8 mm analog & 8 digital video transfer to DVD

When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of 8
mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
only transfer 80 minutes.

Why is there such a difference?

Sony digital camcorder is used to transfer both 8 mm formats to PC.
Sony VAIO software is used to convert videos to MPEG-2 format.
ULEAD Video Studio 7 is used to transfer MPEG-2 to DVD.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don
3 answers Last reply
More about analog digital video transfer

    "Don Prince" <princed@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OVgdd.286987$3l3.49524@attbi_s03...
    > When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of 8
    > mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
    > only transfer 80 minutes.
    >
    > Why is there such a difference?
    >
    > Sony digital camcorder is used to transfer both 8 mm formats to PC.
    > Sony VAIO software is used to convert videos to MPEG-2 format.
    > ULEAD Video Studio 7 is used to transfer MPEG-2 to DVD.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > Don

    Are you using Fat32, or NTFS, or a combination of both?

    mark_

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, "Don Prince" <princed@comcast.net> wrote:
    >When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of 8
    >mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
    >only transfer 80 minutes.
    >Why is there such a difference?

    Far as I know, the digital format on tape takes more space, so
    the same physical size tape for digital just holds less... but
    that is only from reading video forum messages, not from doing
    that myself, so could be wrong

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Analog 8mm and Hi8 tapes hold 120 minutes. The Digital8 format runs faster
    and the tape only holds 60 minutes using the exact same cassette type. Most
    8mm and Hi8 camcorders ran at only one speed, thus the 120 minute limit. The
    digital format camcorders allow for both SP and LP speeds, thus the time
    yields of 60 and 90 minutes.

    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions
    webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
    http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
    877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
    386-672-1941 customer Service
    386-672-1907 Technical Support
    386-676-1515 Fax

    "Don Prince" <princed@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of
    > 8
    > mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
    > only transfer 80 minutes.
    >
    > Why is there such a difference?
    >
    > Sony digital camcorder is used to transfer both 8 mm formats to PC.
    > Sony VAIO software is used to convert videos to MPEG-2 format.
    > ULEAD Video Studio 7 is used to transfer MPEG-2 to DVD.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > Don

Tuner Cards Video DVD Digital Video Graphics