Which camera for night photos < US200?

I have a Kodak DX3500 digital camera. It does fine for me except the night
photos. If there isn't much light available, the photos come out mostly
dark. The flash doesn't help because the subjects are far away - various
city photos for example. I believe a longer exposure will take care of this
situation. Is that correct?

Which cameras will take good night photos and sell for under US200, perhaps
even on eBay? If not for under US200, what else might be available that
doesn't go to much over that price?

Thanks,
Brett

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>I have a Kodak DX3500 digital camera. It does fine for me except the night
>photos. If there isn't much light available, the photos come out mostly
>dark. The flash doesn't help because the subjects are far away - various
>city photos for example. I believe a longer exposure will take care of
>this situation. Is that correct?
>
> Which cameras will take good night photos and sell for under US200,
> perhaps even on eBay? If not for under US200, what else might be
> available that doesn't go to much over that price?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Most cameras with manual settings for shutter speed and aperture and a
tripod socket.

The manual setting is necessary because the exposure for night photography
can be very long.
Therefore you need the camera on a steady tripod.

Here is one page on the subject.
http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial-night-photography.html

If you do a Google search for "night photography tutorial" without the
quotes, you will find many web pages on the subject.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

You probably can find one of these on ebay - Oly 2100uz.

Only 2 megapixel, but it's night capabilities are pretty amazing for a
digicam, not to mention the 10x image-stabilized optical zoom and its
stunning 2 mp photos (easily good enough for 8x10). There is a user group -
occasional used ones for sale) here:
Yahoo groups.) Users there are pretty good at knowing what has similar
attributes.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> I have a Kodak DX3500 digital camera. It does fine for me except the
night
> photos. If there isn't much light available, the photos come out mostly
> dark. The flash doesn't help because the subjects are far away - various
> city photos for example. I believe a longer exposure will take care of
this
> situation. Is that correct?
>
> Which cameras will take good night photos and sell for under US200,
perhaps
> even on eBay? If not for under US200, what else might be available that
> doesn't go to much over that price?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Oooops.... that should be "Olympus," in case it wasn't clear and "its" not
"it's" :O(

--

Brett wrote:
> I have a Kodak DX3500 digital camera. It does fine for me except the
> night photos. If there isn't much light available, the photos come
> out mostly dark. The flash doesn't help because the subjects are far
> away - various city photos for example. I believe a longer exposure
> will take care of this situation. Is that correct?
>
> Which cameras will take good night photos and sell for under US200,
> perhaps even on eBay? If not for under US200, what else might be
> available that doesn't go to much over that price?

The Nikon CoolPix 5400 is worth considering. It will do up to a 10 minute
exposure, and there's a $200 rebate.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5400/C54A.HTM

If you look on www.PriceGrabber.com you can find a new camera with a net
price under $200. Don't go for the cheapest ones, but pay a little more for
a reputable place - Compuplus.com is a good vendor.
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=pricegrabber.com&id=1003365759

--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com