8 mm analog & 8 digital video transfer to DVD

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Video
  • DVD
  • Digital Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2004 2:53:34 AM

When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of 8
mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
only transfer 80 minutes.

Why is there such a difference?

Sony digital camcorder is used to transfer both 8 mm formats to PC.
Sony VAIO software is used to convert videos to MPEG-2 format.
ULEAD Video Studio 7 is used to transfer MPEG-2 to DVD.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don

More about : analog digital video transfer dvd

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:05:14 AM

"Don Prince" <princed@comcast.net> wrote in message news:o Vgdd.286987$3l3.49524@attbi_s03...
> When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of 8
> mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
> only transfer 80 minutes.
>
> Why is there such a difference?
>
> Sony digital camcorder is used to transfer both 8 mm formats to PC.
> Sony VAIO software is used to convert videos to MPEG-2 format.
> ULEAD Video Studio 7 is used to transfer MPEG-2 to DVD.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Don

Are you using Fat32, or NTFS, or a combination of both?

mark_
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 2:37:21 PM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, "Don Prince" <princed@comcast.net> wrote:
>When I transfer my 8 mm home videos to DVD, I can transfer 120 minutes of 8
>mm analog video to DVD but when I transfer 8 mm digital video to DVD I can
>only transfer 80 minutes.
>Why is there such a difference?

Far as I know, the digital format on tape takes more space, so
the same physical size tape for digital just holds less... but
that is only from reading video forum messages, not from doing
that myself, so could be wrong

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 10:03:40 PM

Analog 8mm and Hi8 tapes hold 120 minutes. The Digital8 format runs faster
and the tape only holds 60 minutes using the exact same cassette type. Most
8mm and Hi8 camcorders ran at only one speed, thus the 120 minute limit. The
digital format camcorders allow for both SP and LP speeds, thus the time
yields of 60 and 90 minutes.

Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions
webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com