RDP Service Not Functional

With XP Pro, no firewall enabled, Terminal Services is apparently not running or listening. When trying to access from an XPP client remotely through the router, or a Win98 RDP client on the LAN, or a Mac OSX client on the LAN, I get the dreaded "The client could not connect to the remote computer" error message with "Either remote connections are not enabled...." description.

Here's some more information:
o Doing a "netstat -ano" I do not see port 3389 in a LISTENING state.

o The listening is set to 3389 in the Registry port under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber". Yes, as 0x00000d3d.

o I see the status of RDPSSW32 in the Services Manager as Started. I do not see other RDP or Termainal Services items.

I'm totally stumped by this one. I would like to reinstall the Terminal Services server portion from my XPP installation disk, but I don't have a clue there either. Please help!

Lost And Clueless,
David
8 answers Last reply
More about service functional

    Try running "sfc /scannow" from the command line.. This will repair
    any corrupted files (if any)...

    Also, try reinstalling Service Pack 1.. Sometimes this is a problem
    if SP1 was not completely installed.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:15:01 -0700, "David"
    <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >With XP Pro, no firewall enabled, Terminal Services is apparently not running or listening. When trying to access from an XPP client remotely through the router, or a Win98 RDP client on the LAN, or a Mac OSX client on the LAN, I get the dreaded "The client could not connect to the remote computer" error message with "Either remote connections are not enabled...." description.
    >
    >Here's some more information:
    >o Doing a "netstat -ano" I do not see port 3389 in a LISTENING state.
    >
    >o The listening is set to 3389 in the Registry port under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber". Yes, as 0x00000d3d.
    >
    >o I see the status of RDPSSW32 in the Services Manager as Started. I do not see other RDP or Termainal Services items.
    >
    >I'm totally stumped by this one. I would like to reinstall the Terminal Services server portion from my XPP installation disk, but I don't have a clue there either. Please help!
    >
    >Lost And Clueless,
    >David

    Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help.

    Also, I cannot telnet to the computer using the information in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;187628

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    David

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Try running "sfc /scannow" from the command line.. This will repair
    > any corrupted files (if any)...
    >
    > Also, try reinstalling Service Pack 1.. Sometimes this is a problem
    > if SP1 was not completely installed.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:15:01 -0700, "David"
    > <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >With XP Pro, no firewall enabled, Terminal Services is apparently not running or listening. When trying to access from an XPP client remotely through the router, or a Win98 RDP client on the LAN, or a Mac OSX client on the LAN, I get the dreaded "The client could not connect to the remote computer" error message with "Either remote connections are not enabled...." description.
    > >
    > >Here's some more information:
    > >o Doing a "netstat -ano" I do not see port 3389 in a LISTENING state.
    > >
    > >o The listening is set to 3389 in the Registry port under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber". Yes, as 0x00000d3d.
    > >
    > >o I see the status of RDPSSW32 in the Services Manager as Started. I do not see other RDP or Termainal Services items.
    > >
    > >I'm totally stumped by this one. I would like to reinstall the Terminal Services server portion from my XPP installation disk, but I don't have a clue there either. Please help!
    > >
    > >Lost And Clueless,
    > >David

    Hi, Jeff,

    Thanks for the sfc suggestion but it didn't work.

    I also tried telnet as described in:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;187628

    Can't connect.

    I installed SP1 ages ago and RDP was working fine. I will try it again, but don't think it will help.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    David

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Try running "sfc /scannow" from the command line.. This will repair
    > any corrupted files (if any)...
    >
    > Also, try reinstalling Service Pack 1.. Sometimes this is a problem
    > if SP1 was not completely installed.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:15:01 -0700, "David"
    > <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >With XP Pro, no firewall enabled, Terminal Services is apparently not running or listening. When trying to access from an XPP client remotely through the router, or a Win98 RDP client on the LAN, or a Mac OSX client on the LAN, I get the dreaded "The client could not connect to the remote computer" error message with "Either remote connections are not enabled...." description.
    > >
    > >Here's some more information:
    > >o Doing a "netstat -ano" I do not see port 3389 in a LISTENING state.
    > >
    > >o The listening is set to 3389 in the Registry port under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber". Yes, as 0x00000d3d.
    > >
    > >o I see the status of RDPSSW32 in the Services Manager as Started. I do not see other RDP or Termainal Services items.
    > >
    > >I'm totally stumped by this one. I would like to reinstall the Terminal Services server portion from my XPP installation disk, but I don't have a clue there either. Please help!
    > >
    > >Lost And Clueless,
    > >David

    If the netstat -ano didn't show TCP Port 3389 listening, then the
    telnet test would definately not work...

    What patch state are you at on the machine (i.e., service pack level)?
    Also, check the event logs to see why Remote Desktop/Terminal Services
    may not be started...

    Also - check your registry - what do you have in
    HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server in
    the fDenyTSConnections key?

