MSRDP.OCX question.....

I'd like to be able to show the full-screen of the remote desktop in a
resizable window. The full screen should always be visible, just resized to
fit within the control as it is resized by the user.

Currently it looks like the control only allows the remote screen size to be
set before connecting, and there doesn't seem to be the ability to change
the remote screen size without reconnecting.

Am I missing something? Please tell me that I am. The speed is great, but
I really need to be able to do this resizing thing.
8 answers Last reply
More about msrdp question

    Nevermind.....I figured out a workaround.

    > Nevermind.....I figured out a workaround.

    Would you mind sharing your workaround with us? I'd be interrested to know
    how you did as i could use that in my application as well.

    Thanks

    No problem.....

    I have a form with a textbox, an msrp.ocx (MsTscAx1) control, and a connect
    button on it.

    Under the connect button, here is the main code (error handling omitted)
    that seems to allow resizing of the MSRDP.OCX while showing the full screen.

    ------------------code under connect button start
    With MsTscAx1
    'add the ip you are connecting to....
    .Server = Text1.Text

    .AdvancedSettings3.SmartSizing = True

    .width = Screen.width
    .height = Screen.height

    .Connect

    .width = Form1.width - 1000
    .height = Form1.height - 2000

    End With
    ------------------code under connect button end

    The code above starts the screen out at the maximum screen resolution of the
    client's screen, connects to the host (at which time the host screen is set
    to the max resolution of the client) then resizes it to fit in my form.

    And, of course, you need to handle the resizing of the MSRDP.OCX when the
    form is resized....

    ------------------------resize code start
    Private Sub Form_Resize()

    With MsTscAx1
    .width = Form1.width - 1000
    .Left = 500
    .height = Form1.height - 2000
    End With

    End Sub
    -----------------------resize code end

    Hope this helps.......

    Jim Hubbard
    Hubbard Software

    "Elp" <rockfamily@REMOVEME.hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com> wrote in message
    > > Nevermind.....I figured out a workaround.
    >
    > Would you mind sharing your workaround with us? I'd be interrested to know
    > how you did as i could use that in my application as well.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Jim,

    > No problem.....

    Thanks a lot. I always assumed that automatic resizing was not a feature of
    XP Remote desktop as even the Microsoft Remote Desktop application didn't do
    it. I've tried your code and it works! However, i don't know what
    programming language you are using (VB 6?) but i had to make some changes to
    make it work in C#:
    - AdvancedSettings3 didn't exist. The SmartSizing property was actually in
    AdvancedSettings2
    - The width (height) property was read-only so i had to use DesktopWidth
    (DesktopHeight) instead

    And i didn't have to handle the resizing myself. My remote desktop activex
    is placed in a panel and is set to fit the panel size so when my window is
    resized, the panel is also resized which makes the remote desktop to resize
    istself automatically. Nice... but a bit slow.

    While we are at it, have you noticed this bug in Remote desktop which seems
    to "steal" the focus? Explanation: i have on my form a group box with 2
    buttons (connect and disconnect) and a panel in which is placed the remote
    desktop Activex. When remote desktop is disconnected, everything works fine,
    i can click the 2 buttons the normal way. But when remote desktop is
    connected, i have to click twice on my buttons for the click to be
    registered: the first click seems to only give the focus to the button and
    the second click actually does the click action. I've found a workaround for
    that but it doesn't satisfy me and i'd really like to find the proper way to
    solve this problem.

    > Thanks a lot. I always assumed that automatic resizing was not a feature
    of
    > XP Remote desktop as even the Microsoft Remote Desktop application didn't
    do
    > it. I've tried your code and it works! However, i don't know what
    > programming language you are using (VB 6?) but i had to make some changes
    > make it work in C#:
    > - AdvancedSettings3 didn't exist. The SmartSizing property was actually in
    > AdvancedSettings2
    > - The width (height) property was read-only so i had to use DesktopWidth
    > (DesktopHeight) instead

    I am using VB6 as a testing area for the activeX control because of its
    ability to make changes to my test app without having to stop and restart
    the app for every change. I am also creating an ActiveX control that is
    easier and a little more secure in VB6 than .net.

    I have VS.Net 2003 loaded which may have given me a newer version of the
    MSRDP.OCX. You can try
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx of I can
    send you version 5.1.2600.1095 of the control if you need it to get the
    AdvancedSettings3 stuff.

    > And i didn't have to handle the resizing myself. My remote desktop activex
    > is placed in a panel and is set to fit the panel size so when my window is
    > resized, the panel is also resized which makes the remote desktop to
    resize
    > istself automatically. Nice... but a bit slow.

    Cool...

    > While we are at it, have you noticed this bug in Remote desktop which
    seems
    > to "steal" the focus? Explanation: i have on my form a group box with 2
    > buttons (connect and disconnect) and a panel in which is placed the remote
    > desktop Activex. When remote desktop is disconnected, everything works
    fine,
    > i can click the 2 buttons the normal way. But when remote desktop is
    > connected, i have to click twice on my buttons for the click to be
    > registered: the first click seems to only give the focus to the button and
    > the second click actually does the click action. I've found a workaround
    for
    > that but it doesn't satisfy me and i'd really like to find the proper way
    > solve this problem.

