Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB 2.0 Video Capture Device Recommendations

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 23, 2004 3:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I want to capture VHS videos and bring them to my Laptop to edit and
write to a DVD. I have a Dazzle DVC 80 device that I could never get
the audio to come across with the video. I want to upgrade to a
better device.

I have a P4 laprop with a DVD RW and USB 2.0 and S-Video output.
I am considering the following devices:

Plextor ConvertX Digital Video Converter (PX-M402U)

PLEXTOR USB2.0 Digital Video Converter, Model "ConvertX PX-AV100U"

Adaptec VideOh! DVD, Model "1980200"

Can anybody recommend one of these?

Thanks,
Paul
October 24, 2004 12:22:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Paul" <paulsgooglenew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:71e77f8f.0410231001.2ce953a6@posting.google.com...
>I want to capture VHS videos and bring them to my Laptop to edit and
> write to a DVD. I have a Dazzle DVC 80 device that I could never get
> the audio to come across with the video. I want to upgrade to a
> better device.
>
> I have a P4 laprop with a DVD RW and USB 2.0 and S-Video output.
> I am considering the following devices:
>
> Plextor ConvertX Digital Video Converter (PX-M402U)
>
> PLEXTOR USB2.0 Digital Video Converter, Model "ConvertX PX-AV100U"
>
> Adaptec VideOh! DVD, Model "1980200"
>
> Can anybody recommend one of these?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Paul,
A couple of things first, is your laptop powerful enough to capture and edit
in dv format? If so then a device called a AD?DV converter, like the Canopus
ADVC-100 which uses 1394 to the computer and converts the analog video and
audio into pure DV-AVI into the computer can be used, then edited in
software like Premiere etc and then as a final step when editing is
complete, encoded to mpeg2 for burning to a dvd using a separate dvd
authoring software, like encore.
If the laptop can't really handle the dv compressed avi files, then a device
like the PX-M402U which I believe can capture directly to mpeg2 files, as
well as smaller mpeg4 files, can be used. It will put less strain on your
laptop as the mpeg2 files are compressed about 200 to 1 over regular avi
files. So it will be easier to handle on the hard drive etc..
Editing was always more difficult on mpeg2 because of the compressed nature
of the data stored in that format, but newer software uses different methods
which seem to work well for home users and it might be a better option for
you with the laptop.
I suggest you buy the device from a dealer with a 30 day return policy, try
it out and see if it works well for you and if so, enjoy and welcome to the
world of digital editing. if not then return it and try again. :) 

Hope this helps, also read the tutorials on www.videoguys.com and
www.videohelp.com for more ideas.
AnthonyR.
October 24, 2004 12:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks for the great information Anthony! My laptop is a 3.0 ghz with
512 mb ram. Do you know if the plextor comes with editing software?
I have myDVD for creating a DVD and am happy with that. So will the
plextor bring the video to my pc as either mpeg or avi?

