Software for Sony MiniDV HC40

I have a Sony mini HandyCam DCR-HC40. I have had no success using the "Picture
Package" software (except for downloading stills) that comes with the camera.
Everytime I try to load from the video tape it bombs out my PC. Also, for some
reason the software always seems to be running in the background when I am
using my PC, even when I have not opened it. This has impacted the performance
of my PC.
I would like to delete the software and load some other program that will allow
me to simply load video/audio from the camera to my PC and /or CD Writer. I am
looking for inexpensive software with not alot of editing features and video
production capability.

Any recommendations?

Thx,

Geneload

rs

Bombs out on your PC how exactly? Right away, after a about 10 minutes or
so?

Video capture files will use up a gig of HD space for about every 6 min of
footage. An hours worth will end up as about a 13gig file. Unless you have
your drive formated in NTFS format, you cannot capture a file bigger than
4Gig.

There are many choices for editing.
Here is one page that lists features and prices for a number of entry level
products
http://www.video-editing-software-review.com/

Microsoft Movie maker is free and they offer tutorials. Perhaps a good place
as any to start as its easy on the wallet.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx

I'm assuming your using a firewire connection for the capture.