Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 install both 32 64

Last response: in Windows 7
October 27, 2009 4:24:17 PM

Windows 7 ships in both 32 and 64 bit when you buy one. If you install BOTH versions on the SAME pc (but on separate partitions, of course), will you be able to get both installations VALIDATED by Microsoft??? Anybody tried yet?

More about : windows install

a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 4:32:45 PM

Theoretically, yes... since it's the same computer.

But... Why would you want to do that? Win 7 x64 runs 32 bit code just fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 4:36:23 PM

A software developer might want to test programs under both 32- and 64-bit versions of the OS. In fact any decent software developer certainly would want to do that.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 4:41:36 PM

Absolutely true. :)  I asked, though, because it's seldom we have developers here, and because a (professional) Dev would more than likely obtain same though work or via MSDN subscription. Under those conditions, the licencing is irrelevant from a user standpoint: Either the company paid for it, or it's included in yoru subscription and you can use however many you need.
m
l
October 28, 2009 8:29:53 AM

Scotteq said:
Theoretically, yes... since it's the same computer.

But... Why would you want to do that? Win 7 x64 runs 32 bit code just fine.

Because not all sw and hw will run on x64
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 8:41:57 AM

Scotteq said:
Absolutely true. :)  I asked, though, because it's seldom we have developers here, and because a (professional) Dev would more than likely obtain same though work or via MSDN subscription. Under those conditions, the licencing is irrelevant from a user standpoint: Either the company paid for it, or it's included in yoru subscription and you can use however many you need.

Not all developers are professionals who subscribe to MSDN. I do a little programming, but not so much that I could justify the expense of an MSDN subscription. I've got lots of OSs installed on a few PCs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 9:21:12 AM

fupekatt said:
Windows 7 ships in both 32 and 64 bit when you buy one. If you install BOTH versions on the SAME pc (but on separate partitions, of course), will you be able to get both installations VALIDATED by Microsoft??? Anybody tried yet?

Just to put a different spin on things: If you're referring to the retail box that ships with both 32 and 64bit discs, then no, you only get one product key and can only validate one of the two. If you buy them separately, like the OEM version, you should get a product key for each.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 10:32:00 AM

fupekatt said:
Because not all sw and hw will run on x64

All 32 bit software will run on x64 right now - the exception is something that needs 32 bit drivers or that has a 16 bit installer. Those are getting more and more rare, so honestly, I'd just go with the pure x64.
m
l
October 28, 2009 11:21:19 AM

None of these responses relate directly to my initial question, though;

If you install BOTH versions (x32 and x64) on the SAME pc (but on separate partitions, of course), will you be able to get both installations VALIDATED by Microsoft???
Anybody tried yet?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 11:32:49 AM

See my post. How does that not answer your question?
m
l
October 28, 2009 12:11:48 PM

Herr_Koos said:
See my post. How does that not answer your question?

Sorry, I overlooked it :sleep: 
Your reply perfectly answers my question.
(But - can we be 100% sure on this? Cause, you CAN reformat a drive and re-activate, can't you?)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 12:17:29 PM

According to Microsoft you can activate both versions, but only one at a time. So you can't do what you want, but if you make the wrong decision you can always change your mind later.
m
l
October 28, 2009 12:21:20 PM

Clarifying, thanks all.
m
l
!