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message news:<b4zed.33475$4C.7717608@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> "Paul" <paulsgooglenew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:71e77f8f.0410231001.2ce953a6@posting.google.com...
> >I want to capture VHS videos and bring them to my Laptop to edit and
> > write to a DVD. I have a Dazzle DVC 80 device that I could never get
> > the audio to come across with the video. I want to upgrade to a
> > better device.
> >
> > I have a P4 laprop with a DVD RW and USB 2.0 and S-Video output.
> > I am considering the following devices:
> >
> > Plextor ConvertX Digital Video Converter (PX-M402U)
> >
> > PLEXTOR USB2.0 Digital Video Converter, Model "ConvertX PX-AV100U"
> >
> > Adaptec VideOh! DVD, Model "1980200"
> >
> > Can anybody recommend one of these?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
>
> Paul,
> A couple of things first, is your laptop powerful enough to capture and edit
> in dv format? If so then a device called a AD?DV converter, like the Canopus
> ADVC-100 which uses 1394 to the computer and converts the analog video and
> audio into pure DV-AVI into the computer can be used, then edited in
> software like Premiere etc and then as a final step when editing is
> complete, encoded to mpeg2 for burning to a dvd using a separate dvd
> authoring software, like encore.
> If the laptop can't really handle the dv compressed avi files, then a device
> like the PX-M402U which I believe can capture directly to mpeg2 files, as
> well as smaller mpeg4 files, can be used. It will put less strain on your
> laptop as the mpeg2 files are compressed about 200 to 1 over regular avi
> files. So it will be easier to handle on the hard drive etc..
> Editing was always more difficult on mpeg2 because of the compressed nature
> of the data stored in that format, but newer software uses different methods
> which seem to work well for home users and it might be a better option for
> you with the laptop.
> I suggest you buy the device from a dealer with a 30 day return policy, try
> it out and see if it works well for you and if so, enjoy and welcome to the
> world of digital editing. if not then return it and try again. :) 
>
> Hope this helps, also read the tutorials on www.videoguys.com and
> www.videohelp.com for more ideas.
> AnthonyR.
Related resources
October 24, 2004 12:24:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

You can see a few more reviews (generally well written, but you never
know the qualifications of the user/reviewer) by going to
epinions.com, resellerratings.com, and the like. When I was shopping
for a similar device, I noticed tha the Adaptec got screamingly bad
reviews, but I don't recall how plextor fared.

I agree with the comments suggesting that you capture to DV-AVI. It
offers a good starting place for editing.

Does your laptop not also have a firewire (1394) input? Although USB-2
has plenty of bandwidth for video capture, firewire has the slight
advantage in that it's the "native" digital interface for camcorders
and such.

I ended up with an ADS Pyro A/V link after my search. It read one very
negative review from a user who sounded expert, but I took a chance
that his situation was unique, or later firmware had resolved it, and
I've run enough hours of video into the box to be very happy with it.
Unfortunately as it relates to your question, it's just 1394 out,
although ADS does offer USB also in other boxes in their lineup.

Good luck in your search.

paulsgooglenew@yahoo.com (Paul) wrote:

>I want to capture VHS videos and bring them to my Laptop to edit and
>write to a DVD. I have a Dazzle DVC 80 device that I could never get
>the audio to come across with the video. I want to upgrade to a
>better device.
>
>I have a P4 laprop with a DVD RW and USB 2.0 and S-Video output.
>I am considering the following devices:
>
>Plextor ConvertX Digital Video Converter (PX-M402U)
>
>PLEXTOR USB2.0 Digital Video Converter, Model "ConvertX PX-AV100U"
>
>Adaptec VideOh! DVD, Model "1980200"
>
>Can anybody recommend one of these?
>
>Thanks,
>Paul
October 25, 2004 2:29:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Paul" <paulsgooglenew@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:71e77f8f.0410231846.4ff984d0@posting.google.com...
> Thanks for the great information Anthony! My laptop is a 3.0 ghz with
> 512 mb ram. Do you know if the plextor comes with editing software?
> I have myDVD for creating a DVD and am happy with that. So will the
> plextor bring the video to my pc as either mpeg or avi?
>

Paul,
Not sure, but from what I read I think the Plextor can capture in avi also
besides all the mpeg formats.
So that is good, if it's true, I don't have the device myself so can say for
sure.
It probably comes with some type of software, maybe neoDVD 4? not sure what
I read.
if so, it probably isn't that good but you can alsways change software after
wards.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

if you note on the bottom it shows dv-avi as one of the capture formats, so
claims to do them all! Hmmm?

Good Luck, on what you decide.
:) 

Oh, if you want to try an external USB2 capture device with TV tuner for
cheap, I just seen this in www.tigerdirect.com for only $29 after $40
rebates. it might work well on a laptop to experiment with for starters.
it only captures in mpeg from what I see and includes its own mpeg editor,
can't be that great but you never know for the money?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

AnthonyR.
!