on my XP Professional my wireless LAN has stopped
working. I use Cisco Airont 350 with the Cisco drivers.
I get a connection to the wireless router. I went to my network
administrator and he can see that my computer is sending DHCP-requests to the
DHCP-server. The server offers an address but my computer doesn't pick it up.
The message that pops up tells me that I was not assigned an IP-address and
that I should contact my network admin.
For everyone that still hasn't upgraded there are no problem getting
connected and if I connect the the same LAN via cable there are no problem
what so ever.

Can anyone help me or do I need to uninstall SP2 ?
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless connectivity lost installation

    I have had the same problem with a Netgear WG602 Access
    Point and Toshiba SP6100 built-in wireless network card.
    Microsoft support say they are aware of issues with
    wireless connectivity including with Netgear products and
    suggested updating the AP firmware. I've done this and it
    still doesn't work :-(
    Will keep this thread posted with any update.
    Hasky

    I have just fixed this by going back into the WG602 admin
    page and reapplying the WEP keys (for the 3rd time!). I
    had already set these on the SP6100 in the Wireless
    Networks/Properties/Association box.
    Third time lucky I guess.
    Hope this helps

    Henrik,

    You should examine your firewall configuration for XP SP2. It is possible
    to block DHCP traffic. Please configure it to "On", but with extensions.
    The default may not allow you to get a DHCP address. Though I believe it
    should work even at the highest security setting, check this to see if there
    is a problem.

    If you are using WEP-based security ("Open network, WEP encryption"), an
    incorrect key would cause this problem. Since the key is not part of
    authentication (hence "open") a mismatched key causes you to appear
    connected, while you actually cannot receive data. If this is OK, then the
    third thing is that you may need to update your drivers for the wireless
    networking card. Please see the manufacturers web page to download and
    install these.

    The last thing to check is the firewall on the wireless router. Because you
    can Associate, you should be fine, but double check these settings anyways
    I am sure we can resolve this problem.

    Brian Wehrle
    bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    "Henrik" <Henrik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installing SP2 on my XP Professional my wireless LAN has stopped
    > working. I use Cisco Airont 350 with the Cisco drivers.
    > I get a connection to the wireless router. I went to my network
    > administrator and he can see that my computer is sending DHCP-requests to
    > the
    > DHCP-server. The server offers an address but my computer doesn't pick it
    > up.
    > The message that pops up tells me that I was not assigned an IP-address
    > and
    > that I should contact my network admin.
    > For everyone that still hasn't upgraded there are no problem getting
    > connected and if I connect the the same LAN via cable there are no problem
    > what so ever.
    >
    > Can anyone help me or do I need to uninstall SP2 ?

Wireless Wireless Networking