There has got to be a way

June 17, 2004 1:57:07 PM

I work from home but still use a baby sitter. I have 3
computers in a small LAN and all connect through a
Linksys 4 port router/switch. The router WAN is connected
to the WWW through a cable modem. All function great.

What i need to do is view a web cam from computer #2
(baby's room) on computer #1. How can I do this? I only
want to view the cam from within the LAN.

computer #1 XP Pro
computer #2 XP Home
computer #3 98 SE

The cam is connected to a USB port on computer #2.
I want to do this without haveing to buy a IP cam.

Thank you
Tinker

More about : question

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 6:59:21 PM

Microsoft Portrait would work for you in this case or NetMeeting. Both allow direct IP to IP calling
over a local LAN or the public internet.

http://www.research.microsoft.com/%7Ejiangli/portrait/

To start the NetMeeting wizard on the XP box go to "Start ->Run" and type conf at the command line.

Both are FREE by the way...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Tinker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I work from home but still use a baby sitter. I have 3
> computers in a small LAN and all connect through a
> Linksys 4 port router/switch. The router WAN is connected
> to the WWW through a cable modem. All function great.
>
> What i need to do is view a web cam from computer #2
> (baby's room) on computer #1. How can I do this? I only
> want to view the cam from within the LAN.
>
> computer #1 XP Pro
> computer #2 XP Home
> computer #3 98 SE
>
> The cam is connected to a USB port on computer #2.
> I want to do this without haveing to buy a IP cam.
>
> Thank you
> Tinker

---
June 17, 2004 10:06:37 PM

I forgot to add you can get the latest version of NetMeeting for Windows Me/9x/NT from...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/

NetMeeting is built-in to XP and W2K and can *NOT* be upgraded...

--

> Microsoft Portrait would work for you in this case or NetMeeting. Both allow direct IP to IP
> calling over a local LAN or the public internet.
>
> http://www.research.microsoft.com/%7Ejiangli/portrait/
>
> To start the NetMeeting wizard on the XP box go to "Start ->Run" and type conf at the command
> line.
>
> Both are FREE by the way...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Tinker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I work from home but still use a baby sitter. I have 3
>> computers in a small LAN and all connect through a
>> Linksys 4 port router/switch. The router WAN is connected
>> to the WWW through a cable modem. All function great.
>>
>> What i need to do is view a web cam from computer #2
>> (baby's room) on computer #1. How can I do this? I only
>> want to view the cam from within the LAN.
>>
>> computer #1 XP Pro
>> computer #2 XP Home
>> computer #3 98 SE
>>
>> The cam is connected to a USB port on computer #2.
>> I want to do this without haveing to buy a IP cam.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Tinker

---