Centrino wireless options

My old router had a plug stop working, so I got a DI-524 wireless modem and set
it up with CAT-5 cables to my 3 computers and my printer. Then I decided to
set up wireless so my wife could move her laptop around.
I wish WPA-PSK was the default, it is easy and very secure - except that when I
tried installing it on my wife's Centrino based laptop, XP said it wasn't
supported. I assume that's a limitation of the built-in wireless modem. Is
that true?
So I went through her Windows XP wizard.
I had no idea how to find the SSID, so I just put in my name, brazee.
XP calculated a WEP/WPA key and I printed it out.
Wireless Settings
Network Name (SSID): brazee
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): (28 digits of numbers and letters censored before
posting here)
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: open
Data Encryption type: WEP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index:
If there is a more secure way available without upgrading her wireless modem,
please recommend it.
When we look at wireless networks, we see two of them. There is a neighborhood
wireless we could have bought, but I don't know how to tell these two apart.
I went downstairs, selected WEP Shared Key, and was able to type in half of that
key above. I switched to 128 bit with no change. What should I try next?

According to the product page
(http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=316&rid=1079&sec=0),
your Dlink router does support WPA.

Have you configured your router at all? You need to access its setup
pages and configure items such as new router admin password (stops
anyone from playing with your router), a unique SSID (which identifies
your network from others), broadband connection (via a modem, etc.),
wireless security (WEP or WPA). Only then should you configure your
wireless clients with the same parameters.

You should find the instructions on how to access router to set it up in
the user manual, but if for some reasons you don't have a manual, you
can download a copy here.
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Manual/di524_manual_100.zip

Good luck, have fun and happy wireless networking.