Newbie VPN to XP peer-to-peer questions

Greetings,

I have established a VPN connection from an XP client to an XP server on a
peer-to-peer network connected to the internet through a wireless router. I
have successfully established a connection with the server, and even printed
to a printer attached directly to the network, but I can't other workgroup
computers. All machines except the VPN server are dynamically assigned IP
addresses by the router. Is this an inherent limitation of VPN? Am I doing
something wrong? Is there an way to browse the workgroup and see network
resources as if you were attached directly to the network. Sorry for all the
stupid questions, but these answers have been surprisingly difficult to
find.

Thanks!

Steve
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie peer peer questions

    The problem is related to name resolution.. Windows has no way of
    reliably browsing or figuring out how to determine the private IP for
    a particular computer without either a WINS or DNS server, which isn't
    available in XP.

    If you can statically assign IP addresses, you can access these other
    machines by using their IP address (i.e., \\ipaddress\share).

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:22:16 -0700, "Steve Mayman"
    <NewsResponse@ErgoArchitecture.com> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I have established a VPN connection from an XP client to an XP server on a
    >peer-to-peer network connected to the internet through a wireless router. I
    >have successfully established a connection with the server, and even printed
    >to a printer attached directly to the network, but I can't other workgroup
    >computers. All machines except the VPN server are dynamically assigned IP
    >addresses by the router. Is this an inherent limitation of VPN? Am I doing
    >something wrong? Is there an way to browse the workgroup and see network
    >resources as if you were attached directly to the network. Sorry for all the
    >stupid questions, but these answers have been surprisingly difficult to
    >find.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Steve

    Wow, pretty cool. You in speak the truth! When I substituted the local IP
    address for the computer name, it could actually find the resources. I was
    even able to access our intranet web server by entering
    http://ipaddress/webname. Two follow-up questions:

    1) Your response started with "If you can statically assign IP addresses."
    We don't currently. Other than the added maintenance factor, are there any
    disadvantages (or advantages!) to static IP assignment?

    2) How does printer access work?

    Thanks!

    Steve

    You may be able to modify the properties of IP on the incoming connection
    on the VPN host, to give out static IP addresses on the local subnet, but
    outside the range currently given out by whatever address-distribution
    mechanism is currently in place. This may not require any modification to
    your current stuff--just pick numbers high enough to be unlikely to ever by
    used--although it'd be better to check the range in whatever router or DHCP
    mechanism is in place and restrict its range so that the two can never
    conflict.

    If I understand your question 2 correctly, the answer is complicated.

    The VPN connection is a network connection. So--you can do peer-to-peer
    printing or server-centric printing, just as you would on site. Connect to
    the printer, via NET USE LPT1: //servername/printersharename or via
    browsing mechanisms, have the correct driver installed locally, and print.

    However, this forum also supports Remote Desktop, which you may also be
    using, or considering using. RD has a different paradigm for printing. If
    you are sitting at an RD client, connected to an RD host, over a VPN, or
    not, the PORT for your local primary printer is redirected to the host. If
    a driver for that printer is available at the host, the printer will be set
    as the default printer for the RD session, and if you just hit print on an
    app running on the host, the result should print on the local client printer
    near you.

    What can go wrong? Some USB ports are not redirected by default. There's a
    Registry edit to work around this, if necessary:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361

    This edit is done at the client, and the client must be rebooted before it
    takes effect.

    The driver may not be available at the host. If this is the case, there
    will be a log entry in the system event log at the host machine. Install an
    appropriate driver at the host. You can install as though the printer is on
    LPT1 at the host, and you can, after installing, remove the "printer"
    created, but tell the OS to leave the files in place. This will leave the
    driver files available for use when RD sessions connect. Note that if the
    host is a Server OS--Windows 2000 Server, or Windows Server 2003, you need
    to take great care to use signed and certified drivers for that OS.

    So--between Remote Desktop, and VPN, there are two different mechanisms for
    printing--and you can use either or both in the same connection.

    "Steve Mayman" <NewsResponse@ErgoArchitecture.com> wrote in message
    > Wow, pretty cool. You in speak the truth! When I substituted the local IP
    > address for the computer name, it could actually find the resources. I was
    > even able to access our intranet web server by entering
    > http://ipaddress/webname. Two follow-up questions:
    >
    > 1) Your response started with "If you can statically assign IP addresses."
    > We don't currently. Other than the added maintenance factor, are there any
    > disadvantages (or advantages!) to static IP assignment?
    >
    > 2) How does printer access work?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

Windows XP VPN Servers