TS and TSAC Assistance required PLEASE!

June 17, 2004 12:17:02 PM

Hi,
I have team of 5 people who travel world wide that need access to our system, these all have laptops with various dialups AOL AT&T for access. At present they view their email and that of our public folder emails via OWA or Remote Mail. We have just depolyed a new application that these people need to gain access to, so I thought of using TS. I have just found that using TSAC may be more beneficial.

Thats the background info.

What I want to know is is it better to use the TSweb ActiveX or just TSClient? We use win2k servers and win2k pro clients.

Can any one assist?

Thanks in advance Karl
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:40:39 AM

There isn't much difference in using the various clients... You must
have administrative rights to install both the real client and the web
client.

Are you VPN'ing into the system?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:17:02 -0700, Karl T <Karl
T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have team of 5 people who travel world wide that need access to our system, these all have laptops with various dialups AOL AT&T for access. At present they view their email and that of our public folder emails via OWA or Remote Mail. We have just depolyed a new application that these people need to gain access to, so I thought of using TS. I have just found that using TSAC may be more beneficial.
>
>Thats the background info.
>
>What I want to know is is it better to use the TSweb ActiveX or just TSClient? We use win2k servers and win2k pro clients.
>
>Can any one assist?
>
>Thanks in advance Karl
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:31:01 AM

Good Day Jeffrey

Yes we would like to vpn in

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> There isn't much difference in using the various clients... You must
> have administrative rights to install both the real client and the web
> client.
>
> Are you VPN'ing into the system?
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:17:02 -0700, Karl T <Karl
> T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I have team of 5 people who travel world wide that need access to our system, these all have laptops with various dialups AOL AT&T for access. At present they view their email and that of our public folder emails via OWA or Remote Mail. We have just depolyed a new application that these people need to gain access to, so I thought of using TS. I have just found that using TSAC may be more beneficial.
> >
> >Thats the background info.
> >
> >What I want to know is is it better to use the TSweb ActiveX or just TSClient? We use win2k servers and win2k pro clients.
> >
> >Can any one assist?
> >
> >Thanks in advance Karl

June 18, 2004 8:32:01 AM

Good Day Jeffery

Yes we would use vpn, can you advise which is best suited please.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> There isn't much difference in using the various clients... You must
> have administrative rights to install both the real client and the web
> client.
>
> Are you VPN'ing into the system?
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:17:02 -0700, Karl T <Karl
> T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I have team of 5 people who travel world wide that need access to our system, these all have laptops with various dialups AOL AT&T for access. At present they view their email and that of our public folder emails via OWA or Remote Mail. We have just depolyed a new application that these people need to gain access to, so I thought of using TS. I have just found that using TSAC may be more beneficial.
> >
> >Thats the background info.
> >
> >What I want to know is is it better to use the TSweb ActiveX or just TSClient? We use win2k servers and win2k pro clients.
> >
> >Can any one assist?
> >
> >Thanks in advance Karl

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 1:14:05 AM

Either... The web client seems to be overkill in a VPN environment...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:31:01 -0700, Karl T <Karl
T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Good Day Jeffrey
>
>Yes we would like to vpn in
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> There isn't much difference in using the various clients... You must
>> have administrative rights to install both the real client and the web
>> client.
>>
>> Are you VPN'ing into the system?
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:17:02 -0700, Karl T <Karl
>> T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >I have team of 5 people who travel world wide that need access to our system, these all have laptops with various dialups AOL AT&T for access. At present they view their email and that of our public folder emails via OWA or Remote Mail. We have just depolyed a new application that these people need to gain access to, so I thought of using TS. I have just found that using TSAC may be more beneficial.
>> >
>> >Thats the background info.
>> >
>> >What I want to know is is it better to use the TSweb ActiveX or just TSClient? We use win2k servers and win2k pro clients.
>> >
>> >Can any one assist?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance Karl

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 2:58:02 AM

I'd recommend using the latest client executable.

I'd recommend against using the web method--it adds needless complication
and perhaps some security risk.

Here's a download URL:

You may have two difficulties: 1) unless you install Terminal Services in
Terminal Server mode, with attendant licensing, you will have a limit of two
concurrent sessions, and the users must be administrators on your server.
You may or may not be able to live with this depending on the nature of the
organization and the users.

2) With Windows 2000 Server, there's no file transfer mechanism available
within Terminal Services--ignore any signs to the contrary from the UI--they
either require Citrix, or work only with newer host OS's--XP or Windows
Server 2003. You can move files via standard networking over the VPN
connection, however.

Additionally, if you need these clients to be able to print locally, take
some care in selecting printers--you need to have rock-solid certified
drivers for those printers available at the server, and the printers must
connect to the client machines via ports which are redirected.

!