JPEG from DVD?

Hi

We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the best
so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
known......

Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.

Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our best
videos from the DVD's.

TIA
Don
4 answers Last reply
More about jpeg

    Yes! CyberLink's PowerDVD does that and does it well. www.gocyberlink.com
    It copies the image to the clipboard and you can save it to your hard drive
    and print from there.

    Cory

    "D & J G" <donandjane@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
    > with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the
    best
    > so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
    > known......
    >
    > Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
    > or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
    > frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our
    best
    > videos from the DVD's.
    >
    > TIA
    > Don

    >Hi
    >
    >We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
    >with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the best
    >so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
    >known......
    >
    >Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
    >or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
    >frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our best
    >videos from the DVD's.
    >
    >TIA
    >Don

    To my knowledge, ALL software DVD players have a frame grab function. I use
    WinDVD. Since you are capturing interlaced video, you're going to want to load
    the captures into an image processing program such as Photoshop for additional
    processing.

    Do not expect good results. Anything larger than a 2x3 inch print is going to
    be fuzzy, no matter what you do. But a capture from a really good looking video
    frame might make a satisfactory 4x5 inch print.

    Good luck.

    webpa

    "D & J G" <donandjane@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
    > with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the
    > best so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
    > known......
    >
    > Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used again
    > or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be played.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a paused
    > frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints of our
    > best videos from the DVD's.
    >
    > TIA
    > Don
    Duh and double Duh!!! Why didn't I think of this before??

    Play the DVD on the domestic player and re-record back to VHS. Then play
    the VHS back into capture software.

    > "D & J G" <donandjane@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> We've transferred many of our home videos of the kids growing up onto DVD
    >> with varying levels of success. Win Producer ended up being about the
    >> best so far and we could have saved jpeg's from VHS pauses then, had we
    >> known......
    >>
    >> Problem is that many of the original VHS tapes have either been used
    >> again or have deteriorated (storage mold) so far that they can't be
    >> played.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a software DVD player with which you can save a
    >> paused frame to disk for photo printing? We'd like to make some prints
    >> of our best videos from the DVD's.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Don
    > Duh and double Duh!!! Why didn't I think of this before??
    >
    > Play the DVD on the domestic player and re-record back to VHS. Then play
    > the VHS back into capture software.

    No, no, no. Most software DVD players have a feature that enables you to
    pause at any frame and take a snapshot of that frame, preferably a frame
    with little movement.

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics