Audio/Video synch playback problem...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2004 4:09:36 PM

My searching through the 'net suggests that this newsgroup may be my best
chance at solving a problem I seem to have...

I have been trying to figure out how to play back my AVI files without the
video deciding to skip at every opportunity.
Let me try to describe this as best I can:
1. On one file, the audio keeps playing as normal, while the video keeps
increasingly going out of synch.
2. Another file does something similar, only it seems to resynch audio/video
for a few seconds then gives me the same problem as 1
3. Yet another file decides to play normal up to a point, then the video
stutters out of synch while audio keeps playing fine.

Strangely enough, it seems to happen to AVI files that have relatively good
picture quality, and I would rather not degrade that quality to play them
back.
All of it was working for me just fine until I had to replace my
motherboard, then it started going screwy.

I have not had the opportunity to test all my AVI's but I think the same
thing may well be happening in them, even if it isn't immediately evident.
In all cases, it started out just fine, then synch went out the window maybe
30 seconds-1 minute into the AVI.

Could it be some sort of memory problem? I don't think my video card is at
fault since that is working fine...

Any help would be appreciated in this

I have:
ATI Raedon 9200 (128 MB -- AGP)
512 MB RAM (Speed at 333, I believe)
Pentium 4 2.66 GHz CPU
The sound board is internal (meaning integrated w/ motherboard)
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 6:21:48 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:09:36 GMT, "Jesse E. Krug"
<jekrug@earthlink.net> wrote:

>All of it was working for me just fine until I had to replace my
>motherboard, then it started going screwy.

Did you replace your motherboard with exactly the same make and model?
If not, did you perform a fresh install of Windows and your programs?
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:52:21 AM

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Did you replace your motherboard with exactly the same make and model?
No, I had since found a somewhat better motherboard than what I had (more
recent one too)

> If not, did you perform a fresh install of Windows and your programs?
And yes, I did. Every last driver is in there that should be. Still confuses
me a bit to no end...
!