There has got to be a way

I work from home but still use a baby sitter. I have 3
computers in a small LAN and all connect through a
Linksys 4 port router/switch. The router WAN is connected
to the WWW through a cable modem. All function great.

What i need to do is view a web cam from computer #2
(baby's room) on computer #1. How can I do this? I only
want to view the cam from within the LAN.

computer #1 XP Pro
computer #2 XP Home
computer #3 98 SE

The cam is connected to a USB port on computer #2.
I want to do this without haveing to buy a IP cam.

Thank you
Tinker
2 answers Last reply
More about there

    Microsoft Portrait would work for you in this case or NetMeeting. Both allow direct IP to IP calling
    over a local LAN or the public internet.

    http://www.research.microsoft.com/%7Ejiangli/portrait/

    To start the NetMeeting wizard on the XP box go to "Start ->Run" and type conf at the command line.

    Both are FREE by the way...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Tinker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I work from home but still use a baby sitter. I have 3
    > computers in a small LAN and all connect through a
    > Linksys 4 port router/switch. The router WAN is connected
    > to the WWW through a cable modem. All function great.
    >
    > What i need to do is view a web cam from computer #2
    > (baby's room) on computer #1. How can I do this? I only
    > want to view the cam from within the LAN.
    >
    > computer #1 XP Pro
    > computer #2 XP Home
    > computer #3 98 SE
    >
    > The cam is connected to a USB port on computer #2.
    > I want to do this without haveing to buy a IP cam.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Tinker

    ---

    I forgot to add you can get the latest version of NetMeeting for Windows Me/9x/NT from...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/

    NetMeeting is built-in to XP and W2K and can *NOT* be upgraded...

    --

    > Microsoft Portrait would work for you in this case or NetMeeting. Both allow direct IP to IP
    > calling over a local LAN or the public internet.
    >
    > http://www.research.microsoft.com/%7Ejiangli/portrait/
    >
    > To start the NetMeeting wizard on the XP box go to "Start ->Run" and type conf at the command
    > line.
    >
    > Both are FREE by the way...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Tinker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I work from home but still use a baby sitter. I have 3
    >> computers in a small LAN and all connect through a
    >> Linksys 4 port router/switch. The router WAN is connected
    >> to the WWW through a cable modem. All function great.
    >>
    >> What i need to do is view a web cam from computer #2
    >> (baby's room) on computer #1. How can I do this? I only
    >> want to view the cam from within the LAN.
    >>
    >> computer #1 XP Pro
    >> computer #2 XP Home
    >> computer #3 98 SE
    >>
    >> The cam is connected to a USB port on computer #2.
    >> I want to do this without haveing to buy a IP cam.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Tinker

    ---

Computers Windows XP