Access to home PC while travelling

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a XP home PC connected to the Internet by cable
modem though my ISP. I have a dial-up account to my ISP
for when I'm travelling. Can I use the dial-up from my
laptop to tunnel through my ISP to my home-office
computer while away from home?

JS

When you say XP home PC--does that mean Windows XP, Home edition?

If so, unfortunately, the Remote Desktop feature we support here isn't
available to you--it's only available on Windows XP Professional edition.

(You have an accessories, communications, menu item for Remote Desktop
Connection, but that allows you to connect to another machine--not have
others connect to you.)

There are alternatives--NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing--on XP, do Start,
run, conf <enter> to get NetMeeting going, and look into that feature.

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a XP home PC connected to the Internet by cable
> modem though my ISP. I have a dial-up account to my ISP
> for when I'm travelling. Can I use the dial-up from my
> laptop to tunnel through my ISP to my home-office
> computer while away from home?
>
> JS

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Bill,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have XP
Professional on my office PC (which is at home).

John

Then look at Remote Desktop. Its designed exactly for this purpose...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

If the PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router make sure TCP Port 3389 is open. Call using the public IP
of the firewall/NAT/router...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> Bill,
>
> Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have XP
> Professional on my office PC (which is at home).
>
> John

---

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I am using Norton Internet Security personal firewall.
It is new and I'm unfamiliar with all its hidden
recesses. Where do I find out whether TCP Port 3389 is
open and what the public IP address of the firewall is?

John

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Bill,
>>
>> Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have XP
>> Professional on my office PC (which is at home).
>>
>> John

(http://www.grisoft.com).
6/25/2004

>.

Well, I don't use NIS so I can't speak to that other than to look at these pages from Symantec that
may or may not help you getting TCP Port 3389 open on the firewall...

http://tinyurl.com/35j3p
http://tinyurl.com/2v9dx

That presumes you enabled Remote Desktop access on the PC...

If your PC is connected directly to the public internet you can get the IP by running "ipconfig
/all" from the "Start -> Run" command line or by going to either of these web sites...

http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

If your PC is behind a physical firewall/NAT/router then forget about the ipconfig command and use
one of the two web sites I pointed you to...

--

>I am using Norton Internet Security personal firewall.
> It is new and I'm unfamiliar with all its hidden
> recesses. Where do I find out whether TCP Port 3389 is
> open and what the public IP address of the firewall is?
>
> John

---

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks Al,

I now have remote access operating (with your help) and
tested.

many thanks.

john

and