Remote Web Workplace - Help please

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace, and I
hope someone can help me out. The problem is:

If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
- I can connect to any computer on my network
If I access through https://localhost/remote
- I can connect to any computer on my network
If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
- I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything works
fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
following message:

"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The
most likely causes for this error are:
a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
computer.
c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the connection.
d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
firewall. "
Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look anymore....

Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Pedro,

Make sure that TCP Port 4125 is open/forwarded back to the SBS server from
your router/firewall. Remote Web Workplace uses TCP port 443 to connect to
the site using SSL and then from the external client to the server uses TCP
port 4125, then from the server to the internal client is TCP port 3389.

--

Hope that helps,
David Copeland

Newsgroups:
SBS v4.x : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

"PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote in message
> Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace, and I
> hope someone can help me out. The problem is:
>
> If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
> - I can connect to any computer on my network
> If I access through https://localhost/remote
> - I can connect to any computer on my network
> If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
> - I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything works
> fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
> following message:
>
> "The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The
> most likely causes for this error are:
> a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
> computer.
> c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the
> connection.
> d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
> firewall. "
> Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look anymore....
>
> Thanks in advance

You won't be able to connect to any computers behind a firewall
without establishing a VPN...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:45:29 +0100, "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote:

>Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace, and I
>hope someone can help me out. The problem is:
>
>If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
> - I can connect to any computer on my network
>If I access through https://localhost/remote
> - I can connect to any computer on my network
>If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
> - I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything works
>fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
>following message:
>
>"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The
>most likely causes for this error are:
> a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
>computer.
> c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the connection.
> d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
>firewall. "
>Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look anymore....
>
>Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

I already have port 4125 opened on my ISA server, David.

"David Copeland [MSFT]" <davidcop@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Pedro,
>
> Make sure that TCP Port 4125 is open/forwarded back to the SBS server from
> your router/firewall. Remote Web Workplace uses TCP port 443 to connect
> the site using SSL and then from the external client to the server uses
TCP
> port 4125, then from the server to the internal client is TCP port 3389.
>

> --
>
> Hope that helps,
> David Copeland
> Microsoft Small Business Server Support

rights.

> Newsgroups:
> SBS v4.x : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
> SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
> SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>

> "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote in message
> > Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace, and
> > hope someone can help me out. The problem is:
> >
> > If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
> > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> > If I access through https://localhost/remote
> > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> > If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
> > - I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything works
> > fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
> > following message:
> >
> > "The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The
> > most likely causes for this error are:
> > a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> > b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
> > computer.
> > c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the
> > connection.
> > d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
> > firewall. "
> > Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look anymore....
> >
> > Thanks in advance

I have to establish a VPN first????

Are you sure of this? I believe that the whole purpose of the Remote Web
Workplace thing, is to make thing's easy just using an HTTP connection to
your company...

If I need a VPN for Remote Web Workplace to work, then why does Terminal
services work without one?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:0vf1e09h7kmforicpi98f4tv3u9ee03r8g@4ax.com...
> You won't be able to connect to any computers behind a firewall
> without establishing a VPN...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:45:29 +0100, "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote:
>
> >Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace, and
> >hope someone can help me out. The problem is:
> >
> >If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
> > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> >If I access through https://localhost/remote
> > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> >If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
> > - I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything works
> >fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
> >following message:
> >
> >"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The
> >most likely causes for this error are:
> > a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> > b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
> >computer.
> > c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the
connection.
> > d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
> >firewall. "
> >Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look anymore....
> >
> >Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

What is it with almost everybody, that they seem to forget that RWW is
working with 444!

