  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2004 4:18:21 AM

Hi

We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the best
so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
known......

Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.

Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our best
videos from the DVD's.

TIA
Don

More about : jpeg dvd

October 23, 2004 4:18:22 AM

Yes! CyberLink's PowerDVD does that and does it well. www.gocyberlink.com
It copies the image to the clipboard and you can save it to your hard drive
and print from there.

Cory

"D & J G" <donandjane@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
> with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the
best
> so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
> known......
>
> Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
> or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.
>
> Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
> frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our
best
> videos from the DVD's.
>
> TIA
> Don

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 4:18:22 AM

>Hi
>
>We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
>with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the best
>so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
>known......
>
>Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
>or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.
>
>Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
>frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our best
>videos from the DVD's.
>
>TIA
>Don

To my knowledge, ALL software DVD players have a frame grab function. I use
WinDVD. Since you are capturing interlaced video, you're going to want to load
the captures into an image processing program such as Photoshop for additional
processing.

Do not expect good results. Anything larger than a 2x3 inch print is going to
be fuzzy, no matter what you do. But a capture from a really good looking video
frame might make a satisfactory 4x5 inch print.

Good luck.

webpa
October 23, 2004 5:06:34 AM

"D & J G" <donandjane@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
> with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the
> best so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
> known......
>
> Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
> or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.
>
> Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
> frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our
> best videos from the DVD's.
>
> TIA
> Don
Duh and double Duh!!! Why didn't I think of this before??

Play the DVD on the domestic player and re-record back to VHS. Then play
the VHS back into capture software.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 5:06:35 AM

> "D & J G" <donandjane@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
>> with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the
>> best so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
>> known......
>>
>> Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used
>> again or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be
>> played.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a
>> paused frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints
>> of our best videos from the DVD's.
>>
>> TIA
>> Don
> Duh and double Duh!!! Why didn't I think of this before??
>
> Play the DVD on the domestic player and re-record back to VHS. Then play
> the VHS back into capture software.

No, no, no. Most software DVD players have a feature that enables you to
pause at any frame and take a snapshot of that frame, preferably a frame
with little movement.
!