Start telnet on Windows XP Home from Fedora Core 1

Fast and simple,
I have these ports open on remote Windows XP Home:
135 through 139 TCP
445 TCP
593 TCP
1025 TCP
5000 TCP
....these are the only ports i would like to keep open, everything else
is closed. If i need to start telnet from fedora can i do this through
RPC call?
similar to net rpc <command> i could not get any information from man
file, it confused me and i've been digging through groups.google.com
all night long.

thanks,
Misha
PS I have right security credentials to log into XP home
1 answer Last reply
More about start telnet windows home fedora core

    I'm not quite following what you are saying.. Are you wanting to
    access the telnet service from redhat? If so, why not just use the
    normal telnet port (TCP 23)...

    Also, in general, you DO NOT want the ports you list (in particular)
    accessible via the internet... Why not secure the machine and only
    allow something like OpenSSH (http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/)
    which will allow terminal access and the ability to tunnel access to
    these other ports. Or, not quite a UNIX solution, set up a PPTP or
    L2TP VPN connection...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On 21 Jun 2004 23:56:11 -0700, mkovalch@chemistry.ohio-state.edu
    (Misha) wrote:

    >Fast and simple,
    >I have these ports open on remote Windows XP Home:
    >135 through 139 TCP
    >445 TCP
    >593 TCP
    >1025 TCP
    >5000 TCP
    >...these are the only ports i would like to keep open, everything else
    >is closed. If i need to start telnet from fedora can i do this through
    >RPC call?
    >similar to net rpc <command> i could not get any information from man
    >file, it confused me and i've been digging through groups.google.com
    >all night long.
    >
    >thanks,
    >Misha
    >PS I have right security credentials to log into XP home

Fedora Telnet Windows XP