encoding for dolby digital 5.1? whats needed?

Hi

I'm wanting to get involved in doing encoding of dolby digital 5.1
surround and have been looking around for what I would need to get
started. I own an Avid Xpress and Sonic Scenartist authoring software.
We want to do encoding for dvd's as well as videos.

Do I need a EX-EU4 encoder hardware or can it be done by software? I
noticed programs like vegas have a 5.1 plugin to select which channel
does what and such. Does anyone know if theres a plug in for Avid xpress
to do the same?

Any suggestions on what we should go with? We primarly do television
commercials and dvd authoring but we do some movie trailers and other
items that would definatly need 5.1 encoding.
THANKS!
2 answers Last reply
More about encoding dolby digital whats needed

    anthony wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm wanting to get involved in doing encoding of dolby digital 5.1
    > surround and have been looking around for what I would need to get
    > started. I own an Avid Xpress and Sonic Scenartist authoring software.
    > We want to do encoding for dvd's as well as videos.
    >
    > Do I need a EX-EU4 encoder hardware or can it be done by software? I
    > noticed programs like vegas have a 5.1 plugin to select which channel
    > does what and such. Does anyone know if theres a plug in for Avid
    > xpress to do the same?
    >
    > Any suggestions on what we should go with? We primarly do television
    > commercials and dvd authoring but we do some movie trailers and other
    > items that would definatly need 5.1 encoding.
    > THANKS!

    I shudder to think how much an EX-EU4 encoder must cost.
    A quick look through Avid's site didn't immediately show a 5.1 plug-in for
    Xpress.
    I'm sure there's something in the DigiDesign line, if you can afford it that
    is :-)

    In the long run, it might be cheaper to invest in a copy of Vegas and DVD
    Architect (which is necessary to get the AC-3 encoding option). Sony does
    have a product called the "5.1 Surround Plug-In Pack" but it's still cheaper
    to get the Vegas+DVD Production Suite. Sony's price is $800 but you can do
    better elsewhere. For example, http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html has
    a package for only $700 that includes several bonuses. HTH.

    Mike

    You could try the Besweet program.

    http://besweet.notrace.dk/

    Export your audio from Avid, run it through Besweet and the bring it into
    your authoring program.

    "anthony" <apryan@users.easynews.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm wanting to get involved in doing encoding of dolby digital 5.1
    > surround and have been looking around for what I would need to get
    > started. I own an Avid Xpress and Sonic Scenartist authoring software.
    > We want to do encoding for dvd's as well as videos.
    >
    > Do I need a EX-EU4 encoder hardware or can it be done by software? I
    > noticed programs like vegas have a 5.1 plugin to select which channel
    > does what and such. Does anyone know if theres a plug in for Avid xpress
    > to do the same?
    >
    > Any suggestions on what we should go with? We primarly do television
    > commercials and dvd authoring but we do some movie trailers and other
    > items that would definatly need 5.1 encoding.
    > THANKS!

Tuner Cards Dolby Video Encoding Graphics