VegasVideo4- 2-in-1 screen, i.e., "insetting" one video in..

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

How can this be done in Vegas Video 4? It's like when one is watching
sports. I think I've seen where they'll put video in a corner of the
main screen. I need to do that in a vid I'm currently working on.
I've searched and searched but it's obvisouly a terminology problem
for this newbie. I believe I don't need step-by-step instructions at
all, fortunately, just a starting place. I've been managing to figure
out things in VV4 as I go along but this one is stumping me. I have
the pdf manual, too, so once I know what it's called, I can look up
the procedure.

Thanks!

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Put the Picture-in-Picture track above the main video timeline. Use the
Track Motion on you PIP track to resize it and set the placement. That's
it.

rqo

"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> How can this be done in Vegas Video 4? It's like when one is watching
> sports. I think I've seen where they'll put video in a corner of the
> main screen. I need to do that in a vid I'm currently working on.
> I've searched and searched but it's obvisouly a terminology problem
> for this newbie. I believe I don't need step-by-step instructions at
> all, fortunately, just a starting place. I've been managing to figure
> out things in VV4 as I go along but this one is stumping me. I have
> the pdf manual, too, so once I know what it's called, I can look up
> the procedure.
>
> Thanks!

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

It is called picture in picture.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
Graham Mayor

RSWilson wrote:
> How can this be done in Vegas Video 4? It's like when one is watching
> sports. I think I've seen where they'll put video in a corner of the
> main screen. I need to do that in a vid I'm currently working on.
> I've searched and searched but it's obvisouly a terminology problem
> for this newbie. I believe I don't need step-by-step instructions at
> all, fortunately, just a starting place. I've been managing to figure
> out things in VV4 as I go along but this one is stumping me. I have
> the pdf manual, too, so once I know what it's called, I can look up
> the procedure.
>
> Thanks!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Drag the video clips you want into different tracks. Select "Event Pan/Crop"
for the top clip. Grab the corner of the rectangle and drag it larger. Now
grab the whole rectangle to position it right where you want it.

(watch the preview window as you do each step to see what's happening)

John wrote:
> Drag the video clips you want into different tracks. Select "Event
> Pan/Crop" for the top clip. Grab the corner of the rectangle and drag
> it larger. Now grab the whole rectangle to position it right where
> you want it.
>
> (watch the preview window as you do each step to see what's happening)

"Event Pan/Crop" is the wrong tool for the job. "Pan/Crop" does exactly
what it says. "Panning" the image, if it's oversized, to add motion to a
still image and "Cropping" it to get rid of a portion of it that you don't
want/need.
As others have said, "Track Motion" is the correct tool for what the OP
wants to do.
Instructions are found on p. 218 in the Vegas 4 manual (and p. 250 in the
Vegas 5 manual).

Mike

> "RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> How can this be done in Vegas Video 4? It's like when one is
>> watching sports. I think I've seen where they'll put video in a
>> corner of the main screen. I need to do that in a vid I'm currently
>> working on. I've searched and searched but it's obvisouly a
>> terminology problem for this newbie. I believe I don't need
>> step-by-step instructions at all, fortunately, just a starting
>> place. I've been managing to figure out things in VV4 as I go along
>> but this one is stumping me. I have the pdf manual, too, so once I
>> know what it's called, I can look up the procedure.
>>
>> Thanks!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> John wrote:
> > Drag the video clips you want into different tracks. Select "Event
> > Pan/Crop" for the top clip. Grab the corner of the rectangle and drag
> > it larger. Now grab the whole rectangle to position it right where
> > you want it.
> >
> > (watch the preview window as you do each step to see what's happening)
>

> "Event Pan/Crop" is the wrong tool for the job. "Pan/Crop" does exactly
> what it says. "Panning" the image, if it's oversized, to add motion to a
> still image and "Cropping" it to get rid of a portion of it that you don't
> want/need.
> As others have said, "Track Motion" is the correct tool for what the OP
> wants to do.
> Instructions are found on p. 218 in the Vegas 4 manual (and p. 250 in the
> Vegas 5 manual).
>
> Mike
>

> > "RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> >> How can this be done in Vegas Video 4? It's like when one is
> >> watching sports. I think I've seen where they'll put video in a
> >> corner of the main screen. I need to do that in a vid I'm currently
> >> working on. I've searched and searched but it's obvisouly a
> >> terminology problem for this newbie. I believe I don't need
> >> step-by-step instructions at all, fortunately, just a starting
> >> place. I've been managing to figure out things in VV4 as I go along
> >> but this one is stumping me. I have the pdf manual, too, so once I
> >> know what it's called, I can look up the procedure.
> >>
> >> Thanks!

