Remote Desktop crashing when logging in...

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I cannot log on to my work computer via Remote Desktop from my home computer. The following is what I know:
- I get the login screen, enter my username and password and after I press enter the screen freezes for about 30 seconds before the program closes.
- I can Remote from another computer within my company's network to my work computer with no problems
- I can Remote to other computers within my company's network from my home comptuer with no problems
- Event viewer from my work computer shows the following error: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (A socket was attempted to an unreachable host.). Group Policy processing aborted" "Event ID: 1054"
- There is passage through my company's firewall or I wouldn't get the login screen
- Other outside computers, besides my home computer, also cannot Remote to my work computer (same issue occurs).
- My work computer is a compaq desktop running Windows XP Pro.
- Some fixes I have heard of include updating video drivers, check DNS settings & running netdiag.exe (ran this @ cmd, does not recognize)

Anyone have any suggestions or known fixes?

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

See my response to your other posting.

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:37:01 -0700, "Jake"
<Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I cannot log on to my work computer via Remote Desktop from my home computer. The following is what I know:
>- I get the login screen, enter my username and password and after I press enter the screen freezes for about 30 seconds before the program closes.
>- I can Remote from another computer within my company's network to my work computer with no problems
>- I can Remote to other computers within my company's network from my home comptuer with no problems
>- Event viewer from my work computer shows the following error: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (A socket was attempted to an unreachable host.). Group Policy processing aborted" "Event ID: 1054"
>- There is passage through my company's firewall or I wouldn't get the login screen
>- Other outside computers, besides my home computer, also cannot Remote to my work computer (same issue occurs).
>- My work computer is a compaq desktop running Windows XP Pro.
>- Some fixes I have heard of include updating video drivers, check DNS settings & running netdiag.exe (ran this @ cmd, does not recognize)
>
>Anyone have any suggestions or known fixes?