Remote Desktop Web Connection - Need Help

June 22, 2004 8:40:53 PM

I have been succesfully using the RDC client for over a
year to connect to my home desktop pc from my office
laptop. However, my company recently locked down our
laptops, so I now need to use the web based component.

I am running Windows XP Pro behind a Westell DSL Wirespeed
modem and a DLink 713 Wireless router.

I have turned on Remote Desktop within IIS per the
microsoft knowledge base.

I am able to connect with Web Connection with my company
laptop when both PC's are plugged into my router.
However, when I connect to the VPN with my laptop (to
simulate connecting from the office) I cannot connect. I
have tried using both my static external IP address
assigned by my ISP (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/tsweb/), and
with a DNS name from No-Ip.com (which I used before I got
the static IP http://myname.no-ip.com/tsweb/). I have
tried to change the port on my default website and made
sure I forwarded that port on the router.

I'm at a loss, and the MS knowledge base only has a couple
of entries I can find related to web connection.

Any ideas?

TIA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 24, 2004 12:31:15 AM

Explain where the VPN comes in?

It appears you have Remote Desktop Web Connection working properly on the
local LAN at home.

You mentioned changing the port for IIS.

If you've succeeded in doing this, you should be able to test that at
home--so you should know whether that port change is successful or not.

Changing the port gets around one obstacle to RDWC, which is that some large
ISP's, Verizon (in some areas) for example--block port 80 inbound to DSL
subscriber lines.

If you get all this working at home, I'd recommend testing from another
location besides your workplace next--a friends house, perhaps.

In the end, you may find that all of this is for naught. What does the
lockdown entail? If it removes the ability to run Remote Desktop
Connection, it may also remove the ability to install the ActiveX component
required by RDWC. Even if the ActiveX component is allowed, RDWC may not
function across a web proxy/firewall combination. You may also be done in
by the changed IIS port--unless you've picked a port you know to be
permitted outbound by your company .

"James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been succesfully using the RDC client for over a
> year to connect to my home desktop pc from my office
> laptop. However, my company recently locked down our
> laptops, so I now need to use the web based component.
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro behind a Westell DSL Wirespeed
> modem and a DLink 713 Wireless router.
>
> I have turned on Remote Desktop within IIS per the
> microsoft knowledge base.
>
> I am able to connect with Web Connection with my company
> laptop when both PC's are plugged into my router.
> However, when I connect to the VPN with my laptop (to
> simulate connecting from the office) I cannot connect. I
> have tried using both my static external IP address
> assigned by my ISP (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/tsweb/), and
> with a DNS name from No-Ip.com (which I used before I got
> the static IP http://myname.no-ip.com/tsweb/). I have
> tried to change the port on my default website and made
> sure I forwarded that port on the router.
>
> I'm at a loss, and the MS knowledge base only has a couple
> of entries I can find related to web connection.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
June 24, 2004 7:44:57 PM

I was using the VPN to test if I could access from
an "outside" address, just to lazy to use a dial up
account.

I have successfully changed the listening port from port
80 to another port that I do not think my ISP (Bellsouth)
has blocked. I can connect from my laptop to my desktop
using web connection when both machines are behind the
router (using http://192.168.0.110/tsweb/) using the new
port. However, when I disconnect my laptop from the
router and dial up my ISP, when I try to connect my
external static IP (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.70/tsweb/) I
receive a page cannot be displayed.

I have forwarded the new port for my default website on my
router.

I have the ActiveX already downloaded, since I am using my
work laptop in this testing scenario. So if I can get
this working here, I am hoping I only need to worry about
using a port that is not blocked by my companies firewall.

Thanks for your help.

Related resources
June 24, 2004 8:11:47 PM

OK, I now have it working locally on port 3389, entering
my pc name for the server name, it takes me to the user
name and password screen for my pc.

And I can connect to the Remote Desktop Web Connection
screen using either dial up, or my company VPN connection
(http://myexternalipaddress:3389/tsweb/). However, when I
enter my pc name for the server name when I am not local,
I get a VBScript error saying "The specified remote
computer could not be found. Verify that you have typed
the correct computer name or IP Address and then try
connecting again"

Is there a special syntax I have to use for the computer
name? Or do I need to change some setting?

TIA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2004 12:18:21 AM

If I am recalling correctly, the syntax you need is:

 ort/tsweb/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:p ort/tsweb/

So--if that works, both from outside (use a dialup!) and from inside, you
have that part right.

However, I was asleep last night apparently, 'cause I didn't warn you of the
other fallacy in your thinking:

You connect over [port] to IIS. Your browser assents to download the
ActiveX control (or already has it in place!) The ActiveX control then
makes the RDP connection. What port does it use? By default, 3389.

So, if 3389 is blocked, you are still blocked.

You can change the listening port for Remote Desktop Connection:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306759

Note that a reboot is required for this change to take effect.

Then, to have the ActiveX control use that changed port, you must modify the
HTML in the /tsweb IIS installation.

Take a look at the last URL linked to from this page:

http://www.smartdisplays.net/Default.aspx?tabid=50

That should show you what you need to do, or allow you to test easily.

>I was using the VPN to test if I could access from
> an "outside" address, just to lazy to use a dial up
> account.
>
> I have successfully changed the listening port from port
> 80 to another port that I do not think my ISP (Bellsouth)
> has blocked. I can connect from my laptop to my desktop
> using web connection when both machines are behind the
> router (using http://192.168.0.110/tsweb/) using the new
> port. However, when I disconnect my laptop from the
> router and dial up my ISP, when I try to connect my
> external static IP (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.70/tsweb/) I
> receive a page cannot be displayed.
>
> I have forwarded the new port for my default website on my
> router.
>
> I have the ActiveX already downloaded, since I am using my
> work laptop in this testing scenario. So if I can get
> this working here, I am hoping I only need to worry about
> using a port that is not blocked by my companies firewall.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2004 12:20:33 AM

Don't enter any name at all--just hit enter.

!