Ok. Thanks.

What would be the down side of using Event Pan/Crop to do this
instead of using Track Motion?

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

It's harder to resize the video using the event "Pan/Crop" tool, if all you
wanted to do was place a smaller version of the entire video clip in one of
the corners. Then inside the PIP, if you want to crop or pan, then use the
"Pan/Crop" tool at the event level.

Personally, once you get used to using the key frames for the Track Motion,
it's all up to your own imagination as to using PIP's. It's amazing how
difficult that used to be to duplicate in film. Sort of like using a type
writer versus a computer with MS Word.

rqo

John wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> John wrote:
>>> Drag the video clips you want into different tracks. Select "Event
>>> Pan/Crop" for the top clip. Grab the corner of the rectangle and
>>> drag it larger. Now grab the whole rectangle to position it right
>>> where you want it.
>>>
>>> (watch the preview window as you do each step to see what's
>>> happening)
>>

>> "Event Pan/Crop" is the wrong tool for the job. "Pan/Crop" does
>> exactly what it says. "Panning" the image, if it's oversized, to add
>> motion to a still image and "Cropping" it to get rid of a portion of
>> it that you don't want/need.
>> As others have said, "Track Motion" is the correct tool for what the
>> OP wants to do.
>> Instructions are found on p. 218 in the Vegas 4 manual (and p. 250
>> in the Vegas 5 manual).
>>
>> Mike
>>

>>> "RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message

> Ok. Thanks.
>
> What would be the down side of using Event Pan/Crop to do this
> instead of using Track Motion?

I personally find Track Motion much easier to position images with. In
addition, you get X & Y rotation plus shadow & glow options, none of which
are in Pan/Crop.
Having said that, the main thing to be aware of about Track Motion is that
it affects the entire track. This means that whatever you do to the first
image/video clip is applied to all images/video clips on that track. You
can, of course, keyframe around it if desired - or simply create a new
track.

Mike

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks rqo

> John wrote:
> > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> >> "Event Pan/Crop" is the wrong tool for the job. "Pan/Crop" does
> >> exactly what it says. "Panning" the image, if it's oversized, to add
> >> motion to a still image and "Cropping" it to get rid of a portion of
> >> it that you don't want/need.
> >> As others have said, "Track Motion" is the correct tool for what the
> >> OP wants to do.
> >> Instructions are found on p. 218 in the Vegas 4 manual (and p. 250
> >> in the Vegas 5 manual).
> >>
> >> Mike

> > Ok. Thanks.
> >
> > What would be the down side of using Event Pan/Crop to do this
> > instead of using Track Motion?
>

> I personally find Track Motion much easier to position images with. In
> addition, you get X & Y rotation plus shadow & glow options, none of which
> are in Pan/Crop.
> Having said that, the main thing to be aware of about Track Motion is that
> it affects the entire track. This means that whatever you do to the first
> image/video clip is applied to all images/video clips on that track. You
> can, of course, keyframe around it if desired - or simply create a new
> track.
>
> Mike

Ok. Thanks Mike

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:22:12 +1000, "John"
<knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>

>> John wrote:
>> > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>> > Ok. Thanks.
>> >
>> > What would be the down side of using Event Pan/Crop to do this
>> > instead of using Track Motion?
>>

>> I personally find Track Motion much easier to position images with. In
>> addition, you get X & Y rotation plus shadow & glow options, none of which
>> are in Pan/Crop.
>> Having said that, the main thing to be aware of about Track Motion is that
>> it affects the entire track. This means that whatever you do to the first
>> image/video clip is applied to all images/video clips on that track. You
>> can, of course, keyframe around it if desired - or simply create a new
>> track.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>Ok. Thanks Mike

All excellent advice, thanks so much. I went back to use all this
info and got exactly what I needed. Cropping to make all the frames
the same without the unwanted info border on the side. Since there
were 2 borders of different sizes, I ended up splitting the video in
the spots where the border changes (because, _of_course, the border
has to slide out and can't just appear from one frame to the next
<vbg>). I found that sometimes, the quality was affected as the
resulting cut out portion is blown up because I didn't want black
borders so fixed the ratio, but other than that, this worked
perfectly!

The PIP works like a dream is I found it was so easy to do once I knew
what I was looking for. I did run into a synchronizing problem that I
wasn't aware of until I actually did this <lol>, but at least this is
very do-able.

Thanks so much, everyone!

TRENDING THREADS