Setting up Remote Desktop Web Connection

June 23, 2004 10:49:01 PM

Hi,

I am trying to set up the remote desktop web connection with Windows XP Professional. I went on the Microsoft web site and found a page that told me how to install the web host part of it. Can you use it without a web server and just make your computer a web server??? I have a linksys wireless and wired router and cable internet through Earthlink. I am also using a Mcafee firewall.

I would appreciate some help on this matter; I am a beginner so it would be helpful if the instructions were plain, specific and simple.

Thanks,
Kevin
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:16:27 AM

You already have a webserver (IIS) in WinXP. Just install the TSWeb app and
it should be good to go...

Kevin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up the remote desktop web connection with Windows
> XP Professional. I went on the Microsoft web site and found a page
> that told me how to install the web host part of it. Can you use it
> without a web server and just make your computer a web server??? I
> have a linksys wireless and wired router and cable internet through
> Earthlink. I am also using a Mcafee firewall.
>
> I would appreciate some help on this matter; I am a beginner so it
> would be helpful if the instructions were plain, specific and simple.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:23:02 PM

I was looking in the directions and it said to type in for the address, http://"server name"/tsweb. Is the server name the name of my computer, the ip address of my computer, the ip address of my router, then the port number of my computer or what???
Thanks

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> You already have a webserver (IIS) in WinXP. Just install the TSWeb app and
> it should be good to go...
>
> Kevin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to set up the remote desktop web connection with Windows
> > XP Professional. I went on the Microsoft web site and found a page
> > that told me how to install the web host part of it. Can you use it
> > without a web server and just make your computer a web server??? I
> > have a linksys wireless and wired router and cable internet through
> > Earthlink. I am also using a Mcafee firewall.
> >
> > I would appreciate some help on this matter; I am a beginner so it
> > would be helpful if the instructions were plain, specific and simple.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin

June 24, 2004 12:26:02 PM

refering to the second post. Is there an actual app. that you can use or is it like a service? Also how do you activate it??????????

Thanks

"Kevin" wrote:

> I was looking in the directions and it said to type in for the address, http://"server name"/tsweb. Is the server name the name of my computer, the ip address of my computer, the ip address of my router, then the port number of my computer or what???
> Thanks
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
> > You already have a webserver (IIS) in WinXP. Just install the TSWeb app and
> > it should be good to go...
> >
> > Kevin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to set up the remote desktop web connection with Windows
> > > XP Professional. I went on the Microsoft web site and found a page
> > > that told me how to install the web host part of it. Can you use it
> > > without a web server and just make your computer a web server??? I
> > > have a linksys wireless and wired router and cable internet through
> > > Earthlink. I am also using a Mcafee firewall.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate some help on this matter; I am a beginner so it
> > > would be helpful if the instructions were plain, specific and simple.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Kevin

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:55:31 PM

Your "server name" is your public IP address (or a dynamic DNS name,
if you have set one up at http://www.dyndns.org or one of the other
dynamic DNS providers).

You only specify the port number if it is different than standard, in
which case it is http://servername:p ort/tsweb (note that the port
reference refers to the IIS port, not the Remote Desktop port). If
you want to respecify the Remote Desktop port, you need to use a
slightly modified version of the remote desktop page to do this...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:23:02 -0700, "Kevin"
<Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was looking in the directions and it said to type in for the address, http://"server name"/tsweb. Is the server name the name of my computer, the ip address of my computer, the ip address of my router, then the port number of my computer or what???
>Thanks
>
>"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> You already have a webserver (IIS) in WinXP. Just install the TSWeb app and
>> it should be good to go...
>>
>> Kevin wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am trying to set up the remote desktop web connection with Windows
>> > XP Professional. I went on the Microsoft web site and found a page
>> > that told me how to install the web host part of it. Can you use it
>> > without a web server and just make your computer a web server??? I
>> > have a linksys wireless and wired router and cable internet through
>> > Earthlink. I am also using a Mcafee firewall.
>> >
>> > I would appreciate some help on this matter; I am a beginner so it
>> > would be helpful if the instructions were plain, specific and simple.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kevin

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:56:25 PM

You can use the main client, which is started by running "mstsc".

The server side is built into Windows XP Pro or higher..

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:26:02 -0700, "Kevin"
<Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>refering to the second post. Is there an actual app. that you can use or is it like a service? Also how do you activate it??????????
>
>Thanks
>
>"Kevin" wrote:
>
>> I was looking in the directions and it said to type in for the address, http://"server name"/tsweb. Is the server name the name of my computer, the ip address of my computer, the ip address of my router, then the port number of my computer or what???
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>>
>> > You already have a webserver (IIS) in WinXP. Just install the TSWeb app and
>> > it should be good to go...

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 2:12:18 AM

FYI The first 5 IPs are free at www.no-ip.info .