More than one conection to a Remote Desktop host?

Is there a way to allow more than 1 person to log into an XP Pro PC using
Remote Desktop at the same time?

There must be..... Why? Because that is essentilally what you are doing
with Remote Assistance. You have the local user logged in and a remote user
logged in at the same time.

I just want to know how to initiate a session like Remote Assistance so that
the logged in user can continue to work or follow along using MSRDP.OCX.

If we know how to do this using MSRDP.OCX then could we also allow more than
1 person to log in to a Remote Desktop PC remotely and share the same
desktop?

Jim Hubbard

XP only allows one RD session at a time...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com> wrote in message news:H3QBc.2439$lf7.177@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> Is there a way to allow more than 1 person to log into an XP Pro PC using
> Remote Desktop at the same time?
>
> There must be..... Why? Because that is essentilally what you are doing
> with Remote Assistance. You have the local user logged in and a remote user
> logged in at the same time.
>
> I just want to know how to initiate a session like Remote Assistance so that
> the logged in user can continue to work or follow along using MSRDP.OCX.
>
> If we know how to do this using MSRDP.OCX then could we also allow more than
> 1 person to log in to a Remote Desktop PC remotely and share the same
> desktop?
>
> Jim Hubbard

---

Sure....only one REMOTE session at a time. But when you use RDP clients
provided by MS, the host screen gets blocked with a logon screen.

Is this because I'm logging in with the same ID?

With Remote Assistance, the user requesting remote assistance still sees
their screen while the remote helper does also. How can you do this using
MSRDP.OCX and a host?

> XP only allows one RD session at a time...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to allow more than 1 person to log into an XP Pro PC
using
> > Remote Desktop at the same time?
> >
> > There must be..... Why? Because that is essentilally what you are
doing
> > with Remote Assistance. You have the local user logged in and a remote
user
> > logged in at the same time.
> >
> > I just want to know how to initiate a session like Remote Assistance so
that
> > the logged in user can continue to work or follow along using MSRDP.OCX.
> >
> > If we know how to do this using MSRDP.OCX then could we also allow more
than
> > 1 person to log in to a Remote Desktop PC remotely and share the same
> > desktop?
> >
> > Jim Hubbard
> >

> ---

The only way you can do this is via a shadow connection
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279656&sd=tech).
Windows XP does not support doing this any other way than via Remote
Assistance (or the shadow).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:46:41 -0400, "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com>
wrote:

>Sure....only one REMOTE session at a time. But when you use RDP clients
>provided by MS, the host screen gets blocked with a logon screen.
>
>Is this because I'm logging in with the same ID?
>
>With Remote Assistance, the user requesting remote assistance still sees
>their screen while the remote helper does also. How can you do this using
>MSRDP.OCX and a host?
>

>"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> XP only allows one RD session at a time...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>benefit of all of us...
>rights...
>>
>> "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to allow more than 1 person to log into an XP Pro PC
>using
>> > Remote Desktop at the same time?
>> >
>> > There must be..... Why? Because that is essentilally what you are
>doing
>> > with Remote Assistance. You have the local user logged in and a remote
>user
>> > logged in at the same time.
>> >
>> > I just want to know how to initiate a session like Remote Assistance so
>that
>> > the logged in user can continue to work or follow along using MSRDP.OCX.
>> >
>> > If we know how to do this using MSRDP.OCX then could we also allow more
>than
>> > 1 person to log in to a Remote Desktop PC remotely and share the same
>> > desktop?
>> >
>> > Jim Hubbard
>> >

>> ---

Then that's the question..... How does Remote Assistance work? Which DLLs
are involved? How can we force this from a client solution?

I'm sure this wasn't covered on the MS exams....bet I feel sure we can crack
this nut if we try.

I may need to do a little testing in my lab to find the starting DLLs. Then
we try and access them ourselves.

I'm not looking for documentation (although I wouldn't mind some), just a
starting point.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:fiphd0102iaojq80nuc9ioltv630e8l9fa@4ax.com...
> The only way you can do this is via a shadow connection
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279656&sd=tech).
> Windows XP does not support doing this any other way than via Remote
> Assistance (or the shadow).
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:46:41 -0400, "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Sure....only one REMOTE session at a time. But when you use RDP clients
> >provided by MS, the host screen gets blocked with a logon screen.
> >
> >Is this because I'm logging in with the same ID?
> >
> >With Remote Assistance, the user requesting remote assistance still sees
> >their screen while the remote helper does also. How can you do this
using
> >MSRDP.OCX and a host?
> >

> >"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> XP only allows one RD session at a time...

> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual
> >benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >rights...
> >>
> >> "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com> wrote in message
> >using

> >doing
> >user

> >that
MSRDP.OCX.

> >than

> >> ---

In fact, I think I've got it figured out....but it'll have to wait until
tomorrow night for testing. I need some sleep.

> Then that's the question..... How does Remote Assistance work? Which
DLLs
> are involved? How can we force this from a client solution?
>
> I'm sure this wasn't covered on the MS exams....bet I feel sure we can
crack
> this nut if we try.
>
> I may need to do a little testing in my lab to find the starting DLLs.
Then
> we try and access them ourselves.
>
> I'm not looking for documentation (although I wouldn't mind some), just a
> starting point.
>

> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote
> in message news:fiphd0102iaojq80nuc9ioltv630e8l9fa@4ax.com...
> > The only way you can do this is via a shadow connection

(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279656&sd=tech).
> > Windows XP does not support doing this any other way than via Remote
> > Assistance (or the shadow).
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:46:41 -0400, "Jim Hubbard" <someone@home.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Sure....only one REMOTE session at a time. But when you use RDP
clients
> > >provided by MS, the host screen gets blocked with a logon screen.
> > >
> > >Is this because I'm logging in with the same ID?
> > >
> > >With Remote Assistance, the user requesting remote assistance still
sees
> > >their screen while the remote helper does also. How can you do this
> using
> > >MSRDP.OCX and a host?
> > >

> > >"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

> mutual
> > >benefit of all of us...
> > >rights...

> > >using

> > >doing
> remote
> > >user

Assistance
> so
> > >that
> MSRDP.OCX.

> more
> > >than

Remote Assistance uses portions of Remote Desktop... It wasn't meant
to be scriptable, though, from what I remember during the beta...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com