Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Make Use of Media Works for Internet Access from PDA/Lapto..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 2:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Please help me to make use of my Cingular Media Works from my T720
mobile phone with a PDA/laptop. I got few postings from google and
still had no clue on how to access the internet with my
E115/PCG-FXA48+T720+data cable (CF&USB).

Currently, I use the "browse" feature of the T720 to browse the
internet. Going to other WAP sites results in "502:Bad Gateway". I
used to be able to dial in my ISP (LAFN.ORG) with my T720/PDA/laptop(
under Wireless Internet plan) but not any more (no dial tone under
Media Works plan!!!).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards.
Cingular User in Los Angeles
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:53:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Someone else gave me these settings that work with MediaWorks (posted in an
ealier message in this group). These setting worked for his Nokia phone and
my Siemens phone. Also, when I ordered MediaWorks, Cingular actually forgot
to turn it on for me so these settings did not work until I called them.
Here ya' go:

For the WAP browser in the phone:
Homepage: http://device.home
Proxies: Enabled
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
Data Bearer: GPRS
Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
Authentication Type: Secure
Login type: automatic
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)


For Laptop/PDA connection:
In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
is connected to
In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1


--

"Van" <ay501@lafn.org> wrote in message
news:393902b5.0406090941.51ef36b@posting.google.com...
> Please help me to make use of my Cingular Media Works from my T720
> mobile phone with a PDA/laptop. I got few postings from google and
> still had no clue on how to access the internet with my
> E115/PCG-FXA48+T720+data cable (CF&USB).
>
> Currently, I use the "browse" feature of the T720 to browse the
> internet. Going to other WAP sites results in "502:Bad Gateway". I
> used to be able to dial in my ISP (LAFN.ORG) with my T720/PDA/laptop(
> under Wireless Internet plan) but not any more (no dial tone under
> Media Works plan!!!).
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks and regards.
> Cingular User in Los Angeles
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 1:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks! It works!
:-)
"Jim B." <nospamforjim@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Xagyc.8725$eu.1057@attbi_s02>...
> Someone else gave me these settings that work with MediaWorks (posted in an
> ealier message in this group). These setting worked for his Nokia phone and
> my Siemens phone. Also, when I ordered MediaWorks, Cingular actually forgot
> to turn it on for me so these settings did not work until I called them.
> Here ya' go:
>
> For the WAP browser in the phone:
> Homepage: http://device.home
> Proxies: Enabled
> Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
> Data Bearer: GPRS
> Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
> Authentication Type: Secure
> Login type: automatic
> User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
> Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)
>
>
> For Laptop/PDA connection:
> In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
> In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
> is connected to
> In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
> In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1
>
>
> --
>
> "Van" <ay501@lafn.org> wrote in message
> news:393902b5.0406090941.51ef36b@posting.google.com...
> > Please help me to make use of my Cingular Media Works from my T720
> > mobile phone with a PDA/laptop. I got few postings from google and
> > still had no clue on how to access the internet with my
> > E115/PCG-FXA48+T720+data cable (CF&USB).
> >
> > Currently, I use the "browse" feature of the T720 to browse the
> > internet. Going to other WAP sites results in "502:Bad Gateway". I
> > used to be able to dial in my ISP (LAFN.ORG) with my T720/PDA/laptop(
> > under Wireless Internet plan) but not any more (no dial tone under
> > Media Works plan!!!).
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks and regards.
> > Cingular User in Los Angeles
Related resources
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have used the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password CINGULAR1, and
dial number of *99# to successfully connect my laptop to the internet
via my Cingular cell phone.

I can surf the web, send email, use IM. But, I cannot -send- email.
Is there a Cingular SMTP server I should specify in my email account
setup? Cingular customer service says this can't be done!


--
twestley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t124504.html
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:17:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
twestley <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> I have used the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password CINGULAR1, and
> dial number of *99# to successfully connect my laptop to the internet
> via my Cingular cell phone.
>
> I can surf the web, send email, use IM. But, I cannot -send- email.
> Is there a Cingular SMTP server I should specify in my email account
> setup? Cingular customer service says this can't be done!
>
>
mycingular.com
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:54:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <rmarkoff-843F3E.16171227072004@news2.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 27 Jul
2004 21:17:13 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
> twestley <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>
>> I have used the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password CINGULAR1, and
>> dial number of *99# to successfully connect my laptop to the internet
>> via my Cingular cell phone.
>>
>> I can surf the web, send email, use IM. But, I cannot -send- email.
>> Is there a Cingular SMTP server I should specify in my email account
>> setup? Cingular customer service says this can't be done!

photo.mycingular.com (if you're willing to put up with a Cingular ad being
tacked on to the end of your outgoing messages).

>mycingular.com

Wrong again. Doesn't exist.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 1:34:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:taANc.4474$54.66324@typhoon.sonic.net...
> Wrong again. Doesn't exist.
>
> --
> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

Hi John, I remember you from the old FIDOnet days. Is there an online guide
somewhere that would take me step by step through the email setup for a
Motorola v600 using Cingular? I've Googled but can't seem to find what I'm
looking for. I can send to and read email on the phone, but I can't
send -from- the phone.

TIA,
Barry
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 8:00:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <Zb-dncB6uYRqYZXcRVn-qg@comcast.com> on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:34:49 -0400,
"Barry Delfino" <bdelfino@comcast.net> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>news:taANc.4474$54.66324@typhoon.sonic.net...

>>...

>Hi John, I remember you from the old FIDOnet days.

Wow -- so long ago -- cool. :) 

>Is there an online guide
>somewhere that would take me step by step through the email setup for a
>Motorola v600 using Cingular? I've Googled but can't seem to find what I'm
>looking for. I can send to and read email on the phone, but I can't
>send -from- the phone.

I don't know of such a guide -- sorry. My own guides (link below) are
targeted at Sony Ericsson phones, but still might be of some help, since the
basic concepts are the same.

The usual problem when sending email from a cell phone with SMTP capability is
the outgoing SMTP server. Thanks to spammers, outgoing SMTP servers now
generally require some form of authentication when you're off-network. You
should be able to find out what kind(s) of authentication are supported by
contacting the email provider. Finding out what your cell phone supports may
be a bigger challenge -- documentation is often woefully inadequate in this
area.

If the email provider supports "POP3 before SMTP" authentication, then you
need to find a way to have the phone do a POP3 check or download before
sending mail.

Some phones (e.g., Sony Ericsson Z600) now have built-in ASMTP (Authenticated
SMTP -- different from POP3 before SMTP) support. For this to work, you
usually need to configure a valid mailbox id and password in the cell phone
for that service provider.

If all else fails (and you're willing to put up with a Cingular ad being
tacked on to the end of your outgoing messages), you can use
photo.mycingular.com as an outgoing SMTP server. Since you're authenticated
by being on-network, no further authentication is required.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:36:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>Hi John, I remember you from the old FIDOnet days.

How old of "Old FIDONet Days"?

I was node 7.

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
!