No internet connection after installing SP2 using Microsof..

I utilize a Microsoft Broadband router and wireless card to connect a Windows
Me desktop (ethernet) and a Windows XP laptop (wireless card). I updated the
Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, which indicated it had a known conflict
with XP SP2. I then upgraded the laptop to SP2. After update, I continue to
get an "invalid security key" message (128 bit). I have entered the 26
character security key, but the box to do so in the Broadband network utility
appears to have only 25 spaces. I'm guessing this is why I continue to get
the invalid security key message (but maybe not). After removing SP2, my
connection comes back. Someone suggested that I remove the BNU from the
laptop and let XP manage the connection, but I don't know if this will work,
as I still need the BNU on the Windows Me machine. Any ideas? Doesn't it
seem that Microsoft would make sure SP2 works with its own hardware and
software (one of the reasons I purchased the Microsoft solution rather than
Linksys, etc.)?
Thank you.

Hi,
After installing WinXP SP2 you could try to configure the card manually
without BNU.
To do so goto Control Panel >Network Connection >Wireless network
connection(WNC) properties >Wireless networks tab> Remove all the preferred
networks> hit Ok.
Right click on WNC and select View availablw networks> select your
network> hit Connect (if it says Diconnect already then hit disconnect and
then you will see Connet)>When it ask for WEP type in the WEP Keys(26
digits). it will says Acquiring n/w address and it should get connected.

If it still says "No or limited connectivity" then the quickest way to
resolve this issue is manually reinstall the driver for the card. To do so
insert the MS Broadband CD and close the setup wizrd if it pop-up. Got to
device manager then uninstall the card. Unplug and replug the card. Windows
will detect the card and install the driver automatically from the CD. Then
configure the adapter manually again as mention above

Jose

"frustrated novice" wrote:

> I utilize a Microsoft Broadband router and wireless card to connect a Windows
> Me desktop (ethernet) and a Windows XP laptop (wireless card). I updated the
> Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, which indicated it had a known conflict
> with XP SP2. I then upgraded the laptop to SP2. After update, I continue to
> get an "invalid security key" message (128 bit). I have entered the 26
> character security key, but the box to do so in the Broadband network utility
> appears to have only 25 spaces. I'm guessing this is why I continue to get
> the invalid security key message (but maybe not). After removing SP2, my
> connection comes back. Someone suggested that I remove the BNU from the
> laptop and let XP manage the connection, but I don't know if this will work,
> as I still need the BNU on the Windows Me machine. Any ideas? Doesn't it
> seem that Microsoft would make sure SP2 works with its own hardware and
> software (one of the reasons I purchased the Microsoft solution rather than
> Linksys, etc.)?
> Thank you.

An update to Microsoft Broadband Networking is availible that adds
compatibility for Microsoft Windows XP SP2. The download and more
information can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx.

newsgroup purposes only.
"frustrated novice" <frustrated novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B4D5A814-CF2A-4F27-803C-621431A62A96@microsoft.com...
>I utilize a Microsoft Broadband router and wireless card to connect a
>Windows
> Me desktop (ethernet) and a Windows XP laptop (wireless card). I updated
> the
> Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, which indicated it had a known
> conflict
> with XP SP2. I then upgraded the laptop to SP2. After update, I continue
> get an "invalid security key" message (128 bit). I have entered the 26
> character security key, but the box to do so in the Broadband network
> utility
> appears to have only 25 spaces. I'm guessing this is why I continue to
> get
> the invalid security key message (but maybe not). After removing SP2, my
> connection comes back. Someone suggested that I remove the BNU from the
> laptop and let XP manage the connection, but I don't know if this will
> work,
> as I still need the BNU on the Windows Me machine. Any ideas? Doesn't it
> seem that Microsoft would make sure SP2 works with its own hardware and
> software (one of the reasons I purchased the Microsoft solution rather
> than
> Linksys, etc.)?
> Thank you.

Thank you for taking time to respond. I had already read and downloaded the
software from that link. I have checked for additonal updates using the
update function of the BNU and it says I am current.