443 is for OWA, RWW needs 444 and 4125 forwarded from the router to the
external nic-IP.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> schreef in bericht
> I already have port 4125 opened on my ISA server, David.
>
> "David Copeland [MSFT]" <davidcop@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Pedro,
> >
> > Make sure that TCP Port 4125 is open/forwarded back to the SBS server
from
> > your router/firewall. Remote Web Workplace uses TCP port 443 to connect
> > the site using SSL and then from the external client to the server uses
> TCP
> > port 4125, then from the server to the internal client is TCP port 3389.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> > David Copeland
> > Microsoft Small Business Server Support

> rights.
> >
> > Newsgroups:
> > SBS v4.x : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
> > SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
> > SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
> >

> > "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote in message
> > > Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace,
and
> > > hope someone can help me out. The problem is:
> > >
> > > If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
> > > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> > > If I access through https://localhost/remote
> > > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> > > If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
> > > - I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything
works
> > > fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > "The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
The
> > > most likely causes for this error are:
> > > a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> > > b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
> > > computer.
> > > c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the
> > > connection.
> > > d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
> > > firewall. "
> > > Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look
anymore....

> > > Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Only if you want Companyweb (Sharepoint) available to external users do you
need 444.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <marina@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in message
> What is it with almost everybody, that they seem to forget that RWW is
> working with 444!
>
> 443 is for OWA, RWW needs 444 and 4125 forwarded from the router to the
> external nic-IP.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Marina
> Microsoft SBS-MVP
>
> "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> schreef in bericht
> > I already have port 4125 opened on my ISA server, David.
> >
> > "David Copeland [MSFT]" <davidcop@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Pedro,
> > >
> > > Make sure that TCP Port 4125 is open/forwarded back to the SBS server
> from
> > > your router/firewall. Remote Web Workplace uses TCP port 443 to
connect
> > > the site using SSL and then from the external client to the server
uses
> > TCP
> > > port 4125, then from the server to the internal client is TCP port
3389.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Hope that helps,
> > > David Copeland
> > > Microsoft Small Business Server Support

> > rights.
> > >
> > > Newsgroups:
> > > SBS v4.x : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
> > > SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
> > > SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
> > >

> > > "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote in message
> and

> works

> The
> anymore....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Anymore ideas, as where I can look for the problem? I'm running out of
ideas...

My router forwards all ports to my ISA server.
On my ISA server I created a protocol rule allowing both Inbound and
Outbound port 4125 to my internal server. And still nothing... When I press
"connect" the same stupid error apears... :(

Thank's for all your help so far... Hope you can help me figure this out...

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> Only if you want Companyweb (Sharepoint) available to external users do
you
> need 444.
>
> --
> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> -------------------------------------
> SBS Rocks !
>

> "Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <marina@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in
message
> > What is it with almost everybody, that they seem to forget that RWW is
> > working with 444!
> >
> > 443 is for OWA, RWW needs 444 and 4125 forwarded from the router to the
> > external nic-IP.
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Marina
> > Microsoft SBS-MVP
> >
> > "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> schreef in bericht
> > > I already have port 4125 opened on my ISA server, David.
> > >
> > > "David Copeland [MSFT]" <davidcop@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

> > from
> connect
> uses
> > > TCP
> 3389.

> > > rights.

Workplace,
> > and

> > works

> > The
> remote
> > anymore....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Pedro,

Here's something you could try to verify that port 4125 is open to your
server.. basically going to configure an SMTP virtual server to listen on
port 4125 and try to connect.

1) Go into Start/Server Management/Advanced Management/First Organization
(Exchange)/Servers/servername/Protocols/SMTP right click on SMTP and
select New/SMTP virtual server.
2) Give it a name of something like test1
3) For the IP address just leave it at all unassigned and click the Finish
button. Click Yes to the prompt asking if you are sure you want to use that
address.
4) Right click on the new SMTP virtual server created in step2 and select
Properties and click the Advanced button to the right of the IP Address
field.
5) Click the Edit button then change the port from 25 to 4125 then click the
OK button (3 times to get all the way back out)
6) Right click on the new SMTP virtual server and select Start

If it is able to successfully start, then from a remote machine try
telneting to your server on port 4125.. using the following command

telnet x.x.x.x 4125

where x.x.x.x is the IP address used to reach the external side of the
server.

