Cannonball

I have XP-Home on both computers. The remote is at home.
It uses a cable modem (comcast). The client is at a
summer home. It uses a 56K modem.
I followed the wizard for setting up the remote, noting
the IP address of that machine and the gateway etc.

I left the cable connected, went to the summer home.
Connected the Modem (Netzero) and once again went to
accessories/communications/remote desktop connection.

The first connect attempt used the coloquiel name of the
computer; it returned . . . "specific remote computer
can't be found . . . "; The second time I used the IP
address of the remote computer and got . . . "Client
could not be found. Remote connections may not be
enabled . . . "

I have researched the procedure extensively and cannot
see anything wrong. Anyone know what's wrong??

Many thanks,
cannonball

XP Home can only act as a Remote Desktop client, not a host. So your choice is to upgrade to XP Pro
or use another alternative. One free alternative is UltraVNC used with its encryption plug-in. Get
the server, client and encryption plug-in from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"cannonball" <cannonball0@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have XP-Home on both computers. The remote is at home.
> It uses a cable modem (comcast). The client is at a
> summer home. It uses a 56K modem.
> I followed the wizard for setting up the remote, noting
> the IP address of that machine and the gateway etc.
>
> I left the cable connected, went to the summer home.
> Connected the Modem (Netzero) and once again went to
> accessories/communications/remote desktop connection.
>
> The first connect attempt used the coloquiel name of the
> computer; it returned . . . "specific remote computer
> can't be found . . . "; The second time I used the IP
> address of the remote computer and got . . . "Client
> could not be found. Remote connections may not be
> enabled . . . "
>
> I have researched the procedure extensively and cannot
> see anything wrong. Anyone know what's wrong??
>
> Many thanks,
> cannonball

---

Cannonball

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"cannonball" <cannonball0@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have XP-Home on both computers. The remote is at home.
>> It uses a cable modem (comcast). The client is at a
>> summer home. It uses a 56K modem.
>> I followed the wizard for setting up the remote, noting
>> the IP address of that machine and the gateway etc.
>>
>> I left the cable connected, went to the summer home.
>> Connected the Modem (Netzero) and once again went to
>> accessories/communications/remote desktop connection.
>>
>> The first connect attempt used the coloquiel name of
the
>> computer; it returned . . . "specific remote computer
>> can't be found . . . "; The second time I used the IP
>> address of the remote computer and got . . . "Client
>> could not be found. Remote connections may not be
>> enabled . . . "
>>
>> I have researched the procedure extensively and cannot
>> see anything wrong. Anyone know what's wrong??
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> cannonball
>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
6/25/2004

>.
>Al,
Thanks for the swift response. Unfortunately, the MS
documentation does not appear to make a distinction
between Home and Professional. I am working at my summer
home now, I will follow your advise and install the
client now; and the server when I get home. Then I'll
give it a whirl next week. Thanks once again for you
quick and comprehensive feedback.

cannonball