    Yes I have, but this really isn't a bug. The first click gets you back to
    your desktop (think of it like using a software KVM switch), then your
    desktop can accept the next click anywhere. This must happen as RDP must
    change the output from the mouse/keyboard to go to the PC you have chosen.

    Some mice have an X-Windows type function that automatically changes the
    focus to the window that the mouse is over as it enters the window. You
    could try changing your mouse settings to emulate this X-Windows
    functionality and see if that gives you the desired results.

    I'll post a link to my client as soon as it is ready. It will be freeware.

    > I have VS.Net 2003 loaded which may have given me a newer version of the
    > MSRDP.OCX. You can try
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx of I
    can
    > send you version 5.1.2600.1095 of the control if you need it to get the
    > AdvancedSettings3 stuff.

    I don't really know if i need that actually. Do you know what features does
    this interface add?

    > which makes the remote desktop to
    > resize
    > > istself automatically. Nice... but a bit slow.
    >
    > Cool...

    Cool but I forgot to add that the SmartSizing property is not supported
    under Windows 95, 98 and ME :-( So this works only under 2000 and up. I
    don't think that any workaround exists for this problem.

    > Yes I have, but this really isn't a bug. The first click gets you back to
    > your desktop (think of it like using a software KVM switch), then your
    > desktop can accept the next click anywhere.

    Well, even if it is not a bug, it is very disturbing for my users as the
    remote desktop is just a small part of my app and i don't see myself trying
    to explain that they have to click twice for each button only in this
    particular window of my app because of some IO problems between their
    desktop and the remote desktop. It makes sense but it is not the behaviour
    that a "normal" user would expect.

    > I'll post a link to my client as soon as it is ready. It will be
    freeware.

    Thanks. Will you post the link here? I'd be interrested to see what you've
    done. By the way, i always wondered if the ClearTextPassword property was
    secure or not. Nothing in the doc about that. Are you using it in your
    client?

    > > I have VS.Net 2003 loaded which may have given me a newer version of the
    > > MSRDP.OCX. You can try
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx of I
    > can
    > > send you version 5.1.2600.1095 of the control if you need it to get the
    > > AdvancedSettings3 stuff.
    >
    > I don't really know if i need that actually. Do you know what features
    does
    > this interface add?

    Not really that different. Only adds a couple of interfaces....see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/imsrdpclientadvancedsettings3.asp .

    > Cool but I forgot to add that the SmartSizing property is not supported
    > under Windows 95, 98 and ME :-( So this works only under 2000 and up. I
    > don't think that any workaround exists for this problem.

    You tested the code on these legacy systems?

    > > Yes I have, but this really isn't a bug. The first click gets you back
    > > your desktop (think of it like using a software KVM switch), then your
    > > desktop can accept the next click anywhere.
    >
    > Well, even if it is not a bug, it is very disturbing for my users as the
    > remote desktop is just a small part of my app and i don't see myself
    trying
    > to explain that they have to click twice for each button only in this
    > particular window of my app because of some IO problems between their
    > desktop and the remote desktop. It makes sense but it is not the behaviour
    > that a "normal" user would expect.

    Problem is.....this control is behaving like a window, but it doesn't look
    like a window.

    Do this little experiment for me. Open Word up, then open Notepad. Make
    sure Notepad is on top of Word, but not obstructing the toolbar in Word.
    Now click on the New Blank Document icon (or any icon) on the Word toolbar.
    It must be clicked twice to work because the first click is giving focus to
    the new window.

    Perhaps placing a window-like frame around your msrdp control (that changes
    color when it has the focus - like other windows do) would help your users
    understand that this control is actually a window just like any other
    program. I know it can be confusing because it runs inside your
    application - but the only other option I see right now would be to disable
    (gray out) your buttons and menus while the ocx has the focus.

    > > I'll post a link to my client as soon as it is ready. It will be
    > freeware.
    >
    > Thanks. Will you post the link here? I'd be interrested to see what you've
    > done. By the way, i always wondered if the ClearTextPassword property was
    > secure or not. Nothing in the doc about that. Are you using it in your
    > client?

    Yes, I'll post it here. I am going to try and move my client to it instead
    of GoToMyPC.

    Sorry, I haven't used the ClearTextPassword property yet.

    > > Cool but I forgot to add that the SmartSizing property is not supported
    > > under Windows 95, 98 and ME :-( So this works only under 2000 and up. I
    > > don't think that any workaround exists for this problem.
    >
    > You tested the code on these legacy systems?

    :-) legacy or not, my application has to run on these systems (well not
    Windows 95 as .NET is not supported on this one anyway). So yes, i've tested
    under Windows 98 and it throws a "not implemented" exception.

Remote Desktop Screen Size Microsoft Windows XP