jeff

I want to be able to access my work computer from home and
vice versa utlizing a VPN. Both machines are XP pro. My
home machine is on a LAN using a router. My work machine
is on a intranet network. What other specs do i need to
accomplish this. I have read that you have to create new
connection in the Network properties and provide a host
name. I have done this at my work site already so do I
have to do it at home as well. Please help with any info
thanks

To use a PPTP VPN tunnel you need to do two things...

1. Forward/open TCP Port 1723 on the remote firewall/NAT/router.
2. Enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic through the remote firewall/NAT/router. Some call this "PPTP Pass
Through" or "VPN Pass Through" or automatically enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic when TCP Port 1723 is
opened. Consult your network administrators and/or firewall/NAT/router user guides for help with
this.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to be able to access my work computer from home and
> vice versa utlizing a VPN. Both machines are XP pro. My
> home machine is on a LAN using a router. My work machine
> is on a intranet network. What other specs do i need to
> accomplish this. I have read that you have to create new
> connection in the Network properties and provide a host
> name. I have done this at my work site already so do I
> have to do it at home as well. Please help with any info
> thanks

---

Yes, if you want to connect from work to home...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
has the information on how to do this...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:15:27 -0700, "Jeff"