Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Start menu portrait removal?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 2, 2011 7:47:45 PM

Hello!
I was just wanting to know if it is possible to remove the user portrait on the windows start menu, and if it is how would I go about doing so.
I ask because it seems to hang up when switching between the user profile pic and the My Computer/ My Documents pic and its become a bit of a bother.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2011 8:46:55 PM

Hello DoomsWord89;

You can change the User Account picture - but I don't think you can delete it. Are you using a custom picture or one of the many default pictures?
To see the default pictures type User Accounts in the Start Menu search box. In the Control Panel category choose the User Accounts icon.
You'll see the option there to Change your picture with the default pictures shown, plus the option to search for a custom picture.

Im thinking the 'hang up' when you're changing over to the other items might be in that category you're switching over to - and not the User Account picture.
With the Start Menu open, right click in an empty spot in the right side panel and choose Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu properties box choose the Start Menu tab.
Choose the Customize button from there. Look over the options there. You can test changing the display option as Menu to Link.
I think changing over to Link might end the 'hang up' you're experiencing.
If not, you change the options back to Menu if you choose.

January 2, 2011 9:47:32 PM

WR2 said:
Hello DoomsWord89;

You can change the User Account picture - but I don't think you can delete it. Are you using a custom picture or one of the many default pictures?
To see the default pictures type User Accounts in the Start Menu search box. In the Control Panel category choose the User Accounts icon.
You'll see the option there to Change your picture with the default pictures shown, plus the option to search for a custom picture.

Im thinking the 'hang up' when you're changing over to the other items might be in that category you're switching over to - and not the User Account picture.
With the Start Menu open, right click in an empty spot in the right side panel and choose Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu properties box choose the Start Menu tab.
Choose the Customize button from there. Look over the options there. You can test changing the display option as Menu to Link.
I think changing over to Link might end the 'hang up' you're experiencing.
If not, you change the options back to Menu if you choose.

Thank you for your timely reply.
I see what you are trying to say.
However even when I change the picture and hover the curser over another item the picture seems to turn transparant and unresponsive.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2011 10:00:42 PM

DoomsWord89 said:
Thank you for your timely reply.
I see what you are trying to say.
However even when I change the picture and hover the curser over another item the picture seems to turn transparant and unresponsive.

That's because the information for that new item is probably being loaded. It's the new item update that is causing the slow down, not the tiny image of the user account picture.
January 13, 2011 12:00:04 AM

Best answer selected by DoomsWord89.
!