Software for Sony MiniDV HC40

I have a Sony mini HandyCam DCR-HC40. I have had no success using the "Picture
Package" software (except for downloading stills) that comes with the camera.
Everytime I try to load from the video tape it bombs out my PC. Also, for some
reason the software always seems to be running in the background when I am
using my PC, even when I have not opened it. This has impacted the performance
of my PC.
I would like to delete the software and load some other program that will allow
me to simply load video/audio from the camera to my PC and /or CD Writer. I am
looking for inexpensive software with not alot of editing features and video
production capability.

Any recommendations?

Thx,

Geneload
1 answer Last reply
More about software sony minidv hc40

    Bombs out on your PC how exactly? Right away, after a about 10 minutes or
    so?

    Video capture files will use up a gig of HD space for about every 6 min of
    footage. An hours worth will end up as about a 13gig file. Unless you have
    your drive formated in NTFS format, you cannot capture a file bigger than
    4Gig.

    There are many choices for editing.
    Here is one page that lists features and prices for a number of entry level
    products
    http://www.video-editing-software-review.com/

    Microsoft Movie maker is free and they offer tutorials. Perhaps a good place
    as any to start as its easy on the wallet.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx

    I'm assuming your using a firewire connection for the capture.
    "Caps990" <caps990@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Sony mini HandyCam DCR-HC40. I have had no success using the
    "Picture
    > Package" software (except for downloading stills) that comes with the
    camera.
    > Everytime I try to load from the video tape it bombs out my PC. Also, for
    some
    > reason the software always seems to be running in the background when I am
    > using my PC, even when I have not opened it. This has impacted the
    performance
    > of my PC.
    > I would like to delete the software and load some other program that will
    allow
    > me to simply load video/audio from the camera to my PC and /or CD Writer.
    I am
    > looking for inexpensive software with not alot of editing features and
    video
    > production capability.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Geneload

Tuner Cards Sony Video Software Graphics