Remote Desktop doesn't work outside of my network...

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I can use remote desktop to my computer at work from within my company's network but not outside of it. My computer at work is configured for firewall passage. I can remote to other computers within my company's network from outside of the network. Other computer's outside of my company's network cannot access my work computer either. I get the login screen, enter my username and password and after I press enter the screen freezes for about 30seconds and then closes. The event view error is as follows: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (A socket was attempted to an unreachable host.). Group Policy processing aborted." Event ID: 1054.

I have read some fixes others have put out but not sure which on to take. My work computer is a compaq running XP Pro.

Any suggestions?

What happens if someone logs onto your desktop from inside the LAN?
It shouldn't behave differently... The error you are seeing means
that (more than likely) your DNS and/or WINS settings on the desktop
are not configured properly and that you can't find a DC for your
domain.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:20:01 -0700, "Jake"
<Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can use remote desktop to my computer at work from within my company's network but not outside of it. My computer at work is configured for firewall passage. I can remote to other computers within my company's network from outside of the network. Other computer's outside of my company's network cannot access my work computer either. I get the login screen, enter my username and password and after I press enter the screen freezes for about 30seconds and then closes. The event view error is as follows: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (A socket was attempted to an unreachable host.). Group Policy processing aborted." Event ID: 1054.
>
>I have read some fixes others have put out but not sure which on to take. My work computer is a compaq running XP Pro.
>
>Any suggestions?

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Jeffrey:

Thanks for responding to my post.

To answer your question, I was able to remote connect to my desktop from several different computers within my LAN. When trying to remote from outside the LAN using comcast internet from three different locations (two coworkers and myself, all connected to the internet via comcast) the same thing happens: user name, password, enter, screen freezes for thirty seconds or so and then the RDC program closes. I checked the DNS and Wins settings on the desktop and there is nothing out of the ordinary...I am stumped.

Anyone have any experience with this?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> What happens if someone logs onto your desktop from inside the LAN?
> It shouldn't behave differently... The error you are seeing means
> that (more than likely) your DNS and/or WINS settings on the desktop
> are not configured properly and that you can't find a DC for your
> domain.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:20:01 -0700, "Jake"
> <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can use remote desktop to my computer at work from within my company's network but not outside of it. My computer at work is configured for firewall passage. I can remote to other computers within my company's network from outside of the network. Other computer's outside of my company's network cannot access my work computer either. I get the login screen, enter my username and password and after I press enter the screen freezes for about 30seconds and then closes. The event view error is as follows: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (A socket was attempted to an unreachable host.). Group Policy processing aborted." Event ID: 1054.
> >
> >I have read some fixes others have put out but not sure which on to take. My work computer is a compaq running XP Pro.
> >
> >Any suggestions?

That's a new error.... :(

Hmm.. Let me think.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:48:02 -0700, "Jake"
<Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Jeffrey:
>
>Thanks for responding to my post.
>
>To answer your question, I was able to remote connect to my desktop from several different computers within my LAN. When trying to remote from outside the LAN using comcast internet from three different locations (two coworkers and myself, all connected to the internet via comcast) the same thing happens: user name, password, enter, screen freezes for thirty seconds or so and then the RDC program closes. I checked the DNS and Wins settings on the desktop and there is nothing out of the ordinary...I am stumped.
>
>Anyone have any experience with this?
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What happens if someone logs onto your desktop from inside the LAN?
>> It shouldn't behave differently... The error you are seeing means
>> that (more than likely) your DNS and/or WINS settings on the desktop
>> are not configured properly and that you can't find a DC for your
>> domain.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:20:01 -0700, "Jake"
>> <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I can use remote desktop to my computer at work from within my company's network but not outside of it. My computer at work is configured for firewall passage. I can remote to other computers within my company's network from outside of the network. Other computer's outside of my company's network cannot access my work computer either. I get the login screen, enter my username and password and after I press enter the screen freezes for about 30seconds and then closes. The event view error is as follows: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (A socket was attempted to an unreachable host.). Group Policy processing aborted." Event ID: 1054.
>> >
>> >I have read some fixes others have put out but not sure which on to take. My work computer is a compaq running XP Pro.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions?

I am having a very similar problem. I was able to use RDC
for awhile and then recently I get to the login screen
and login. My desktop begins to load and then the host
computer displays "Closing Network Connections" and RDC
closes. Just like Jake it works from other internal LAN
computers fine, but not out of network even though it did
until recently. Thanks in advance for your help!