usb 2.0 enclosure

I have a question ( like duh ). I have the PPA-USA External Aluminum
Enclosure with a maxtor 7200 rpm ata hd. I want to add another drive
to my NAS server. I want to be sure to get the best performance. So
what I want to know is, has anyone examined the various hardware
inside these external enclosures to determine which one has THE BEST
performance? Are there any true SATA to USB 2.0 chipsets that dont
first convert the SATA drive to ATA ? I wanted to go with a 10k rpm
unit but I dont want to speed $$$ on the drive and then bottleneck it
in the enclosure.

"mark v." <linuxmanvan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a question ( like duh ). I have the PPA-USA External Aluminum
> Enclosure with a maxtor 7200 rpm ata hd. I want to add another drive
> to my NAS server. I want to be sure to get the best performance. So
> what I want to know is, has anyone examined the various hardware
> inside these external enclosures to determine which one has THE BEST
> performance? Are there any true SATA to USB 2.0 chipsets that dont
> first convert the SATA drive to ATA ? I wanted to go with a 10k rpm
> unit but I dont want to speed $$$ on the drive and then bottleneck it
> in the enclosure.

The best performance with an SATA drive will be obtained if you use an
external enclosure with an SATA cable connection to the computer, which you
can equip with an SATA controller, also with an external connection.

Using SATA between the external box and the computer will approximately
double the speed as compared to USB 2.0.

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<4IKdncDvtq9M3-7cRVn-2Q@comcast.com>...
> "mark v." <linuxmanvan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have a question ( like duh ). I have the PPA-USA External Aluminum
> > Enclosure with a maxtor 7200 rpm ata hd. I want to add another drive
> > to my NAS server. I want to be sure to get the best performance. So
> > what I want to know is, has anyone examined the various hardware
> > inside these external enclosures to determine which one has THE BEST
> > performance? Are there any true SATA to USB 2.0 chipsets that dont
> > first convert the SATA drive to ATA ? I wanted to go with a 10k rpm
> > unit but I dont want to speed $$$ on the drive and then bottleneck it
> > in the enclosure.
> >
> The best performance with an SATA drive will be obtained if you use an
> external enclosure with an SATA cable connection to the computer, which you
> can equip with an SATA controller, also with an external connection.
>
> Using SATA between the external box and the computer will approximately
> double the speed as compared to USB 2.0.

I understand that is the best way but this is for a NSLU2. I just want
to know if any of the usb2 to sata bridges are better than others.
Thanks