Slow Link Not Detected Over DSL VPN

When connecting over a 512k ADSL VPN and logging on, the 'slow link detection' fails to detect the link as slow, even if i set the SlowLinkTimeOut as low as 1.

This causes me a problem in the the users profile is downloaded across the link which is a very slow process.

Make sure you read the full article.. The item you mention is for
Group Policy only..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B227260

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:41:02 -0700, "Andy Mackey" <Andy
Mackey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When connecting over a 512k ADSL VPN and logging on, the 'slow link detection' fails to detect the link as slow, even if i set the SlowLinkTimeOut as low as 1.
>
>This causes me a problem in the the users profile is downloaded across the link which is a very slow process.

I have had this working in a non AD environment for a previous client without using group policies and by setting the registry keys. Admittedly it was using Windows 2000 rather than XP.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Make sure you read the full article.. The item you mention is for
> Group Policy only..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B227260
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:41:02 -0700, "Andy Mackey" <Andy
> Mackey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When connecting over a 512k ADSL VPN and logging on, the 'slow link detection' fails to detect the link as slow, even if i set the SlowLinkTimeOut as low as 1.
> >
> >This causes me a problem in the the users profile is downloaded across the link which is a very slow process.

I've enabled 'user environment debug logging' to help to diagnose the problem. There is no entry to show that slowlink detection has run at all.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Make sure you read the full article.. The item you mention is for
> Group Policy only..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B227260
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:41:02 -0700, "Andy Mackey" <Andy
> Mackey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When connecting over a 512k ADSL VPN and logging on, the 'slow link detection' fails to detect the link as slow, even if i set the SlowLinkTimeOut as low as 1.
> >
> >This causes me a problem in the the users profile is downloaded across the link which is a very slow process.

What I meant was this section:

Effects on Roaming User Profiles
Roaming user profiles are not required to be stored on a server on
which TCP/IP is an installed protocol. However, when a user attempts
to download a roaming user profile, the IP slow link detection
mechanism is used first. If Windows 2000 detects that the server on
which the roaming user profile is located does not support TCP/IP, it
uses the method used by Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and earlier versions,
whereby the time it takes the server to respond to a request for the
file attributes of the profile are timed and compared to the value
determining a slow network.

The administrator can specify the connection speed that determines a
slow network when user profiles are being downloaded:

1. In the Active Directory Users and Computers Microsoft Management
Console (MMC) snap-in, right-click the site, domain, or Organizational
Unit in which the Group Policy Object (GPO) exists that will contain
the policy for the connection speed, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Group Policy tab, click the appropriate GPO, and then
click Edit.
3. To change the slow link detection speed for Windows 2000 when a
user's roaming user profile is being downloaded, expand the Computer
Configuration node and navigate to the Administrative
Templates\System\Logon folder. Modify the Slow network connection
timeout for user profiles policy. This policy uses two values, one in
kbps for the TCP/IP slow network detection mechanism and one in ms
(milliseconds) for the time to contact server. To disable slow link
detection, use 0 (zero) for these values. By default, the connection
speed is set to 500 (kbps) and the time is set to 120 (milliseconds).
4. Close the Group Policy MMC snap-in.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:55:01 -0700, "Andy Mackey"