So we need another option......

VNC is too darned slow and Remote Desktop is not open enough for us to
expand it's capabilities (i.e. Group Sessions, logging in without locking
the remote desktop, etc.).

I have been experimenting with screen compression, and I get 93-97%
compression on a full color (32 bit, 1280x1024) screen (with detailed
background).

What I need is a GDI/GDI+ expert to bounce some ideas off of........know
anyone?

Have you tried UltraVNC? It has hooks into the GDI with it's video
drivers...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Sorry - http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:10:20 -0400, "Jim Hubbard"
<jim__hubbard@hotmail.com> wrote:

>VNC is too darned slow and Remote Desktop is not open enough for us to
>expand it's capabilities (i.e. Group Sessions, logging in without locking
>the remote desktop, etc.).
>
>I have been experimenting with screen compression, and I get 93-97%
>compression on a full color (32 bit, 1280x1024) screen (with detailed
>background).
>
>What I need is a GDI/GDI+ expert to bounce some ideas off of........know
>anyone?

too s l o w

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:vrbkd0prjs0omnuk8lcoq5ujj2mj58t3mg@4ax.com...

Jim Hubbard wrote:
> too s l o w

What is your connection speed?

I have found that at 1Mbit down, 256kbit upstream, Terminal services is
pretty good.. at 1Mbit down, 512kbit upstream, it's like being there..
Anything above that is just great.

VNC gives generally the same result but uses much more of the remote
resources.. So you have to have a beefier system on the host end.

What are you trying to do, render video over it? It's not really mad3e for
more than administration and simple functions (Word, Excel, Email, etc..)

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Jim,

"Jim Hubbard" <jim__hubbard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> VNC is too darned slow and Remote Desktop is not open enough for us to
> expand it's capabilities (i.e. Group Sessions, logging in without locking
> the remote desktop, etc.).

On the free side, i don't see anything better than Remote desktop and VNC. I
agree that VNC (at least the official version, i've never tried all the
custom VNC around) is too slow for anything serious, even on our 100Mb LAN.
If you want to do it yourslef, it will probably require a lot of work to
have something faster than VNC. A commercial alternative that we've been
evaluating is Net Support. It offers all that you want and much more and is
quite fast. Much faster than VNC anyway. But it's also rather expensive as
you have to buy a license not only for the host computer but also for each
and every client machine. There's a free full featured evaluation version if
you want to give it a try: http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/

Even with the video hook driver? Also, don't enable compressions on a
LAN - this slows it down considerably.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com