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:28:02 -0700, "David"
    <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help.
    >
    >Also, I cannot telnet to the computer using the information in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;187628
    >
    >Any other ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >David
    >

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Try running "sfc /scannow" from the command line.. This will repair
    >> any corrupted files (if any)...
    >>
    >> Also, try reinstalling Service Pack 1.. Sometimes this is a problem
    >> if SP1 was not completely installed.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:15:01 -0700, "David"
    >> <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >With XP Pro, no firewall enabled, Terminal Services is apparently not running or listening. When trying to access from an XPP client remotely through the router, or a Win98 RDP client on the LAN, or a Mac OSX client on the LAN, I get the dreaded "The client could not connect to the remote computer" error message with "Either remote connections are not enabled...." description.
    >> >
    >> >Here's some more information:
    >> >o Doing a "netstat -ano" I do not see port 3389 in a LISTENING state.
    >> >
    >> >o The listening is set to 3389 in the Registry port under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber". Yes, as 0x00000d3d.
    >> >
    >> >o I see the status of RDPSSW32 in the Services Manager as Started. I do not see other RDP or Termainal Services items.
    >> >
    >> >I'm totally stumped by this one. I would like to reinstall the Terminal Services server portion from my XPP installation disk, but I don't have a clue there either. Please help!
    >> >
    >> >Lost And Clueless,
    >> >David

    Hi, Jeffrey,

    Thank you for your assistance. I have my Terminal Services up and running now. Here's what happened:

    I had tried BeTwin Terminal Services - allows more then a single connection to XP. It works great, but I didn't really need it. When it installed, it changed the name of the TermServices service from "Terminal Services" to "BeTwin Terminal Services"

    When I uninstalled BeTwin, apparently it didn't uninstall well and disabled the hardware profile to which it was associated.

    First, I changed the description of the service by doing "sc config TermService DisplayName= "Terminal Services"". That made it look "normal" in the Services console. Then, I went to the Terminal Services properties window from the Services console and went to the Log On tab and Enabled the hardware profile (I only have one profile, so it was a no-brainer). Back on the Logon tab, I started it up and it fired right up.

    Here's some more interesting stuff:

    In a DOS window...
    sc start TermService gave me an error 1058.
    sc query TermService gave me an exit code 1077.

    Regards,
    David

    Actually, I have never heard of that one... I knew of WinConnect XP,
    but not BeTwin.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:37:01 -0700, "David"
    <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi, Jeffrey,
    >
    >Thank you for your assistance. I have my Terminal Services up and running now. Here's what happened:
    >
    >I had tried BeTwin Terminal Services - allows more then a single connection to XP. It works great, but I didn't really need it. When it installed, it changed the name of the TermServices service from "Terminal Services" to "BeTwin Terminal Services"
    >
    >When I uninstalled BeTwin, apparently it didn't uninstall well and disabled the hardware profile to which it was associated.
    >
    >First, I changed the description of the service by doing "sc config TermService DisplayName= "Terminal Services"". That made it look "normal" in the Services console. Then, I went to the Terminal Services properties window from the Services console and went to the Log On tab and Enabled the hardware profile (I only have one profile, so it was a no-brainer). Back on the Logon tab, I started it up and it fired right up.
    >
    >Here's some more interesting stuff:
    >
    >In a DOS window...
    >sc start TermService gave me an error 1058.
    >sc query TermService gave me an exit code 1077.
    >
    >Regards,
    >David

    Sorry about the confusion. It's the same thing. WinConnect XP shows up in the Services app as "BeTwin Terminal Services".

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Actually, I have never heard of that one... I knew of WinConnect XP,
    > but not BeTwin.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:37:01 -0700, "David"
    > <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, Jeffrey,
    > >
    > >Thank you for your assistance. I have my Terminal Services up and running now. Here's what happened:
    > >
    > >I had tried BeTwin Terminal Services - allows more then a single connection to XP. It works great, but I didn't really need it. When it installed, it changed the name of the TermServices service from "Terminal Services" to "BeTwin Terminal Services"
    > >
    > >When I uninstalled BeTwin, apparently it didn't uninstall well and disabled the hardware profile to which it was associated.
    > >
    > >First, I changed the description of the service by doing "sc config TermService DisplayName= "Terminal Services"". That made it look "normal" in the Services console. Then, I went to the Terminal Services properties window from the Services console and went to the Log On tab and Enabled the hardware profile (I only have one profile, so it was a no-brainer). Back on the Logon tab, I started it up and it fired right up.
    > >
    > >Here's some more interesting stuff:
    > >
    > >In a DOS window...
    > >sc start TermService gave me an error 1058.
    > >sc query TermService gave me an exit code 1077.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >David

    OK... :)

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:05:02 -0700, "David"
    <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Sorry about the confusion. It's the same thing. WinConnect XP shows up in the Services app as "BeTwin Terminal Services".
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, I have never heard of that one... I knew of WinConnect XP,
    >> but not BeTwin.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:37:01 -0700, "David"
    >> <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi, Jeffrey,
    >> >
    >> >Thank you for your assistance. I have my Terminal Services up and running now. Here's what happened:
    >> >
    >> >I had tried BeTwin Terminal Services - allows more then a single connection to XP. It works great, but I didn't really need it. When it installed, it changed the name of the TermServices service from "Terminal Services" to "BeTwin Terminal Services"
    >> >
    >> >When I uninstalled BeTwin, apparently it didn't uninstall well and disabled the hardware profile to which it was associated.
    >> >
    >> >First, I changed the description of the service by doing "sc config TermService DisplayName= "Terminal Services"". That made it look "normal" in the Services console. Then, I went to the Terminal Services properties window from the Services console and went to the Log On tab and Enabled the hardware profile (I only have one profile, so it was a no-brainer). Back on the Logon tab, I started it up and it fired right up.
    >> >
    >> >Here's some more interesting stuff:
    >> >
    >> >In a DOS window...
    >> >sc start TermService gave me an error 1058.
    >> >sc query TermService gave me an exit code 1077.
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> >David

Windows XP