Remote Desktop Kills Wireless Lan

Hello

I am running winXP SP1 on a PC that connects to my wireless adsl
router (Netgear DG834G 1.04.04) with a Netgear WG311 wireless card
using WPA-PSK security. My wireless lan runs without any problems
until I connect to my pc from work using remote desktop and then after
a few moments or if I disconnect my wireless lan goes down. Sometimes
if I reboot my router from the WAN side I can get the pc to reconnect
but genereally the lan is down until I restrart the pc when I get
home.

I know it isn't the network or hardware as I run the PC 24/7 and it is
fine until I connect using remote desktop. Anybody else have these
problems ?

Thanks
Simon
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop kills wireless

    Have you tried this from another PC on your home LAN to see if it behaves the same?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Simon" <simond@mailbox.co.za> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I am running winXP SP1 on a PC that connects to my wireless adsl
    > router (Netgear DG834G 1.04.04) with a Netgear WG311 wireless card
    > using WPA-PSK security. My wireless lan runs without any problems
    > until I connect to my pc from work using remote desktop and then after
    > a few moments or if I disconnect my wireless lan goes down. Sometimes
    > if I reboot my router from the WAN side I can get the pc to reconnect
    > but genereally the lan is down until I restrart the pc when I get
    > home.
    >
    > I know it isn't the network or hardware as I run the PC 24/7 and it is
    > fine until I connect using remote desktop. Anybody else have these
    > problems ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Simon

    ---

    I have a similar problem, when I switch users, on my
    laptop, you have to physically eject/re-insert the 3Com
    11g PCMCIA wireless card, to enable it again.

    In your problem, are you using the same user name when you
    connect to the Remote Desktop machine? if not, you may be
    experiencing my problem, as described above.

    Tuneap

    for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"Simon" <simond@mailbox.co.za> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am running winXP SP1 on a PC that connects to my
    wireless adsl
    >> router (Netgear DG834G 1.04.04) with a Netgear WG311
    wireless card
    >> using WPA-PSK security. My wireless lan runs without
    any problems
    >> until I connect to my pc from work using remote desktop
    and then after
    >> a few moments or if I disconnect my wireless lan goes
    down. Sometimes
    >> if I reboot my router from the WAN side I can get the
    pc to reconnect
    >> but genereally the lan is down until I restrart the pc
    when I get
    >> home.
    >>
    >> I know it isn't the network or hardware as I run the PC
    24/7 and it is
    >> fine until I connect using remote desktop. Anybody else
    have these
    >> problems ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Simon
    >

    >---
    6/18/2004

    >.

Remote Desktop Connection Wireless Lan Windows XP