Recording What's on the Monitor

I'd like to record (video and audio) what's appearing on my computer.
It may be clips from a DVD or CD, but mainly I'd be interested in
recording streaming video and/or audio from web pages. I have an ATI
video card with composite and S-video input and output jacks. I've
tried connecting the output to the input jack but it didn't work. I
can record TV programs without any problem, but the card's menu gives
options to select either TV or composite/S-video input for recording.

I thought there might be a monitor which has video/audio outputs which
I could connect to the video card, but haven't been able to locate
one.

Has anyone else had any success in doing what I'm trying, or am I
trying to do the impossible?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

lynn

rs

There probably is, but your doing it the hard way. It goes through the video
card anyway, so you could use a card with TV outputs that you could connect
to a VCR, or there are software programs that will capture a video stream.

As a caution however, video streams will typically be of poor quality and
small size, which if streatched to fill a TV screen will degrade even
further.

"lynn lucas" <lucaslyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to record (video and audio) what's appearing on my computer.
> It may be clips from a DVD or CD, but mainly I'd be interested in
> recording streaming video and/or audio from web pages. I have an ATI
> video card with composite and S-video input and output jacks. I've
> tried connecting the output to the input jack but it didn't work. I
> can record TV programs without any problem, but the card's menu gives
> options to select either TV or composite/S-video input for recording.
>
> I thought there might be a monitor which has video/audio outputs which
> I could connect to the video card, but haven't been able to locate
> one.
>
> Has anyone else had any success in doing what I'm trying, or am I
> trying to do the impossible?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> lynn

martin

"lynn lucas" <lucaslyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to record (video and audio) what's appearing on my computer.
> It may be clips from a DVD or CD, but mainly I'd be interested in
> recording streaming video and/or audio from web pages. I have an ATI
> video card with composite and S-video input and output jacks. I've
> tried connecting the output to the input jack but it didn't work. I
> can record TV programs without any problem, but the card's menu gives
> options to select either TV or composite/S-video input for recording.
>
> I thought there might be a monitor which has video/audio outputs which
> I could connect to the video card, but haven't been able to locate
> one.
>
> Has anyone else had any success in doing what I'm trying, or am I
> trying to do the impossible?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> lynn

Head to Google for 'screen capture software'.

Here's a link
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=screen+capture+freeware

Also the latest (free) Windows Media Encoder can - i believe - capture the
screen to a file.

Martin.

lynn lucas wrote:
> I'd like to record (video and audio) what's appearing on my computer.
> It may be clips from a DVD or CD, but mainly I'd be interested in
> recording streaming video and/or audio from web pages. I have an ATI
> video card with composite and S-video input and output jacks. I've
> tried connecting the output to the input jack but it didn't work. I
> can record TV programs without any problem, but the card's menu gives
> options to select either TV or composite/S-video input for recording.
>
> I thought there might be a monitor which has video/audio outputs which
> I could connect to the video card, but haven't been able to locate
> one.
>
> Has anyone else had any success in doing what I'm trying, or am I
> trying to do the impossible?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> lynn

I was going to suggest Hypercam - but then I came across
http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/faqs.asp#PlayOverlay on their site.

Also on the software side, there's Camtasia at
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

For hardware, check out TwinPact 100 ($600 list but it seems to be worth it)
from Canopus at
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/TwinPact100/pt_TwinPact100.asp

Mike

AnthonyR

"lynn lucas" <lucaslyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to record (video and audio) what's appearing on my computer.
> It may be clips from a DVD or CD, but mainly I'd be interested in
> recording streaming video and/or audio from web pages. I have an ATI
> video card with composite and S-video input and output jacks. I've
> tried connecting the output to the input jack but it didn't work. I
> can record TV programs without any problem, but the card's menu gives
> options to select either TV or composite/S-video input for recording.
>
> I thought there might be a monitor which has video/audio outputs which
> I could connect to the video card, but haven't been able to locate
> one.
>
> Has anyone else had any success in doing what I'm trying, or am I
> trying to do the impossible?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> lynn

Hello Lynn,
Yes what you want to do is done using a product called a scan converter that
changes RGB video from the computer monitor to analog or digital NTSC video
for use in video projects. Such as training tapes etc.
There is a new device out that does this and more, called the twinPact100
made by Canopus.
here is the link:
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/TwinPact100/pt_TwinPact100.asp

Good Luck,
AnthonyR.

Thanks. I was looking at the unit on their website and it seemed like
it could do what I wanted. Do you have the unit, or know anyone who
does? I'd be interested to know if it would bypass Macrovision, too.
One of their other products is supposed to, or at least earlier models
did. I think it's the ADVC 100.

lynn