You should get back an Exchange banner.. If you do then it appears that
the port is open to the server.. and we may need to look more specifically
at remote web workplace.. if you are not able to connect, then it could be
an indication that the port isn't open.. as another test you may want to
verify it works from an internal client.

Be sure to go back and delete the test1 SMTP virtual server after your test.

Another option you may want to do if you have a remote XP client is to
install the support tools from the XP cd.. and then use netcap to get a
network trace attempting to connect.. from that we may be able to see if
it's making the connection or not to the server.. and/or possible tell if a
router/firewall is blocking the port (based on an ICMP error response)

--

Newsgroups:

> Anymore ideas, as where I can look for the problem? I'm running out of
> ideas...
>
> My router forwards all ports to my ISA server.
> On my ISA server I created a protocol rule allowing both Inbound and
> Outbound port 4125 to my internal server. And still nothing... When I
> press
> "connect" the same stupid error apears... :(
>
> Thank's for all your help so far... Hope you can help me figure this
> out...
>

> "Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
>> Only if you want Companyweb (Sharepoint) available to external users do
> you
>> need 444.
>>
>> --
>> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
>> -------------------------------------
>> SBS Rocks !
>>

>> "Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <marina@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in
> message
>> > What is it with almost everybody, that they seem to forget that RWW is
>> > working with 444!
>> >
>> > 443 is for OWA, RWW needs 444 and 4125 forwarded from the router to the
>> > external nic-IP.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Marina
>> > Microsoft SBS-MVP
>> >
>> > "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> schreef in bericht

> message

> server
>> > from
>> connect
>> uses
>> 3389.

> Workplace,
>> > and

>> > works
> the

> computer.
>> > The
> computer.
>> remote
>> > anymore....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Hi Pedro,

Rerun the CEICW wizard and make sure you make changes to the Firewall part.
Make sure you enable the services you want to be accessible from the
internet.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> schreef in bericht
> Anymore ideas, as where I can look for the problem? I'm running out of
> ideas...
>
> My router forwards all ports to my ISA server.
> On my ISA server I created a protocol rule allowing both Inbound and
> Outbound port 4125 to my internal server. And still nothing... When I
press
> "connect" the same stupid error apears... :(
>
> Thank's for all your help so far... Hope you can help me figure this
out...

> "Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> > Only if you want Companyweb (Sharepoint) available to external users do
> you
> > need 444.
> >
> > --
> > Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> > -------------------------------------
> > SBS Rocks !
> >

> > "Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <marina@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in
> message
> > > What is it with almost everybody, that they seem to forget that RWW is
> > > working with 444!
> > >
> > > 443 is for OWA, RWW needs 444 and 4125 forwarded from the router to
the
> > > external nic-IP.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Marina
> > > Microsoft SBS-MVP
> > >
> > > "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> schreef in bericht

> message

> server
> > > from
> > connect
> > uses
> > 3389.

> Workplace,
> > > and

Everything
> > > works
> the

> computer.
> > > The
> computer.
> > remote
> > > anymore....

Hi Pedro,

I'm having exactly the same problem if I connect via WindowsXP Home, when I use WindowsXP professional I don't have the problem.
Is this also in your case?

Bart

"PG" wrote:

> I have to establish a VPN first????
>
> Are you sure of this? I believe that the whole purpose of the Remote Web
> Workplace thing, is to make thing's easy just using an HTTP connection to
> your company...
>
> If I need a VPN for Remote Web Workplace to work, then why does Terminal
> services work without one?
>

> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
> in message news:0vf1e09h7kmforicpi98f4tv3u9ee03r8g@4ax.com...
> > You won't be able to connect to any computers behind a firewall
> > without establishing a VPN...
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:45:29 +0100, "PG" <Pedro.Gomes@clix.pt> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi everybody, I'm having a little problem with Remote Web Workplace, and
> > >hope someone can help me out. The problem is:
> > >
> > >If I access through https://mypublicdomain/tsweb
> > > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> > >If I access through https://localhost/remote
> > > - I can connect to any computer on my network
> > >If I access through https://mypublicdomain/remote
> > > - I can't connect to any computer on my network! Everything works
> > >fine, until I choose the computer and press connect, then I see the
> > >following message:
> > >
> > >"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The
> > >most likely causes for this error are:
> > > a.. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> > > b.. The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote
> > >computer.
> > > c.. A network error might have occurred while establishing the
> connection.
> > > d.. The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a
> > >firewall. "
> > >Can someone help me out, please? I don't know where to look anymore....
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Hi David, and thanks for the tips...

I've tryied everything you said and here is the results:

I created the Vitrual SMTP server and everything looked ok Internal and
external.

Then I tryed using the netcap and all I could notice was these three
sentences repeating in the capture filein the following order:

CONNECT mydomain.com:443 HTTP/1.0
HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established
HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required ( The ISA Server requires
authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy service is
denied. )

It points to an ISA problem, so I went to my ISA server and forced my
incoming web listener to ask for identification to unauthenticated users,
but it didn't seem to have any effect, it's all still working in the same
way! I access the site, i put a username and password, i choose a computer,
hit connect, and the error appears.... :(

What can I be doing wrong here?

Could have anything to do with the fact that my ISA server is in a different
box from my SBS server? I'm not using the ISA server that is on the SBS box,
but it's still there, just sitting aroung... and I've got everything else
working fine this way, OWA, TSWEB, WWW, Mail...

The layout for the RWW scheme is:

Router --- ISA Box --- SBS Box(RWW)

I want to take the chance, and thank everybody for trying to help me sort
this out...

Thank you very much...

> [...]
> > you
> >> need 444.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> >> -------------------------------------
> >> SBS Rocks !
> >>

> >> "Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <marina@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in
> > message

> > message

> > server
> >> connect
> >> uses
> >> 3389.

> > Workplace,

Everything
> > the

> > computer.
> > computer.
> >> remote

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Can you logon to RWW from the ISA server (make sure that IE on the ISA
server is not configured to use a Proxy server for the test) and then use
the IP address of the SBS server to connect with.. then once logged on to
RWW try to connect to one of the clients or the SBS server itself (if logged
on to RWW as administrator).

Just to be sure.. from a machine out on the Internet you could telnet to the
external IP address of your ISA server on port 4125 and got the SMTP banner
back correct? by way of a server publishing rule???

Would it be possible for you to email me a copy of the netcap taken from an
XP machine on the Internet attempting to connect.. (you would need to remove
the "online." from my address)

--

Newsgroups:

> [...]
>> > "connect" the same stupid error apears... :(
>> >
>> > Thank's for all your help so far... Hope you can help me figure this
>> > out...
>> >

>> > "Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
>> > you

>> > message
> is

> the

>> > message

>> > server
> server
> port

> no

>> > Workplace,

> Everything
>> > the

>> > computer.
>> > computer.
> by

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (More info?)

Hi David,

I did what you asked and it worked perfectly from the ISA box, using the IP
address or using the FQDN of the SBS box, no problem at all....

Yes to the server publishing rule question...

And I'm sending you also an *.txt file with the info you asked to your
e-mail

> [...]
> > test.
> >>
> >> Another option you may want to do if you have a remote XP client is to
> >> install the support tools from the XP cd.. and then use netcap to get a
> >> network trace attempting to connect.. from that we may be able to see
if
> >> it's making the connection or not to the server.. and/or possible tell
if
> >> router/firewall is blocking the port (based on an ICMP error response)
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Hope that helps,
> >> David Copeland
> >> Microsoft Small Business Server Support

> > rights.
> >>
> >> Newsgroups:
> >> SBS v4.x : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
> >> SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
> >> SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

No BartVDA, it's with XP Professional...