Make Use of Media Works for Internet Access from PDA/Lapto..

Please help me to make use of my Cingular Media Works from my T720
mobile phone with a PDA/laptop. I got few postings from google and
still had no clue on how to access the internet with my
E115/PCG-FXA48+T720+data cable (CF&USB).

Currently, I use the "browse" feature of the T720 to browse the
internet. Going to other WAP sites results in "502:Bad Gateway". I
used to be able to dial in my ISP (LAFN.ORG) with my T720/PDA/laptop(
under Wireless Internet plan) but not any more (no dial tone under
Media Works plan!!!).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards.
Cingular User in Los Angeles
8 answers Last reply
More about make media works internet access lapto

    Someone else gave me these settings that work with MediaWorks (posted in an
    ealier message in this group). These setting worked for his Nokia phone and
    my Siemens phone. Also, when I ordered MediaWorks, Cingular actually forgot
    to turn it on for me so these settings did not work until I called them.
    Here ya' go:

    For the WAP browser in the phone:
    Homepage: http://device.home
    Proxies: Enabled
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
    Authentication Type: Secure
    Login type: automatic
    User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
    Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)

    For Laptop/PDA connection:
    In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
    In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
    is connected to
    In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1

    --

    "Van" <ay501@lafn.org> wrote in message
    > Please help me to make use of my Cingular Media Works from my T720
    > mobile phone with a PDA/laptop. I got few postings from google and
    > still had no clue on how to access the internet with my
    > E115/PCG-FXA48+T720+data cable (CF&USB).
    >
    > Currently, I use the "browse" feature of the T720 to browse the
    > internet. Going to other WAP sites results in "502:Bad Gateway". I
    > used to be able to dial in my ISP (LAFN.ORG) with my T720/PDA/laptop(
    > under Wireless Internet plan) but not any more (no dial tone under
    > Media Works plan!!!).
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and regards.
    > Cingular User in Los Angeles

    Thanks! It works!
    :-)
    "Jim B." <nospamforjim@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Xagyc.8725$eu.1057@attbi_s02>...
    > Someone else gave me these settings that work with MediaWorks (posted in an
    > ealier message in this group). These setting worked for his Nokia phone and
    > my Siemens phone. Also, when I ordered MediaWorks, Cingular actually forgot
    > to turn it on for me so these settings did not work until I called them.
    > Here ya' go:
    >
    > For the WAP browser in the phone:
    > Homepage: http://device.home
    > Proxies: Enabled
    > Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
    > Data Bearer: GPRS
    > Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
    > Authentication Type: Secure
    > Login type: automatic
    > User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (use CAPS)
    > Password: CINGULAR1 (use CAPS)
    >

    > For Laptop/PDA connection:
    > In the phone set the Access Point(AP): wap.cingular
    > In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to dial *99# on the serial your phone
    > is connected to
    > In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the usnername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    > In the Laptop/PDA set your Dialer to use the password: CINGULAR1
    >

    > --
    >
    > "Van" <ay501@lafn.org> wrote in message
    > > Please help me to make use of my Cingular Media Works from my T720
    > > mobile phone with a PDA/laptop. I got few postings from google and
    > > still had no clue on how to access the internet with my
    > > E115/PCG-FXA48+T720+data cable (CF&USB).
    > >
    > > Currently, I use the "browse" feature of the T720 to browse the
    > > internet. Going to other WAP sites results in "502:Bad Gateway". I
    > > used to be able to dial in my ISP (LAFN.ORG) with my T720/PDA/laptop(
    > > under Wireless Internet plan) but not any more (no dial tone under
    > > Media Works plan!!!).
    > >
    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks and regards.
    > > Cingular User in Los Angeles

    I have used the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password CINGULAR1, and
    dial number of *99# to successfully connect my laptop to the internet
    via my Cingular cell phone.

    I can surf the web, send email, use IM. But, I cannot -send- email.
    Is there a Cingular SMTP server I should specify in my email account
    setup? Cingular customer service says this can't be done!

    --
    twestley
    http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t124504.html

    In article <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
    twestley <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

    > I have used the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password CINGULAR1, and
    > dial number of *99# to successfully connect my laptop to the internet
    > via my Cingular cell phone.
    >
    > I can surf the web, send email, use IM. But, I cannot -send- email.
    > Is there a Cingular SMTP server I should specify in my email account
    > setup? Cingular customer service says this can't be done!

    mycingular.com

    In <rmarkoff-843F3E.16171227072004@news2.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 27 Jul
    2004 21:17:13 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
    > twestley <twestley.1a2ja4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I have used the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password CINGULAR1, and
    >> dial number of *99# to successfully connect my laptop to the internet
    >> via my Cingular cell phone.
    >>
    >> I can surf the web, send email, use IM. But, I cannot -send- email.
    >> Is there a Cingular SMTP server I should specify in my email account
    >> setup? Cingular customer service says this can't be done!

    photo.mycingular.com (if you're willing to put up with a Cingular ad being
    tacked on to the end of your outgoing messages).

    >mycingular.com

    Wrong again. Doesn't exist.

    > Wrong again. Doesn't exist.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    Hi John, I remember you from the old FIDOnet days. Is there an online guide
    somewhere that would take me step by step through the email setup for a
    Motorola v600 using Cingular? I've Googled but can't seem to find what I'm
    looking for. I can send to and read email on the phone, but I can't
    send -from- the phone.

    TIA,
    Barry

    In <Zb-dncB6uYRqYZXcRVn-qg@comcast.com> on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:34:49 -0400,
    "Barry Delfino" <bdelfino@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Hi John, I remember you from the old FIDOnet days.

    Wow -- so long ago -- cool. :)

    >Is there an online guide
    >somewhere that would take me step by step through the email setup for a
    >Motorola v600 using Cingular? I've Googled but can't seem to find what I'm
    >looking for. I can send to and read email on the phone, but I can't
    >send -from- the phone.

    I don't know of such a guide -- sorry. My own guides (link below) are
    targeted at Sony Ericsson phones, but still might be of some help, since the
    basic concepts are the same.

    The usual problem when sending email from a cell phone with SMTP capability is
    the outgoing SMTP server. Thanks to spammers, outgoing SMTP servers now
    generally require some form of authentication when you're off-network. You
    should be able to find out what kind(s) of authentication are supported by
    contacting the email provider. Finding out what your cell phone supports may
    be a bigger challenge -- documentation is often woefully inadequate in this
    area.

    If the email provider supports "POP3 before SMTP" authentication, then you
    need to find a way to have the phone do a POP3 check or download before
    sending mail.

    Some phones (e.g., Sony Ericsson Z600) now have built-in ASMTP (Authenticated
    SMTP -- different from POP3 before SMTP) support. For this to work, you
    usually need to configure a valid mailbox id and password in the cell phone
    for that service provider.

    If all else fails (and you're willing to put up with a Cingular ad being
    tacked on to the end of your outgoing messages), you can use
    photo.mycingular.com as an outgoing SMTP server. Since you're authenticated
    by being on-network, no further authentication is required.

    >Hi John, I remember you from the old FIDOnet days.

    How old of "Old FIDONet Days"?

    I was node 7.

    --
    John S.