dial-up connection to remote PC

i have a small office network sharing a dsl internet
connection. how can i access my pc (files, printer &
internet access) using a dial-up connection when i'm out
of the office?

thanks,
jay
4 answers Last reply
More about dial connection remote

    Are you talking about calling the office PC (which has a modem attached) so you can access files,
    etc from your PC? Or are you talking about accessing the office PC via the DSL connection from your
    PC? Both are doable...

    *************************

    Configure RAS on Windows XP

    Configure the desktop computer for incoming connections

    1. Click Start, and then Control Panel.

    2. Click the Network and Internet Connections icon and pick the Network Connections icon.

    3. Double-click Make New Connection for the New Connection Wizard.

    4. Select Advanced Connection under Network Connection Type and click Next.

    4. Select Accept incoming connections and click Next.

    5. Select the modem from the list of devices, and click Next.

    6. Select either of the options for allowing Virtual Private Connections, and click Next.

    7. Check the users you want to be able to authenticate when connecting to the desktop from the
    device, and click Next.

    8. Ensure the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box is selected, click Next, and then Finish.

    Call the phone number of the modem the PC is connected to from the remote PC...

    Make sure your modem is setup for Auto Answer...

    *************************

    Otherwise use Remote Desktop to call the office PC (using its DSL connection) over the public
    internet using the public IP assigned to the router (ie. the ISP assigned IP). Make sure TCP Port
    3389 is forwarded to the private LAN IP of your office PC.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

    *************************

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have a small office network sharing a dsl internet
    > connection. how can i access my pc (files, printer &
    > internet access) using a dial-up connection when i'm out
    > of the office?
    >
    > thanks,
    > jay

    ---

    Al, thanks for your reply.

    I intend to call the office PC (with modem) to access
    files & resources. Can I also have access to the internet
    connection of the office PC? The office PC is connected
    to a LAN sharing a DSL internet connection.

    Jay

    for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"jay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>i have a small office network sharing a dsl internet
    >> connection. how can i access my pc (files, printer &
    >> internet access) using a dial-up connection when i'm out
    >> of the office?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> jay

    You could enable ICS on the PC to do that. Note you really need to contact your local network
    administrators about this. It may be against company policy to both connect to the PC with a RAS
    connection and enable ICS.

    --

    > Al, thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I intend to call the office PC (with modem) to access
    > files & resources. Can I also have access to the internet
    > connection of the office PC? The office PC is connected
    > to a LAN sharing a DSL internet connection.
    >
    > Jay

    ---

    Thanks, Al!

Dial Up Connection Office Windows XP