Yet ANOTHER Remote Desktop Question.

Hi - first post, so be gentle !!

I have fixed an old guy at works PC. He has no idea about PC's and only
uses it for email and web browsing. I left an Admin account on his PC in my
name (with his permission!!) and said I would "drop by" every now and then
and check that it was running ok via Remote Desktop. He leaves his box
switched on 24/7, so the IP address should stay the same.

Alternativly, if he has problems, he sends me a remote assistance rquest and
I respond to that.

The strange thing is that immediatly after sorting out any problems via
Remote Assistance, I am able to connect directly to his PC via Remote
Desktop, but the next day, or a few days later, when I try I get the "Remote
Desktop Disconnected" - "The client could not connect to the remote
computer......" message.

I have two PC's on a small network at home, and can ALWAYS connect to the
other machine on my LAN.

What do you guys think is wrong with my set up.

I'm running XP Pro, as is the other PC that I'm having problems with. We
are both on cable broadband with the same ISP.

Cheers

Geoff
5 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop question

    Please don't think I'm being condescending, but is the old guy turning off
    the PC?

    I've had this very thing happen to me.

    "Geoff" <geoff.bell.1@SPAMMERS_GET_STUFFED_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:u1mBc.1204$yO6.10551503@news-text.cableinet.net...
    > Hi - first post, so be gentle !!
    >
    > I have fixed an old guy at works PC. He has no idea about PC's and only
    > uses it for email and web browsing. I left an Admin account on his PC in
    my
    > name (with his permission!!) and said I would "drop by" every now and then
    > and check that it was running ok via Remote Desktop. He leaves his box
    > switched on 24/7, so the IP address should stay the same.
    >
    > Alternativly, if he has problems, he sends me a remote assistance rquest
    and
    > I respond to that.
    >
    > The strange thing is that immediatly after sorting out any problems via
    > Remote Assistance, I am able to connect directly to his PC via Remote
    > Desktop, but the next day, or a few days later, when I try I get the
    "Remote
    > Desktop Disconnected" - "The client could not connect to the remote
    > computer......" message.
    >
    > I have two PC's on a small network at home, and can ALWAYS connect to the
    > other machine on my LAN.
    >
    > What do you guys think is wrong with my set up.
    >
    > I'm running XP Pro, as is the other PC that I'm having problems with. We
    > are both on cable broadband with the same ISP.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Geoff

    It's a VERY good point, but I am assured that he is leaving it turned on.
    As he is a pensioner, he is on one of these electricity tariffs (UK) that
    allows unrestricted use for a fixed monthly fee - unmetred broadband
    electricity!!!

    Cheers

    Geoff

    "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Please don't think I'm being condescending, but is the old guy turning off
    > the PC?
    >
    > I've had this very thing happen to me.
    >

    > "Geoff" <geoff.bell.1@SPAMMERS_GET_STUFFED_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:u1mBc.1204$yO6.10551503@news-text.cableinet.net...
    > > Hi - first post, so be gentle !!
    > >
    > > I have fixed an old guy at works PC. He has no idea about PC's and only
    > > uses it for email and web browsing. I left an Admin account on his PC
    in
    > my
    > > name (with his permission!!) and said I would "drop by" every now and
    then
    > > and check that it was running ok via Remote Desktop. He leaves his box
    > > switched on 24/7, so the IP address should stay the same.
    > >
    > > Alternativly, if he has problems, he sends me a remote assistance rquest
    > and
    > > I respond to that.
    > >
    > > The strange thing is that immediatly after sorting out any problems via
    > > Remote Assistance, I am able to connect directly to his PC via Remote
    > > Desktop, but the next day, or a few days later, when I try I get the
    > "Remote
    > > Desktop Disconnected" - "The client could not connect to the remote
    > > computer......" message.
    > >
    > > I have two PC's on a small network at home, and can ALWAYS connect to
    the
    > > other machine on my LAN.
    > >
    > > What do you guys think is wrong with my set up.
    > >
    > > I'm running XP Pro, as is the other PC that I'm having problems with.
    We
    > > are both on cable broadband with the same ISP.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Geoff

    Actually, even WITH an internet account that has unlimited
    bandwidth, this guy's IP address could still be changing.
    His modem is giving his computer an IP address from the
    ISP's address pool, which usually does change every few
    days or so. Most ISP's will only give a static IP address
    if you pay for it. Have you checked to make sure that his
    IP address isn't changing?

    ~~Andy~~

    Andy,

    The old guy has the same ISP as me and my IP address hasn't changed for
    months and months. Yes, technically, I have a dynamic address, but in
    reality, unless I power everything off for a few days (when I go away on
    holiday for example), my address ALWAYS stays the same. My PC is on when
    I'm in the house, so for 8 hours a day, when I'm at work it is turned off -
    yet I still retain the same IP address. I need to check with him that his
    IP has stayed the same, but in practice if he leaving it switched on, it
    "should" stay the same. I bet this is something really dumb that I've
    overlooked, but you know how it is?? I tend to get bogged down looking for
    something complex and it could be right under my nose !!

    Cheers

    Geoff

    "Andy" <acalderone@cch.org> wrote in message
    > Actually, even WITH an internet account that has unlimited
    > bandwidth, this guy's IP address could still be changing.
    > His modem is giving his computer an IP address from the
    > ISP's address pool, which usually does change every few
    > days or so. Most ISP's will only give a static IP address
    > if you pay for it. Have you checked to make sure that his
    > IP address isn't changing?
    >
    > ~~Andy~~

    Go to www.no-ip.info and sign up for a free account. Then load the windows
    client on the gentleman's PC. This will give you his last known address in
    realtime.

    "Geoff" <geoff.bell.1@SPAMMERS_GET_STUFFED_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:Ff2Cc.201$rw6.1852465@news-text.cableinet.net...

Remote Desktop Windows XP